Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:42:43 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Singers/Bands Who Shift Genres « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Singers/Bands Who Shift Genres  (Read 7035 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 03:58:45 PM »

Pat Dubar has went through some startling changes with the different bands he's most famour for being involved with...

A number of these are probably NSFW due to potentially offensive lyrics

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 03:30:00 AM »

I think any good musician shifts genres by the nature of creative endeavor. It's rare to find originality right off the bat, most artists start by copying their influences until they can find their own voice. Even then, that voice may morph over the course of a career.

It's rarer to find an entire band that changes and still remains together.

One of my favorite bands, Radiohead, started off with a sort-of whiny college rock album that just happened to have one of the biggest hits of the past few decades. Then they released another album which was guitar-oriented and leagues and away better than their first. Then they released another few albums which steadily became more abstract.

Of course, there's the flip side. The band Sugar Ray was a very poor band, not really good at all. But their first album was a pop-punk focused affair, that just happened to have one hit song, "Fly," that did not sound like the rest of the album. That song became very popular, so the next album was entirely music in that vein. All garbage, of course, but they very readily changed their tune to what was radio-friendly.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 07:16:56 AM »

Circus you'll know this, what's the KISS album that sounds like grunge, a bit like soundgarden, doesn't sound like KISS at all? I swear I heard this unless I'm imagining it lol

Carnival Of Souls: The Final Sessions. They recorded it in '93 but it didn't come out 'til four years later. Awful record.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »

'93, just in time to cash in on grunge? (well not really if it didn't come out then). suppose a lot of bands did that as well tho'. sudden;y added a bit of "grunge" to their sound

like how now loads of crappy chart pop songs will have a 'dubstep' remix etc..

(not implying KISS is crappy  there btw TeddyR)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:38:17 AM by zombie #1 » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
claws
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:02 PM »

Sheena Easton went from pop to dance-pop (1981-1983), Minneapolis funk (1984-1987), did Urban/R&B (1988-1991) and jazz (1993).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:07:29 PM by claws » Logged
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50:37 AM »

'93, just in time to cash in on grunge? (well not really if it didn't come out then). suppose a lot of bands did that as well tho'. sudden;y added a bit of "grunge" to their sound

Yeah, lots of bands did it and failed. Basically because one half of the band thought it was a good idea or that the record company told them to otherwise they would be dropped. Many bands who were good, but slated for being associated with the "hair metal" movement went grunge and got even more flack. Grunge was like punk. Not technical, no need for lots of talent but an almost raw, devolution that came about as a backlash to modern society and pop culture.

In my collection, Wildside and Sven Gali are the worst offenders. Made a great debut album, on par with the likes of Guns N' Roses and Skid Row, then followed it up 3 years later with bland inaudible alt-rock.

voltron

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »

In my collection, Wildside and Sven Gali are the worst offenders. Made a great debut album, on par with the likes of Guns N' Roses and Skid Row, then followed it up 3 years later with bland inaudible alt-rock.
Don't forget Slick Toxic! Started off as hair metal then their next album was awful alt rock. I though they sucked either way.  Smile

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 05:46:54 PM »

I can vaguely remember tommy vance playing sven gali on the friday rock show but I think I was only interested in thrash back then and didn't pay attention. just checking some tracks out on YT and liking their tunes, although no one has uploaded any tracks from the second album

another band who shifted their style a lot is Husker du. their first album is hardcore punk and by their 5th or 6th album they were doing acoustic ballads and more alt/poppy sounding stuff

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Singers/Bands Who Shift Genres « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.