Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:42:24 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Bands: Which "Period" do you like best? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bands: Which "Period" do you like best?  (Read 9197 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 11:34:06 PM »

I've always been a huge R.E.M. fan. For me, they went truly downhill after Bill Berry left the group following I believe Monster. They started experimenting more then with more electronic sounding music. They still had some good songs and even some decent albums after that. Personally I think all early R.E.M. albums are gold especially Murmur, Reckoning, Lifes Rich Pageant, Fables of the Reconstruction and Document. Honestly I feel Green is every bit as good as those as well, perhaps even better. Out of Time has some great songs too but there was more experimentation there as well with other singers/rappers performing on the album too. Automatic for the People is pretty sweet too IMO. Monster has some great tunes too but I do consider it a lesser effort from them..pretty much from then on, they are more hit or miss although I personally think rather highly of some of their later stuff too.

Misfits were definitely better in the Danzig era. Michael Graves I liked too but agree with Happy, it was more a metal sound, but honestly past that they started to become more a mix of other bands.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:38 PM »

early Black Sabbath (1st album)
early Carcass (Reek of Putrefaction era)
early Paradise Lost (circa Gothic)
early Killing Joke (but I love all their work, tho, well, except for Outside The Gate)
mid period Pink Floyd (Meddle up to Animals)
later period Talk Talk (esp. Laughing Stock)

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »

Van Halen, era/period with David Lee Roth, circa '72 or so until '85.

I dig the Hagar years, but not so much as the albums/years with Roth.

I try to forget the Cherone years in '96-'00.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »

I like ROXY MUSIC's first five albums.  I like the last Avalon well enough but it's like another band...
I like all eras of THE ROLLING STONES though I like even the records ever'body hates, though I've not heard all the stinkers yet, I blew them off 30 years ago and am only now catching up with the later crap. 
I like PINK FLOYD up thru The Wall.  I even had Obscured by Clouds on vinyl (never listened to it though).
I liked two YES albums: Fragile and Close To The Edge... I had others, Drama, Tormato, Tales From Topographic Oceans, The Yes Album... I hated them all.  I especially hated the early and highly-regarded The Yes AlbumLookingup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »

I like PINK FLOYD up thru The Wall.  I even had Obscured by Clouds on vinyl (never listened to it though).

Seems odd, but I liked Floyd's The Division Bell, which most tell me is a poor choice.  But that was in '94 or so.  Mehhh....

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »

Seems odd, but I liked Floyd's The Division Bell, which most tell me is a poor choice.  But that was in '94 or so.  Mehhh....
I never got into The Final Cut, though I always intended to... after ROGER WATERS left, I had zero interest... I think before The Wall the other three did solo albums... I do remember NICK MASON's solo album had a bit of success (?) DAVE GILMOUR's was liked by the fans I'd guess, but the only one I had was RICHARD WRIGHT's Wet Dream... I liked his album, but nobody else had it.... 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »

For rock music-the  late 60's early 70's-like Hallows sed-the Rolling Stones,The Stooges,the New York Dolls,Black Sabbath-so much interesting diversty to choose from. Yeah-UMMA GUMMA era Pink Flyod,Led Zepplin-(aint talkin bot Stairway to Heaven-talkin bout Dazed and Confused),the Ramones came out a couple years later,Blondie and the Sex Pistols, Parliment with George Clinton-DAM! Lotsa cool stuff!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Frank81
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 11:59:58 AM »

I never got into The Final Cut, though I always intended to... after ROGER WATERS left, I had zero interest... I think before The Wall the other three did solo albums... I do remember NICK MASON's solo album had a bit of success (?) DAVE GILMOUR's was liked by the fans I'd guess, but the only one I had was RICHARD WRIGHT's Wet Dream... I liked his album, but nobody else had it.... 

I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan up to Division Bell, saw the Floyd live in the ’78 and ‘80 when they did Animals, The Wall and finally twice without Waters in 1994. They were just as good without him. I also saw Waters solo, in the late 90’s, and his band was awful, although, some of his showmanship made up for it. The Final Cut was rife with Waters personal and political views, most of which I disagree and find tedious at best and whining at worst. But, it does have some good musical pieces and reminds one of the disintegration that was Floyd when Waters strong armed Wright out of the band for The Wall. Floyd, to me, was always about the music, with the lyrics contributing to the mood.  Gilmour had two solo albums, the first was my favorite. I also liked Wrights solo albums, the second was harder to find, it was great Floyd got together one last time for Live 8.

When the band your in starts playing different tunes, I’ll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon. ;)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »

I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan up to Division Bell, saw the Floyd live in the ’78 and ‘80 when they did Animals, The Wall and finally twice without Waters in 1994. They were just as good without him. I also saw Waters solo, in the late 90’s, and his band was awful, although, some of his showmanship made up for it. The Final Cut was rife with Waters personal and political views, most of which I disagree and find tedious at best and whining at worst. But, it does have some good musical pieces and reminds one of the disintegration that was Floyd when Waters strong armed Wright out of the band for The Wall. Floyd, to me, was always about the music, with the lyrics contributing to the mood.  Gilmour had two solo albums, the first was my favorite. I also liked Wrights solo albums, the second was harder to find, it was great Floyd got together one last time for Live 8.
When the band your in starts playing different tunes, I’ll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon. ;)
I really didn't get to see any of my favorites, though I saw LOTS of bands starting around 1980 or so... I think JEFFERSON STARSHIP at South Mountain Reservation NJ was probably first, then STYX... Lookingup  But I was too late for LED ZEP or FLOYD, seeing most of my shows in the mid '80s...  I saw YES "in the round" at some point with all original and replacement members (!!!)... The Spectrum?  Question 

I've seen many great shows, but THE PRETENDERS were the only band I made a major effort to see that was a favorite (Caldwell College NJ) and I'm so glad I did...

Frank81
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »

I like PINK FLOYD up thru The Wall.  I even had Obscured by Clouds on vinyl (never listened to it though).
Seems odd, but I liked Floyd's The Division Bell, which most tell me is a poor choice.  But that was in '94 or so.  Mehhh....
I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan up to Division Bell, saw the Floyd live in the ’78 and ‘80 when they did Animals, The Wall and finally twice without Waters in 1994. They were just as good without him. I also saw Waters solo, in the late 90’s, and his band was awful, although, some of his showmanship made up for it. The Final Cut was rife with Waters personal and political views, most of which I disagree and find tedious at best and whining at worst. But, it does have some good musical pieces and reminds one of the disintegration that was Floyd when Waters strong armed Wright out of the band for The Wall. Floyd, to me, was always about the music, with the lyrics contributing to the mood.  Gilmour had two solo albums, the first was my favorite. I also liked Wrights solo albums, the second was harder to find, it was great Floyd got together one last time for Live 8.
I really didn't get to see any of my favorites, though I saw LOTS of bands starting around 1980 or so... I think JEFFERSON STARSHIP at South Mountain Reservation NJ was probably first, then STYX... Lookingup  But I was too late for LED ZEP or FLOYD, seeing most of my shows in the mid '80s...  I saw YES "in the round" at some point with all original and replacement members (!!!)... The Spectrum?  Question  

I've seen many great shows, but THE PRETENDERS were the only band I made a major effort to see that was a favorite (Caldwell College NJ) and I'm so glad I did...

Well, I saw almost  all the bands and artists I loved at the time,which, means I was both lucky and  old. Cheers  I saw YES in the 70's, '77 was a big year for me in concert and life in general at MSG in NYC, YES,  and later in the mid-80's, 70's  YES was  much better and certainly was more 'spiritual.' Madison Square Garden was where I saw some of the greatest concerts  ever, The Who, Sabbath, Floyd, Yes, Tull,etc.. some were even filmed like Zeppelins 'Song Remains The Same.' The summer of '77 sported the NYC blackout, Elvis dying and the Son Of Sam serial kiler. It is funny and strange how growing up in the 60's and 70's, by the 80's I was entering my late teens early 20's,  my music seemed to my mirror my socio-political views. I was seeing Zep, Floyd, Sabbath, Tull one year or two  between '76 and '78 and the next I was  into Sex Pistols, The Clash( saw them at BONDS and was in a "riot" down Broadway Twirling, Ramones and Blondie at CBGB's amongst many other 'Punk' bands that went on to become quite well known, like Talking Heads. I will say this, although, I didn't appreciate it at the time, I'm glad my parents took us in the mid-70's to see Sinatra, Dean Martin.  Talent and the greats are mostly gone now, or too old, but, later this year  I look foward to seeing Ian Anderson of  Jethro Tull do Thick As A Brick in it's entirety, with a Vol. 2 to be released on CD, the surviving members of the Beach Boys  and hopefully the final concerts of the original Black Sabbath, the latter put on great shows  in the late 90's and who I met after all those years  face to face. All in all, I can't complain, I got to see and even meet many of those I grew up enjoying, just wish I had seen Elvis and the Beatles, but, I guess one can't have everything in life. Wink
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:52:24 PM by Frank81 » Logged
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »

We were talking Pink Floyd earlier.

Roger Waters, I believe, is touring with his band this year with another 'The Wall:LIVE.'

I missed it last time he came to Philly, I believe in late '10 or early '11. A few friends went and gave positive reviews.

I think I'll go this time around. It's not exactly FLOYD...but it's my favorite Floyd album.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Bands: Which "Period" do you like best? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.