Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:52:39 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dark Shadows (2012) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Dark Shadows (2012)  (Read 23345 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »

On the plus side-Johnathan Frid has a bit part-as does Chritopher Lee and Alice Cooper.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/fullcredits#cast

But-geez-Depp looks like a poof as Barnabas.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 10:27:59 AM »

Small | Large

Tim Burton says, and I quote: "Anybody who knows me knows that I would never read a comic book."  Which, to most, explains Batman.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 05:15:51 PM »

I'm looking forward to it, but don't have much in the way of expectations (I think ED WOOD might be the only TIM BURTON film I genuinely like, though I've not seen BIG FISH).  Contrary to what Indy wrote, I love HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (just watched it again recently on TCM and started a thread about it.)  I, too, grew up watching the original series, and watched reruns in two different decades and each time the series got creakier and creakier... and not in any kind of good way.  It was not aired live, but shot "live" and it's cringeworthy watching the actors forget their lines, stammering, the camera slipping off shot to show behind the sets (even crew members walking around) and being a daily soap, prolonged and really corny.  Still love it.  I even watched the early '90s revival (z'okay). 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »

I'm looking forward to it, but don't have much in the way of expectations (I think ED WOOD might be the only TIM BURTON film I genuinely like, though I've not seen BIG FISH).  Contrary to what Indy wrote, I love HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (just watched it again recently on TCM and started a thread about it.)  I, too, grew up watching the original series, and watched reruns in two different decades and each time the series got creakier and creakier... and not in any kind of good way.  It was not aired live, but shot "live" and it's cringeworthy watching the actors forget their lines, stammering, the camera slipping off shot to show behind the sets (even crew members walking around) and being a daily soap, prolonged and really corny.  Still love it.  I even watched the early '90s revival (z'okay). 
Big Fish is a pretty great movie, regardless of the director.  If you have an opportunity to catch it by any means, take it.  Will not be disappointed.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 05:11:31 AM »

I'm with Hallows on this regarding Tim Burton-Ed Wood is the only filn of his I enjoyed-with the exception of PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE.
It seems to me he always had style over substance.
I throughly enjoyed the film HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS-and even the non-Barnabus filn NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS.

Trivia time-
The facial appliances used by John Chambers on Jonathan Frid as Old Barnabus in HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (1974) were actually created for Dustin Hoffman in LITTLE BIG MAN (1970)!

Johnathan Frid as Old Barnabus.....

...and Dustin Hoffman  as Jack Crabb in LITTLE BIG MAN (1970)!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 05:58:37 AM »

Mofo,

While your feelings are a bit stronger than mine, we seem to be on similar wavelengths. I've always thought as you do, that he is a waste not because he is talentless, but because he IS talented. And yes, I agree that Big Fish shows what he is capable of. I have similar feelings about Ed Wood, but not to the extent of Big Fish.

I may have been a bit harsher than I meant to be, but I still think my criticisms are still valid.

To be fair, I still enjoy most Tim Burton films, even the lazy ones (although I had to turn off his Willy Wonka adaptation).

I think he's a victim of auteur-worship. I do like his own personal style, but it seems all he does these day is style over substance films. The people around him eat it up.

Compare him to Neil Gaiman. Gaiman explores much of the same territory that Burton treads, but Gaiman comes across as a singularly level-headed human being. Not that I think everything Gaiman does is great, but I respect him as a person.

I like "artistes" when they have the talent to back up their pretensions. But the people I like are the "artisans," the people who get right down into the nitty-gritty of artistic creation. Not for "Art" but just "art." The people in Henry Selick's studio all fit this mold, a man I respect more than Burton.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 08:08:55 AM »

I throughly enjoyed the film HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS-and even the non-Barnabus filn NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS.

I enjoyed House of Dark Shadows quite a bit too, but still haven't seen Night of Dark Shadows.  I see it's available for download from Amazon now, so maybe I'll check it out.

If there's one good thing that comes of this remake, hopefully it's that those two movies will finally get a DVD release.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »

Mofo,

While your feelings are a bit stronger than mine, we seem to be on similar wavelengths. I've always thought as you do, that he is a waste not because he is talentless, but because he IS talented. And yes, I agree that Big Fish shows what he is capable of. I have similar feelings about Ed Wood, but not to the extent of Big Fish.

I may have been a bit harsher than I meant to be, but I still think my criticisms are still valid.

To be fair, I still enjoy most Tim Burton films, even the lazy ones (although I had to turn off his Willy Wonka adaptation).

I think he's a victim of auteur-worship. I do like his own personal style, but it seems all he does these day is style over substance films. The people around him eat it up.

Compare him to Neil Gaiman. Gaiman explores much of the same territory that Burton treads, but Gaiman comes across as a singularly level-headed human being. Not that I think everything Gaiman does is great, but I respect him as a person.

I like "artistes" when they have the talent to back up their pretensions. But the people I like are the "artisans," the people who get right down into the nitty-gritty of artistic creation. Not for "Art" but just "art." The people in Henry Selick's studio all fit this mold, a man I respect more than Burton.

Good observation. I went to high school with Jerome Ranft, who has since gone on to work on a lot of Tim Burton and Pixar movies as a sculptor. Watch any Tim Burton movie from about The Nightmare Before Christmas on, or any Pixar movie from about A Bug's Life on and you're likely to see his name in the credits. Incidentally, his older brother Joe Ranft was heavily involved with Pixar and was killed in a car crash before Cars was released, and if you watch the credits you'll see that the movie was dedicated to him.

Anyway, I talked to Jerome when he was first getting involved with Tim Burton and he kind of indicated that he was a very cool guy, but that he is essentially surrounded by people who endlessely placate his style. Everybody, major A-list actors even, when they are around him become almost sychophantic. That kind of environment would do that to almost anybody.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »

...Trivia time-
The facial appliances used by John Chambers on Jonathan Frid as Old Barnabus in HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (1974) were actually created for Dustin Hoffman in LITTLE BIG MAN (1970)...!
HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS is the same year as LITTLE BIG MAN: 1970

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »

...Trivia time-
The facial appliances used by John Chambers on Jonathan Frid as Old Barnabus in HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (1974) were actually created for Dustin Hoffman in LITTLE BIG MAN (1970)...!

DOH! Of course! As I has sed be'fo-I is an idiot.  Bluesad

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »

...Trivia time-

Well, you're my favorite idiot then.  Raffine had recently pointed out the mask re-use on my HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS thread. 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 11:58:47 PM »

...Trivia time-

Well, you're my favorite idiot then.  Raffine had recently pointed out the mask re-use on my HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS thread. 

Well-I'm proud to know Raffine knew it too!  Wink

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
claws
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 05:52:32 AM »

Trailer:

Small | Large
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »

I loved the Dark Shadows series when it ran on tv and watched it faithfully.  Looking back on it now, even with it's falling apart sets, flubbed lines, forgotten lines, and sometimes hysterically funny overacting,  it was still so much fun.

When I first heard it was going to made into a feature film, I thought ... cool.  But after having recently seen the trailer, I don't know.  Johnny Depp's "Barnabas Collins" looks like a Goth style version of Willy Wonka with a little bit of Uncle Fester thrown in.  And he still sounds like "Jack Sparrow" to me, only with a more refined accent.

On one hand I would like to see the film, but I have a strong feeling I'm going to be very disappointed.   Bluesad

Hold onto your dreams ....
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 06:51:21 AM »

...brain broke...

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dark Shadows (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.