Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:53:34 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Superman cannot age as we do. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Superman cannot age as we do.  (Read 8499 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 10, 2012, 12:15:44 PM »

Yes, superman is impervious to a lot of things that nature can throw at him, save for kryptonite.  But one thing superman is impervious to is free radicals.  What are free radicals?  Free radicals are electrically charged oxygen atoms.  They get the electrical charge from the cells that use them for energy.  This electrical charge turns the oxygen atom into a bullet which shoots out of our body and damages cells along the way.  The body does try to repair this damage, but its not perfect.  This cellular damage is what we see as aging.
But superman's cells would be impervious to this.  If a free radical tried to shoot out of his body, it wouldn't be able to get out.  Because superman's body cells would be impervious to any damage caused by a free radical and would not allow the atom to pass.  So he would have trillions of free radicals ricocheting in his body until his natural antioxidants removed their electrical charge.
Thus, Superman is not only virtually impervious, he's also virtually immortal.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »

My life is now richer for having read your analysis.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »

That's why he's super,man.  Lookingup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:52:48 PM »

Yes, superman is impervious to a lot of things that nature can throw at him, save for kryptonite.  But one thing superman is impervious to is free radicals.  What are free radicals?  Free radicals are electrically charged oxygen atoms.  They get the electrical charge from the cells that use them for energy.  This electrical charge turns the oxygen atom into a bullet which shoots out of our body and damages cells along the way.  The body does try to repair this damage, but its not perfect.  This cellular damage is what we see as aging.
But superman's cells would be impervious to this.  If a free radical tried to shoot out of his body, it wouldn't be able to get out.  Because superman's body cells would be impervious to any damage caused by a free radical and would not allow the atom to pass.  So he would have trillions of free radicals ricocheting in his body until his natural antioxidants removed their electrical charge.
Thus, Superman is not only virtually impervious, he's also virtually immortal.
Good points,Wiz.... Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:06:17 PM »

Damn it, I can't believe I read a WyreWizard post.  I should be more careful what I click.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »

Seems like Lois Land and Jimmy Olsen haven't aged much over the past 70 years either.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:45:07 AM »

Seems like Lois Land and Jimmy Olsen haven't aged much over the past 70 years either.

Wait. You're not saying....Oh my. Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are also from Krypton?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Living_Dead_Girl
Bad Movie Lover

Excuse me. You need to go back to grad school.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »

His reputation for simply being awesome will not die. He was pretty much the dude that started the whole super hero culture. No kryptonite can defeat that,

Then I did not just look into the mirror, I looked through the mirror...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 07:27:08 AM »

Zan and Jayna TOGETHER however could destroy him.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 07:45:15 AM »

Zan and Jayna TOGETHER however could destroy him.

The wonder Twins beat Superman?  How exactly would they do that?  I mean does Jayna turn herself into some large kryptonian animal that could overwhelm Superman while being super-enhanced by Earth's sun.  And what does Zan do?  All he can do is turn into water or some ice sculpture.  Superman would break him easily.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 10:30:59 PM »

I guess at this point I should mention Superman is established as living waaaay longer than humans do.  In Kingdom Come, it's like 30-40 years later and the only real sign of age on him is grey in his hair. 
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 07:32:06 AM »

And here we are, pointing out Superman has a regenerating gene like Wolverine.

yeah no.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »

His reputation for simply being awesome will not die. He was pretty much the dude that started the whole super hero culture. No kryptonite can defeat that,

He's always been my favorite superhero...

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Nakuyabi
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »

Well, in Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross, he did age a bit. However, the character Magog (who's looking pretty gray and wrinkled himself at this point) mentions that back when he was a teenager, people were already calling Superman old-fashioned, and we're shown that Superman was only beginning to show some gray in his hair a decade ago when he took Magog to court. In what might be a century's time since his arrival, Superman is only looking middle-aged.

He did get some benefits out of the aging, though. For one thing, a seriously decrepit-looking Lex Luthor mentions that all those years sucking up yellow sunlight have rendered Superman impervious to kryptonite in addition to everything else. The only thing that even marginally affects him anymore is supernatural stuff, as shown in a scene where he manages to nick his finger on Wonder Woman's magical sword.

I would say he's not completely impervious on the cellular level, however: his invulnerability comes from an energy field that his cells generate collectively. Individually, contrary to Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex by Larry Niven, his cells don't have so much power to them. (This still leaves him with the problem of how to make babies without killing the mother; in Kingdom Come, the solution was for him to marry Wonder Woman.) Even leaving invulnerability to those free radicals aside, he might also have telomeres in his DNA, the depletion through cell division of which also leads to aging.

So no, Superman's not completely immortal, just very long-lived; I'd say he's got a good two centuries' lifespan in him at least.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 06:14:32 PM »

There are TWO Wonder Twins though. Superman is just one man. He's not SuperMEN.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Superman cannot age as we do. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.