Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:12:22 PM
714238 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  VON RICHTHOFEN AND BROWN (1971) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VON RICHTHOFEN AND BROWN (1971)  (Read 1760 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: March 10, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »

This was the last feature film made about World War One flying aces for almost 40 years.  I was unaware of its existence until last year, when I caught a few minutes of it on IFC one morning before work.  Then I spotted it as half of a double feature DVD in a bargain bin a few weeks back and finally got around to watching it last night.

The aristocratic Von Richthofen is an eager young aerial hunter who is invited to join Jasta No. 2, the elite German pursuit squadron commanded by Oswald Boelcke, the founder of Germany's fighter service.  He quickly becomes an ace, but then his aggressive pursuit of a British plane causes a collision that takes Boelcke's life.  Nonetheless, he is promoted to the Squadron's commander, and soon has the planes painted in a rainbow of bright colors that earns them the nickname of "The Flying Circus."

Meanwhile, Canadian flier Roy Brown, a cynical, bitter bad boy, is assigned to the British No. 24 squadron, commanded by the aristocratic Major Lanoe Hawker.  Brown refuses to buy into the "Knights of the Air" chivalrous fantasy that the other British fliers indulge in, and also refuses to drink to their "brave and chivalrous foe von Richthofen" at the officer's mess his first night.

War drags on, people are killed, and finally von Richthofen and Brown meet in one of the epic dogfights of the Great War, where the Red Baron is sent to that Great Hangar in the Sky.

This is a very fun film to watch.   As a WWI historian, there is a lot of nit-picking to do - both squadrons fly the wrong airplanes most of the time (however, I am more forgiving of this than I was with FLYBOYS, because in 1971 they were limited by what aircraft they actually had in flyable condition!  So every WWI movie featured Triplanes, Fokker D-7's, and S.E. 5a's for the British - because there were a large number of those available.  Since FLYBOYS was largely done with CGI and models, they could have used the correct airplanes and simply chose not to.).  I was surprised to see this one was directed by B movie king Roger Corman! It must have been one of his higher budget productions! 
  Overall, as a said, I liked this one pretty well.  Brown does come across as too much the 1970's antihero, and many of the historical details are way off.  But if, like me, the sight of the Cross and the Cockade dueling it out in the skies makes your heart beat faster, you definitely need to see this film!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »

This was Roger's last directorial effort, and a quite enjoyable movie.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  VON RICHTHOFEN AND BROWN (1971) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.