Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:03:22 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  An Anti-Super Bowl thread « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: An Anti-Super Bowl thread  (Read 9153 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: February 05, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »

My dislike of most professional sports is something that I'm usually not shy about sharing.  I can maybe appreciate them for city pride and revenue they bring to local businesses, but I can think of much better things to due with my time.   And since, most of the commercials are already online or soon will be, there is no real reason for me to watch the Super Bowl today. Plus, I know I'm not alone in my views. Here's a list from cracked.com that pretty much tells reasons why.  I've been a victim of #3 more then I care for.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19670_the-5-most-annoying-things-about-sports-to-non-sports-fans.html

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »

I won't watch the game and have no idea who's even playing.  The only football I've seen this year was when a guest in the homes of others.

As much as I detest cracked.com and their stupid lists...I've got to confess that that one was pretty spot on.

I'll spend today working in the shop.  It's rainy (and chilly), so I won't be at the boatyard, but I've got tons of woodwork and fiberglass work to do inside.

As the lists says....just about anything is more productive than sitting and watching a game for several hours.  However, my bigger beef is not even with the game itself...it's all the hype.  They game does not begin for six hours or so, but I'll be they are already showing coverage and yacking (nonsensically) about it...NOW.

Arg.  What a waste....

One of the new phrases I've taken to is "activity breeds results."  Sitting on my butt watching people TALK about playing a game is not "activity."  My work (or even play) does not get done that way.

Peace out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »

I'm a big fan of American football and baseball.  I will watch hockey and basketball occasionally, but mostly only if Boston teams are in the playoffs.  I already bought my cold cuts and fresh bread for today's game and am just about to start cooking my chili in the crock pot.  The Super Bowl is the one annual sporting event I never miss no matter who is playing.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:54:50 PM »

TongueOut The only thing about football that ever interested me, was that Joe Namath was a lot better in "CC & Company" than that Bozweell character was in "Stone Cold".  TongueOut

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 12:58:30 PM »

I'll probably watch some of it.  I'd be surprised if I make it to the end unless it's a close, exciting game.  I'll either get bored or they'll start hitting me with so many commercial breaks I'll forget I'm even watching it and switch over to "How It's Made" or something.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »

Big fan of football (American...rest of the world football is Soccer). Will be watching.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »

I couldn't care less about football but yet I recently had a conversation with an old friend who was super excited about this and rattled on about it...it was like he couldn't believe it when I said I had no real interest in it myself - I did try watching it in the past as well as baseball and honestly was bored to tears and fell asleep. Honestly I don't care much for any sports aside from pro wrestling which is more entertainment than sport anyways and a little bit of NHL hockey then and again.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »

I couldn't care less about football but yet I recently had a conversation with an old friend who was super excited about this and rattled on about it...it was like he couldn't believe it when I said I had no real interest in it myself - I did try watching it in the past as well as baseball and honestly was bored to tears and fell asleep. Honestly I don't care much for any sports aside from pro wrestling which is more entertainment than sport anyways and a little bit of NHL hockey then and again.
Me, I could drone on and on about NHL and WWE, so eh.

Baseball fan too, and attend several games per season on that front.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »

Super Bowl is in my blood.  In my family, Super Bowl Sunday has always been treated as a holiday.  Lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins gathering together and eating tons of food before and during the game.  This year was a bit more low-key than some past years.  It was just me, my wife, my mom, and my dad.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:38:36 AM »

I never cared for football. Hockey I will watch...in person, and only if I'm with someone. At least my eyes are generally better at keeping up with the puck than the majority of cameras. But yeah, next time someone tries to get me into sports by trying to make me watch a game, I may have to threaten to either ramble on about art theory or drag them to a conceptual art exhibition under the guise of "getting them into art."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 12:04:11 PM »

I used to watch pro sports back in the day.  After realizing these folks get paid ridiculous amounts win or lose it really hit me as not worth watching.

For fun though I watched the game yesterday.  It brought back memories of being stressed out while watching it.  That will probably be enough to make me stop again.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:06:32 PM by DS » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »

I am a baseball nut. Always have been. I appreciate sports of all kinds, however, I just don't follow much other than baseball. The dumbs**t juvenile animalistic behavior that seems to accompany American football is quite annoying to me, which is why I tend not to follow it closely. Following it closely means I have to run into the behavior that I despise, but I have nothing against the sport. competitive sport has been around for millenia, so it is a part of the fabric of humanity, so I don't really put any energy into hating it.

I do find interesting, however, the way different sports are perceived by different cultures. Among the group of people locally in Arizona that participate in Irish traditional music sessions is a woman from Ireland who lives maybe a quarter of her life in Ireland and the rest here. She's quite a brilliant concertina player. The pub that she usually goes to for sessions has several flatscreens located throughout that are usually turned down during sessions, but still show sporting events, invariably American football during the season. I asked her between sets once if she followed American football at all. She said she didn't. She found the game boring when compared to soccer. That's interesting, because many Americans find soccer to be boring.

I guess it all depends what you have been exposed to, what you understand, and what you're inclined to. I find baseball infinitely more interesting than football, but many find it insanely boring. I don't worry about it too much. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be wired for baseball. 162 games a year to watch vs. 16 for football. I consider myself the winner in my book.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »

Wow, you mean there are other people besides me that ignore the Super Bowl? I thought I was the only one!!  TeddyR

...but seriously folks, I'll watch baseball and hockey occasionally but I've never been a football guy. So Super Bowl Sunday is just another day to me. Last night my wife watched the game while I went upstairs and watched "Thor." Geez, I'm a geek.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »

I watched it like I do every year.. but man, I could do without the commercials pretty much.  They were really bad this year.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 04:08:56 PM »

I like football but since the Dallas Cowboys weren't in it I didn't care. Thumbdown

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  An Anti-Super Bowl thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.