Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:03:26 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  An Anti-Super Bowl thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: An Anti-Super Bowl thread  (Read 9152 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »

Last night my wife watched the game while I went upstairs and watched "Thor." Geez, I'm a geek.

I spent it taking notes and writing the rough draft for a review of BloodRayne 2: Deliverance

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 05:55:56 PM »

I really can't stand the sport, and didn't even think about it. Lol. Hand-egg.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »

Go Dolphins!

Jim H

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 06:04:20 PM »

I spent most of the time hanging out with a couple friends.  We played a little Super Nintendo and 360, watched a zombie film (Rammbok), and a few episodes of TV shows.  Good times.   Thumbup

Better than the Super Bowl anyway.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »

Seems weird to be one of the few (apparently) fans of sports here.

I understand that, somewhat. I'm not a fan of the exhorbitantly high prices they get paid, 'for playing a game', but, they have to play and practice hard. And the emotion alone involved is so great and overwhelming.

I broke down and cried in 2008 when the Phillies won the World Series. The last time they won that championship was before I was born, and the last time ANY sports title had been won in Philly was in '83, the NBA title with the Sixers (also before I was born).

As a lifelong baseball fan who'd attended numerous games as a youth, teen, an now in my 20s, it was amazing.

I'd love if the Eagles were in it, but, regardless, I watch the Bowl every year.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »

I'm a pretty big baseball fan...I love the game.  I don't watch it though.

I love to PLAY baseball/softball.

I also enjoy going to games, but have spent far more time at minor league games than major.

Football and the Super Bowl is on a whole other plane from all these other sports mentioned....the fanaticism gets beyond reasonable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 07:57:06 AM »

I actually watched the whole game, including the halftime show LOL.  At least it was close and went right down to the end.  I guess the main attraction for me is that it's the last football game of the year, so watch it now because there won't be another one until August.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »

I also enjoy going to games, but have spent far more time at minor league games than major.

ulthar,

I LOVE minor league baseball. Well, I love MLB too, that's beside the point, but there's just something much more old school "baseball" about the minors. Well, that and you don't have to pay $15 just for the nosebleeds. I used to live in Norfolk, Virginia when I was in the Navy. They don't have a major sports team of any kind, but plenty of AAA type stuff. I used to go watch the Norfolk Tides. They are the AAA farm team for the Mets. They weren't a great team the year I was there, usually 3rd or 4th in their division, but I didn't care. I could go and pay $9 for a game, but usually I would just pay the extra $3 and get the good seats. The people going to the games were always very cool. I'd just go to the park, take in a game and a beer or two, maybe some refreshments, and always go home satisfied with the experience.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
ulthar

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:12 AM »

ulthar,

I LOVE minor league baseball. Well, I love MLB too, that's beside the point, but there's just something much more old school "baseball" about the minors. Well, that and you don't have to pay $15 just for the nosebleeds. I used to live in Norfolk, Virginia when I was in the Navy. They don't have a major sports team of any kind, but plenty of AAA type stuff. I used to go watch the Norfolk Tides. They are the AAA farm team for the Mets. They weren't a great team the year I was there, usually 3rd or 4th in their division, but I didn't care. I could go and pay $9 for a game, but usually I would just pay the extra $3 and get the good seats. The people going to the games were always very cool. I'd just go to the park, take in a game and a beer or two, maybe some refreshments, and always go home satisfied with the experience.

Oh man, what memories of the Durham Bulls in the OLD park (the one shown in the movie).  That was so much fun...being simply a ball field downtown, there was ZERO parking...so, you parked in (closed) business lots and people's driveways (with their permission) and such and walk to the park.

The "atmosphere" was tremendous - it was a GREAT evening out for young and old.

I almost cried when I learned they were building the Bulls a concrete and glass "stadium."  I'm dating myself.   Wink

Now, I've managed to miss seeing the Kinston Indians, as 2011 was their last year in Kinston.  Another "staple" of sports history gone...or at least "changed."

My wife's nephew came to visit a few years ago, and we took him to a Minor League game in the town we were in at the time.  At 14, he'd never been to a baseball game at all.  I caught a foul ball for him and gave it to him, and his face lit up...he thought it was something else.  Don't know if he still has the ball...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 02:31:10 PM »

I watch baseball on occaision, ut thats all my TV sports.  I like most live sports.  What amazes me about the Superbowl and similar (and World Cup to be fair)... is the sheer amount of time effort and money spent by parties on an activity that will have no possible practical impact on the lives of the millions of people watching it. 

The second thing is that so much of the focus is on commercials.  It is amazing, truly amazing. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 03:24:02 PM »

I understand that, somewhat. I'm not a fan of the exhorbitantly high prices they get paid, 'for playing a game', but, they have to play and practice hard.

Professional sports are part of the entertainment industry.  I think a lot of people forget that.  Athletes are paid for providing entertainment and bringing in revenues from ticket sales, television broadcasts, concessions, and other revenue streams.  If you compare how much money they make to how much actors, musicians, and other entertainers make . . . and then factor in that athletes are much more prone to serious injuries than other entertainers . . . suddenly, they don't seem to be quite as overpaid as people think they are.  For instance, take a look at Dennis Byrd who ended up with a broken vertebra from "playing a game," and never played football again.  I don't think George Clooney or Bono face the same risks.  They get paid pretty well for playing dress-up and singing.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:38:59 PM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »

I gotta go on record, though, that my 'playing a game' wasn't my opinion. It's one I've read on here and other forums.

Bono sucks though.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 07:43:53 PM »

I gotta go on record, though, that my 'playing a game' wasn't my opinion. It's one I've read on here and other forums.

Bono sucks though.

I agree wholeheartedly with Burgo's message. But I understood that you were mostly echoing some common sentiments, not necessarily making a personal statement.

For my two cents on the subject which Burgo is broaching, I've always been fascinated by the complaint of joe schmoe that says celebrities/athletes/etc. make too much money. What they never say is how much money they are supposed to make. If they are over-compensated, then what exactly would be appropriate compensation? They never say.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
ulthar

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »

For my two cents on the subject which Burgo is broaching, I've always been fascinated by the complaint of joe schmoe that says celebrities/athletes/etc. make too much money. What they never say is how much money they are supposed to make. If they are over-compensated, then what exactly would be appropriate compensation? They never say.

Or even better, make the statement while standing there in a Carolina Panthers (or whatever) jersey.

People like to complain about anyone that makes more money than them...no matter what the job or the reason.  It's the offspring of the "have vs have-not" culture we have created.  Thanks, Karl!

--Real Genius
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 12:11:30 AM »

woulda been better if there were Parkour elements thrown in as a way to liven things up a bit.

yeah no.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  An Anti-Super Bowl thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.