Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:32:53 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  "GCB"??? Really? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: "GCB"??? Really?  (Read 21874 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: March 07, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »

Apparently this is the latest ABC installment about lying, adulterous, backstabbing women and the men who love them, hyped up as the next "Desperate Housewives" (or, as I called that show after watching the pilot episode, "The Joys of Adultery.")  Just one small difference - instead of bored suburban Yuppies,  this group of catfighting females all belong to the same megachurch, and one of them is the Pastor's wife.

And the title?  It's initialized because the title of the book it's based on didn't make it past the network censors.

"Good Christian b***hes"

Now, I'm a grown guy, and I've long accepted that Hollywood does not share my Christian worldview and values, and I'm really OK with that.  I mean, B-movies would be pretty boring if they were all made Safe For Sunday School.

But .  . . really?

Would they make a prime time TV show and call it "Nice Jewish Sluts"?

Or, "Sweet Muslim Whores"?

Of course not.  Protests would come flooding in, they would lose sponsors, and, if they used my second example, someone would probably blow up the studio, or kidnap the producer and cut off his head.

And yet it is perfectly acceptable, chic, and funny to use Christianity as a punching bag AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.   The fact is that it's not creative, it's not funny, and it's frankly offensive to many Americans.

But hey, keep it coming.  After all, we're supposed to turn the other cheek.

Jerks. Hatred

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »

Muslims are frequently portrayed as automatic terrorists.
Irish people are frequently portrayed as having ties to the IRA.
Russians are routinely portrayed as violent, soulless criminals.
And how many times have Italians been assumed to have mob ties?

Get over it.

But yeah, it looks like a dumb show.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:57:12 PM »

I thought all Irishmen just hung out at bars? How are they tied to the IRA?

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:05:06 PM »

BA-ZING! See? I'm not offended. You just may want to avoid starting your car next time.

TongueOut

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »

I'm not organizing a boycott or anything.  I just get tired of it.

Let me take another tack on it -

When was the last time a movie or TV series out of Hollywood portrayed Christians in a positive light?
It happens, but rarely.  I'd say about 10-1 at best.

And for the record, Muslims are portrayed as terrorists frequently because Muslims frequently are terrorists.
Not all of them, by any means, but enough to make it more than just a stereotype.

Dunno about Russians or Irish, though.  All the ones I've met were first-rate folks!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »

BA-ZING! See? I'm not offended. You just may want to avoid starting your car next time.

TongueOut
Good thing I don't have a car and walk to work instead. TeddyR

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:14:01 AM »

Muslims are frequently portrayed as automatic terrorists.

I really think anyone working in Hollywood who suggested that Muslims be portrayed as terrorists would probably be ridden out of town on a rail.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:17:14 PM »

When was the last time a movie or TV series out of Hollywood portrayed Christians in a positive light?

In the last 10-20 years? Let's see.

Movies I've seen that portray Christian faith, values, people, or communities in a positive light:
Junebug (2005)
Cinderella Man (2005)
The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
Spider-Man (2002)
The Rookie (2002)
Signs (2002)
World Trade Center (2006)
Amazing Grace (2006)
Rudy (1993)
Lars and the Real Girl (2007)
The Passion of the Christ (2004)

I can go on. Negative portrayals of religion abound, this is true, but there are plenty of positive portrayals, Indy. Methinks you are taking the martyr angle here.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »

My wife mentioned something about "GCB" the other day, and I had no idea what it was. This was the first thing that came to mind:

I suppose it does refer to some kind of hoes.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:49:20 PM »

In the last 10-20 years? Let's see.

Movies I've seen that portray Christian faith, values, people, or communities in a positive light:
Junebug (2005)
Cinderella Man (2005)
The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
Spider-Man (2002)
The Rookie (2002)
Signs (2002)
World Trade Center (2006)
Amazing Grace (2006)
Rudy (1993)
Lars and the Real Girl (2007)
The Passion of the Christ (2004)

I can go on. Negative portrayals of religion abound, this is true, but there are plenty of positive portrayals, Indy. Methinks you are taking the martyr angle here.

Point taken, although SPIDERMAN is a bit of a stretch, I think!

Still don't like GCB, though.  The name in and of itself is offensive, and shows Hollywood's double standard.  They might show other faiths in a negative light, too - but I don't think they'd slap a title like this on any other religion.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 05:41:48 AM »

I would take the opposite viewpoint.

The reason that Christianity can be lampooned with such excess is because that this country is predominately Christian. Don't fool yourself that you're feeling attacked, the vast majority of people in this country still consider themselves Christian.

The reason you could not put a show on like this that features either Jewish or Muslim people is because they are still marginalized in American culture.

More bluntly, almost every movie is a celebration of "middle-American" Christian values. The only reason you don't notice is because it's the water we're swimming in.

So view it as a triumph of Christianity. You may not like it, but the fact that Christiantiy is one of the few religions that people think they can make fun of with impunity is an example of it's ubiquity, at least in this country.

And if you can't stand a little bit of ribbing, well, I only have so much respect I'm willing to give.

"f**k 'em if they can't take a joke."

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 07:34:09 AM »

I do see your point.  Not entirely sure I agree, though.  This nation today is probably less Christian than it has been in any point in its history - although I will concede it is still more Christian than most.
I still find the constant barbs from Hollywood tiresome, though.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »

I TOTALLY agree with Mofo here.

"Turning the other cheek" is what you should do. I'm not Christian, but I can see when a principle is solid regardless of its source. For example, before the existence of this thread, I had no knowledge of the show, and would have no interest in it anyway. But now, because of this thread, I am more likely to watch an episode. I will bet dollars to doughnuts that outrage is exactly what the producers of the show depend on. You just advertised their show for free.

And, as Mofo said, look at the bright side. Look at Mormonism. It is on the rise and is experiencing an almost "cool" perception, and you can thank the success of shows like Big Love, that largely portrayed many dark aspects of the faith. The fact that this show exists is ultimately good for Christianity. I would probably find the show more annoying than you and I'm not Christian.

And if you're looking for me to bemoan a decrease in religion in the world, you're barking up the wrong tree. It's all about perspective. I'm not religious, and I see the Christian right as constantly encroaching on my life. I am more exposed to Christian faith and morals now than I ever remember 30 years ago.

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »

I have to agree with Indy....the title itself turns me off and I am also bothered by what they are doing. However,I intend to simply not watch it since I have no control what they put on tv and what is or isn't popular.
Now,we avidly watch "Blue Bloods" which portrays a very close family with definite Christian values. Granted,they are Catholic and I am not,but I like how they interact with one another and the positive morals they espouse.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 03:46:37 PM »

I TOTALLY agree with Mofo here.

"Turning the other cheek" is what you should do. I'm not Christian, but I can see when a principle is solid regardless of its source. For example, before the existence of this thread, I had no knowledge of the show, and would have no interest in it anyway. But now, because of this thread, I am more likely to watch an episode. I will bet dollars to doughnuts that outrage is exactly what the producers of the show depend on. You just advertised their show for free.

And, as Mofo said, look at the bright side. Look at Mormonism. It is on the rise and is experiencing an almost "cool" perception, and you can thank the success of shows like Big Love, that largely portrayed many dark aspects of the faith. The fact that this show exists is ultimately good for Christianity. I would probably find the show more annoying than you and I'm not Christian.

And if you're looking for me to bemoan a decrease in religion in the world, you're barking up the wrong tree. It's all about perspective. I'm not religious, and I see the Christian right as constantly encroaching on my life. I am more exposed to Christian faith and morals now than I ever remember 30 years ago.

JOOC, in what way do we "encroach" upon your life? Because we wish to share with the rest of humanity a wonderful blessing?

We don't hold rusty butcher knives to people's throats, to bend them to our will....THAT'S encroachment.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  "GCB"??? Really? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.