Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:37:43 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Paranormal Activity 3 (2011) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)  (Read 1618 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 19, 2011, 05:30:31 AM »

So a few friends and I got the chance to see PA3 at a free advanced screening this week, so I thought I'd share some thoughts to those who may be interested.

PA3 is a bit of a prequel, in that the bulk of the film is shot in the 80s when the two sisters from the first two were young kids.  The set up is pretty much the same: the mother's new boyfriend, who just happens to film weddings [and therefore has all the gear] starts to notice the girls acting odd, and strange goings on keep happening in the house.  In order to solve this mystery, he sets up some cameras, and then more crazy stuff happens.

The End.

Well its actually a bit bitter than that, but its still pretty much a duplicate of the first two but with a bit more backstory to it and some new scares.

Seeing it in a packed cinema with an audience who wanted to be there is always a benefit: the atmosphere in the cinema was terrific.  The way the cameras are set up also provides quite a nice touch to amping up some of the scary moments, in particular a camera that they attach to a fan which rotates from side to side, essentially making it somewhat of a security camera: things happen on screen, but then the camera pans away and it was a pretty nice touch.  Built some suspense up well.

Plus it has kids, and you know they're always kind of scary.

I won't go into the main plot points because its not so important, just know that if you liked the first two, you'll like this one.  If you didn't like either than you won't like this either, all purely because it's more of the same thing.  There's no really big surprises, a few plot twists but its a fairly predictable ride really.  What it does well is sound design: when scares happen it gets pretty loud which goes a long way towards making everything scarier.

The scares were, in my mind, less frequent than the others, but when they happened, generally they were better, so I'd rate this one above PA2 purely for that reason.

Anywho, not much in the way of a review, but thought I'd share a few impressions to those who may enjoy the franchise!

Anyways, here's the trailer below:

Small | Large

Also here's a clip from our screening [because it was a promoted worldwide advanced screening they filmed the crowd etc, I make an appearance in the background a couple of times, tall, red shirt, glasses [in particular behind my friend at about 1min in who gives the thumbs up]

Small | Large

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 05:59:38 AM »

Never seen part 1...but I did rent part 2.
I found it very long and drawn out in parts-lotsa shots of empty rooms.
But when the scares came-it was fun.
No classic-but very enjoyable.  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »

I have Paranormal Activity 1 on dvd.

I watched half of it, once, and fell asleep halway through. 

The half I did see didn't interest me enough to re-watch to see the end.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »

I enjoyed the first one personally. It was a refreshing change from the norm for me, and, IMHO, the best "found footage" piece I've seen. I thought the second one was so-so. The promos for this one don't interest me at all. It comes across as if they're going to tie up a trilogy and make sure they throw in more bang for the buck, more jumps per square inch, yadda yadda yadda. I prefer the original in that it was more understated and subdued. Some found that boring, and I don't hold that against them, but for me, I don't have to have every freaking question handed to me on a silver platter. I like ambiguity. I like using my own imagination. I don't need the entire backstory explained to me, and I prefer that it not be.

I must be a dying breed.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »

Loved the first, thought the second was way subpar and as for this one I probably have no hope.  Funny when the budget goes up, the quality of the film goes down.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »

The theatre crowd is kinda fun with these things,  but these aren't actual movies. This is like something at an amusement park. That's all most movies are these days, just something fit to screen at Six Flags on Fright Night.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:01:15 PM »

I saw the first one, like for the most part.  Have not seen the second one.  I will have to see the second one then the third.

Thanks for the write up.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 10:59:19 PM »

My Daughters and I watched this one tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Kinda funny, Becca is my horror movie queen - she loves suspense films, but not slashers, so this one was right up her alley!  Rachel watches CHILLER a good bit, but this was her first time to sit through an unedited R rated horror film, and she was pretty freaked out, especially by the ending!  This is a good franchise overall, and this one, I thought, was maybe the best of the three.

But as far as "found footage" type films, I will still take GRAVE ENCOUNTERS over any of them! LOL

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
akiratubo

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 12:16:11 AM »

I have Paranormal Activity 1 on dvd.

I watched half of it, once, and fell asleep halway through. 

The half I did see didn't interest me enough to re-watch to see the end.

This mirrors my experience watching it almost exactly, except that I didn't fall asleep.  I just turned it off to go do something else and never felt the urge to finish it.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Paranormal Activity 3 (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.