Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:46:42 AM
714200 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  "This is a portrait of my brain" 80's movie « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "This is a portrait of my brain" 80's movie  (Read 7598 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 01, 2012, 03:06:27 AM »

I think this one should be pretty simple, as I have the sense that it was a fairly popular or well known 80's or perhaps early 90's movie.

The only scene that I remember is near the beginning, of a father walking into his son's bedroom, and turning on the VCR.  The son has recorded a video that shows him saying, "Hi Dad.  This is a portrait of my brain this morning," or, "this shows my state of mind this morning," or words to that effect.

What follows are rapidly cut scenes from war movies, atomic bomb explosions, rock concerts with wild musicians, a woman in a bikini with water running down her.  Something like that.

Any ideas?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »

That sounds like a scene from Down and Out in Bevery Hills (1986).

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:25:20 PM »

Yeah, I can't find a clip, but this definitely sounds like Down and Out in Beverly Hills. The father's (Richard Dreyfuss) is a rich Beverly resident whose son he cannot relate to. The son communicates with his dad in indirect ways, like making videos like you're talking about. I'm almost certain this is the movie.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 09:29:20 AM »

Okay, so this is bizarre. I haven't seen Down and Out in Beverly Hills since the 80's. I also have never noticed it on cable when looking through the guide. Lo and behold, I'm looking through the guide yesterday through the pay channels, and there it was, toward the beginning. I remembered this thread and put it on just in time to see the scene Archivist was referring to. I'm talking right as the scene is beginning. One of those freaky synchronicity deals.

Now I'm certain this is the movie. The son is a typical spoiled rich kid, also with gender confusion issues, and makes cynical multi-media videos for his dad to watch vs. actually talking to him directly. A good "rich dysfunctional family" bit that is wasted in an otherwise very mediocre comedy.

Archivist

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:10:25 AM »

Absolutely, positively it.  Flick James, you are the man.  Thank you!  TeddyR

I tend to agree with your opinion about Down and Out, too.  I found it a painful movie, one that forever soiled my impression of Nick Nolte as an actor.  The notion of the son using video to communicate could have been really good, but it was given only minor importance in the overall scheme of awfulness that was that movie.

Equally cool is the coincidence of it being on TV!

Thanks again!  You rock!   Thumbup

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  "This is a portrait of my brain" 80's movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.