Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:16:08 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Jason and the Argonauts « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jason and the Argonauts  (Read 2105 times)
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 20, 2011, 02:49:05 AM »

What are your thoughts? If I can be honest I think as a film, its quite weak. The script has many glaring problems, some of the acting is wooden, the story has pacing issues, the laughable voice over for some of Jason's dialog is distracting and the choreography for the action sequences doesn't quite look right since other then the skelton fight at the end, Jason didn't seem to be interacting with the creatures when clashing his swoard in battle. On the postive side, the designs are fantastic and the stop-motion is great, but its not exactly faithful on story or facts on greek mythology obviously.

I just really like the stop-motion stuff   
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »

I've always liked this film in the same way as I've always loved The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, because of the stop-motion work of Ray Harryhausen, and because it carries a nostalgic value from childhood viewings. Your criticisms are perfectly valid, but I still love it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 06:53:31 AM »

I don't really like this one.  I've only seen it once, I've seen the other Harryhausen movies a million times each, and I'd rather watch any of them for the 1,000,001st time than watch Jason and the Argonauts again.  To give you an idea of how low an opinion I have of it, as a stop-motion monster movie: I think this is the only Harryhausen movie that could be improved by a CGI remake.

Say what you will about how bad the non-monster parts of the other Harryhausen movies were, at least none of them were outright boring.  Not even Clash of the TitansJason and the Argonauts was very, very hard to sit through when there was no Harryhausen magic on screen.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:55:24 AM »

I think this is the only Harryhausen movie that could be improved by a CGI remake.

They already have rebooted it - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217579/

it was one of those direct to TV mini series, but it doesn't look like an improvement to me.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:25:52 AM »

It was my first  Harryhausen film, so it will always have a soft spot for it.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:14:47 PM »

As a big Harryhausen fan,this one is a favorite. I simply sit back and enjoy it. Thumbup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pacman000
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »

The movie feels like one of those long, "epic" movies they were making in the 50's/early 60's.  It's a bit dull, but it has a grand scale.  I do have one story related criticism: there is no real ending.  I can understand why they did that, but still, there should have been something.

I would also like to note that the FX are still amazing.  Sure, they might not look 100% realistic, but they can get someone to ask "How'd they do THAT?"
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »

I've always liked this film in the same way as I've always loved The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, because of the stop-motion work of Ray Harryhausen, and because it carries a nostalgic value from childhood viewings. Your criticisms are perfectly valid, but I still love it.

I must agree- this gem livened up many a summer movie program BITD, and it's a straight trip back to childhood pleasures.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »

I think this is the only Harryhausen movie that could be improved by a CGI remake.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217579/

No! NonononNO.
This is classic Harryhausen.
These movies aint made to be deep-they're pure escapism-and how would cgi improve it???
If you mean Talos jerky movements-I read an interview with Ray in an old Castle of Frankenstein magazine where he says he made the movements jerky delibertly-because he was made of bronze-and would be stiff.
This movie is a classic! A CLASSIC.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:10:25 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217579/

No! NonononNO.
This is classic Harryhausen.
These movies aint made to be deep-they're pure escapism-and how would cgi improve it???
If you mean Talos jerky movements-I read an interview with Ray in an old Castle of Frankenstein magazine where he says he made the movements jerky delibertly-because he was made of bronze-and would be stiff.
This movie is a classic! A CLASSIC.

Right on man. Right on.  Thumbup

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Jason and the Argonauts « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.