Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:14:31 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DEEP RISING (1998) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DEEP RISING (1998)  (Read 1525 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: March 10, 2012, 09:56:56 PM »

Okay, so I'm probably the last badmovies dot org member to actually see this movie, but I finally did.

I've gotta say...I kinda liked it...in a fun "dumb horror movie" kind of way.  I've heard for years how bad it is, and I've come to understand that RT does not like it all all (as but one example), but hey...

I've seen worse.

Much worse.

Rob Bottin did the FX work, so, well, the FX were spot on, if a little copied from THE THING and recycled within the movie.  Still, though, if you sit back and watch this thing, Bottin's FX did create some suspense and some horror.  A few times, the creatures didn't 'attack' like they did other times, so that was distracting, but, still...it was interesting to watch and you wondered where they were and where they'd show up.

And, this movie has Treat Williams!  Isn't that cool?  I half expected him to get it and spend the rest of the movie as a wise cracking zombie.  Or, maybe he could have a falling out with Famke Janssen and stab her over eating his dessert (bonus points for getting that reference).

All in all, DEEP RISING was a fun time for me.  Coming on the heels a viewing of DOWNLOADING NANCY, maybe I just needed a mindless romp through bloodsoaked waters on a sinking ship.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:11:49 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:36:27 PM »

I liked this movie as well. Although I noticed the cast for having Kano from Mortal Kombat the first time I saw it.  

Actually, now that I think about it..the first time I "saw" this movie wasn't by sitting through it.  It was the subject of an old show on the Discovery Channel called Movie Magic where they would explain special effects in films and tv. So I knew what the monster looked liked before the final revel in the film.  I didn't care. Still and interesting show and a fun movie.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:59:17 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »

Probably the most important thing to say about this film is that the director-writer was Stephen Sommer. I have never been excited about Stephen Sommer, neither as a director nor a writer. Though, this is probably one of his better films. I will credit him with being able to set up the ending of one of his films for a possible sequel. And if one stays to the end of this film, it does look like it was set up for a sequel. Which--unofortunately--looks like it was never made. Which is much to my regret.
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:43:25 PM »

-sighs sadly- They don't make bad movies like they used to...

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »

I quite enjoy this one.  Treat Williams is fun, the comedic sidekick is actually funny, the creatures are gooey and the film has gore.  It's just an all-around good time.  Solid 8/10 from me.  Wasn't aware people hated this one?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DEEP RISING (1998) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.