Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:16:19 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bizarre, Sometimes Arty and Just Flat Out Weird Bad Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bizarre, Sometimes Arty and Just Flat Out Weird Bad Movies  (Read 9485 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: January 27, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »

There are some bad movies that just come across in such a way as to make one wonder just what the hell those behind it were thinking or perhaps experimenting with at the time of its creation. Some of these films have elements that perhaps try and move a film into the realm of "art" or "artistic expression" but the end result just ends up being bizarre and leaves most viewers scratching their head going "what the hell??!!" or "WTF!" is up with this. Most of their film posters make these films look so much better than they actually are too. Feel free to add movies that left you wondering about your sanity watching them as well.

Some films that left me scratching my head wondering what the hell include:

The Fat Spy (1966): This one tries to mix in spy thrills via rival marketing companies after the fountain of youth with a beach party movie. Actually the beach party portion of the film proves a lot more agreeable, with some nice location scenery and some cheesy songs, than all the silly spy hijinks with Phyllis Diller, Jack E. Leonard and Brian Donlevy all giving rather bizarre and downright embarrassing performances, kind of like aging over the hill beatniks. Jayne Mansfield is also on hand to provide some eye candy while the beach party teenagers are on a scavenger hunt almost in the background. Truly one of the most offbeat bad films you'll ever see but also oddly fascinating in that bad movie way.

The Little Shop of Horrors (1960): Actually Corman directed a few oddities that seemed to mix in elements of art film with comedy parody mixed with horror. This is arguably one of the very best of its type but is also truly weird and unquestionably strange. We see the common visitors who visit Mushnick's Flowers, a skid row flower shop and those in the surrounding neighborhood they are an odd group indeed. There's the man who likes to eat flowers - Burson Fouch (d**k Miller), the clumsy and clueless lead Seymour Krelboyne (Jonathan Haze) who comes to serve his carnivorous plant Audry Jr. even after he learns it demands blood for food!, Seymour's mom Winifred (Myrtle Vail) who's obsessed with the idea she's sick and uses cough syrup and medicine as regular food and beverage, the equally clueless Audry (Jackie Joseph) who acts as Seymour's love interest and spends most of the movie just looking like a pretty deer in headlights who commonly mispronounces everything she says. And at the dentist office we get to see a young Jack Nicholson as a masochistic dental patient named Wilbur Force, an early role that eventually led to Nicholson being mass marketed on most of the covers of cheapo DVDs for this movie despite his role being very short. And that's just some of the strangeness going on here which seems to be neverending really.

Creature From the Haunted Sea (1961): Actually kind of similar on some levels to Little Shop, this one is more focused on a strange sea monster who terrorizes a group of criminals on a boat looking to steal the stolen National Treasury of Cuba. This one too is filled with strange characters doing bizarre things and an hilarious looking monster. Nevertheless, this proves tougher slugging that Little Shop and has more dull moments and its arty attempts at comedy feel more forced yet it does have its moments here and there.

The Nasty Rabbit (1964): this one stars the one and only Arch Hall Jr. and is arguably the wildest and weirdest movie in which he ever appeared. For the most part it seems to make little sense but apparently the whacked plot involves Russian spies who let loose a "nasty" rabbit secretly infected with a deadly bacteria in the U.S. and its supposed to be get this - a comedy. It's horrendous awful but yet it's hard to take one's eyes off this disaster piece of bizarreness too especially if you have that acquired taste for terrible bad movies.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:33:13 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »

Well, I'll have to check out THE FAT SPY and NASTY RABBIT.  CREATURE FROM THE HAUNTED SEA gets pretty weird at times but I think I'd call LITTLE SHOP more "offbeat."

I have a whole category devoted to this stuff on my site: http://366weirdmovies.com/tag/so-bad-its-weird.

Too many movies to list individually but the highlights are SKIDOO (Jackie Gleason dropping acid), ZARDOZ (Sean Connery in a red diaper), MANIAC (cat skinning, eyeball eating, syringe catfight), THE BEAST OF YUCCA FLATS (Tor Johnson and haiku narration), BLOOD DINER (gore comedy with a Hitler fetish), and HORRORS OF SPIDER ISLAND (misogynists on Spider Island).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:44:05 PM »

Fat Spy and Nasty Rabbit are both in the public domain I think and I'm pretty sure both are easily available to watch online, not sure about the quality though.

Agree with your picks, which are really quite fitting, too. I've seen all those except Ski-Doo and Blood Diner.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 03:00:08 PM »

SKIDOO was released on dvd last year (I own it, but haven't looked at it yet...  Bluesad)
It's cool. 

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
major jay
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »

I gotta go with SKIDOO.
It's the older generation trying to be hip.(never a good idea)

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:01:20 PM »

Should warn you Rev., Fat Spy and Nasty Rabbit are both really, truly awful (IMO anyways).

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:27:28 PM »

This immediately comes to mind....

Small | Large

as does this....

Small | Large

and this....

Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »

The Ninth Gate. Maybe I was just too young when I watched it, but I seem to remember it as a movie that started off alright with an interesting premise...that then got pretty pretentious and symbol-laden without realizing that it had become kind of goofy. 
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »

Alan, I have yet to see any of those but now my interest has definitely increased...

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »

Alan, I have yet to see any of those but now my interest has definitely increased...

There's these, too....

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »

Sometimes you feel sorry for her...sometimes you can't...and sometimes you just wonder what is this woman on? Question

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
molokai cargo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 03:53:20 PM »

Thinking,

Candy

Richard Burton, Ringo Star and an all star cast take us through the hippie years apexhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XghPOP2b9mw
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:44 PM »

There are some really good examples here, but what immediately came to my mind is "Sins of the Fleshapoids."

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/sinfleshapoid/

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »

Many bad movies from the 60's and 70's are flat out weird. The first two Coffin Joe movies come to mind. They are disturbing to me because they carry a message that is at times strangely logical, but at other times utterly depraved.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pacman000
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »

I have a 50 movie pack with quite a few films that could qualify.

The worst (so far) has been "They," a movie so bad that Bill Rebane decided to use a pseudonym!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bizarre, Sometimes Arty and Just Flat Out Weird Bad Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.