Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:33:17 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Blue Max (1966) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Blue Max (1966)  (Read 5760 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 09, 2012, 06:57:15 AM »

Plot: During the second half of World War I, a new German pilot, Stachel, joins his new squadron. His humble background and his ruthless behaviour soon cause the rest of pilots to ostrasize him. Not that he cares, he has his eyes set in fame and glory, in the shape of a vapid countess who sleeps with a rival pilot and the highest decoration available to pilots, the Blue Max, awarded after 20 confirmed kills.

Comments: Ah, the age of the first war pilots. The camaderie, the thrill of the first kills, their almost knightly sense of honor... these are nowhere to be seen here. Seriously. While watching the film I kept imagining how it would have turned out if it had been made today. The film would probably have highlighted the aerial scenes and painted the main character in a different light. I am no enemy of eye candy (more like the opposite, actually), but I think portraying Stachel in a more positive light would have hurt the film very seriously.

The film is mostly set around 1918, and while some of the artistocratic pilots of the squad still retain a somewhat gentlemanly code, by this time the realities of modern warfare are already becoming too evident. Even as the film progresses, the aerial scenes themselves became dirtier and bloodier, going from one on one dogfights to bombing and strafe runs against defenseless infantry.

And this, of course, is the perfect backdrop to contrapose Stachel and his actions against the rest of the characters. It does help, that in perfectly late 60s fashion, the film is not afraid to show him as a ruthless son of a b***h. For instance, after he learns that his first kill hasn't been confirmed, he takes a young corporal with him in a futile search for the wreckage. And later, he shoots down a captured plane within sight of his base, an action that although justified -he sees the gunner moving towards his weapon- causes the rest of the squadron to ostrazise him from then on. I've never been a fan of George Peppard's acting, finding him way too bland to make a credible hero, but here the film depends a lot on him, and he never disappoints. He may look distant to the extreme of looking wooden, but you can tell right from the start that, unlike his partners, his desire to succeed is all too real, and not a mere affectation.

Notes: The Spanish DVD version of the film restores a scene were we see way more of Ursula Andress' bossom than we could expect on a 60s film. I guess the censors didn't find Stachel's behaviour as troubling as the sight of the lovely Andress in a towel.

The film director is John Guillermin, who also made the underlooked "The bridge at Remagen" WWII film and ended his career with such drivel as the two De Laurentiis "King Kong" films and "Sheena". From what I see from these two films he was a quite good director. A shame.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:03:32 AM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:30:54 AM »

This was a great movie, but the book was even better.  For one thing, they didn't kill Stachel off in the book!  The author went on to write a sequel, THE BLOOD ORDER, in which Stachel becomes involved in the rise of the Nazis.  Both are roaring good reads - and yes, the movie is excellent for its time.  This is my favorite period of history.  I'd give anything to have flown one of those old biplanes in combat.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Neville

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »

I for one wouldn't mind watching Stachel becoming a nazi, but Stachel demise in this film is just too damn perfect. It fits his character like a glove.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:17:23 AM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:54 PM »

Excellent film. I'm not a huge fan of war movies but this is a good one. Thumbup

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »

I like war movies-am a total anti-war freak-but love war movies. Go figure.
As for the BLUE MAX-I seen it as a kid on uhf channels alot-I dont care for the talking scenes..but the air battles with bi-planes is awesome. Plus-how many WWI movies are out there? Not many modern ones.
My favorite WWI movie-the BIG PARADE (1925).

I seen this movie on tv in the 70's on PBS channel 34 uhf-it still has a fasination for me.

I also like  ALL QUITE ON THE WESTERN FRONT (1930) and WINGS (1927).
I reckon I like the classics.

WINGS is my favorite air battle WWI movie.
The camera work is  amazing.
Small | Large

With Clara Bow,Gary Cooper yet! Super duper!

I have a weird fasination with silent films,anyhow. Being somewhat of an artist myself-I like the visual aspects of cinema more so than the narrative.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:20:50 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »

That one looks amazing, RC! 
As a kid, I was totally fascinated with the aces of the Great War.  I read every book I could get my hands on, and even tried my hand at writing one when I was in high school about a ficticious ace, Keith Roxton - most of it was awful, and the parts that weren't, were shamelessly plagiarized!

Have you seen the recent German film, THE RED BARON?  I found it much better than FLYBOYS.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:31:49 PM »

As a kid, I was totally fascinated with the aces of the Great War.  I read every book I could get my hands on, and even tried my hand at writing one when I was in high school about a ficticious ace, Keith Roxton - most of it was awful, and the parts that weren't, were shamelessly plagiarized!

Have you seen the recent German film, THE RED BARON?  I found it much better than FLYBOYS.
I haven't seen either. I will make a point to look them up,though.

As for WINGS-it was the first film to win the Acadamy Award for Best Picture-way back when-and to this day,it's easy to see why. The airborne scenes are  all done by real vet pilots and stunt flyers-it's all damn amazing.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Neville

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 04:19:32 AM »

"All quiet at the western front" is still my favourite war movie ever. Every single time I watch it I wish I could put my hands around that teacher's throat. I mean it.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »

I haven't seen either. I will make a point to look them up,though.

As for WINGS-it was the first film to win the Acadamy Award for Best Picture-way back when-and to this day,it's easy to see why. The airborne scenes are  all done by real vet pilots and stunt flyers-it's all damn amazing.

I've noted on more than one occasion that I need to see Wings. I also need to seeIf I were around back then, I can assure you I would have had a movie star crush on Clara Bow. I also have never seen Howard Hughes' Hell's Angels, another thing I have to do at some point.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 01:56:22 AM »

I like THE BLUE MAX... didn't we have a very old thread about this film...?   Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »

I missed it when it came to theaters, but I did catch it, when it was on TV, and I did enjoy watching it.

It also stars two of my favorite actors, and two of everyone's favorite English actors to portray Germans, James Mason and Jeremy Kemp.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Blue Max (1966) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.