Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:13:02 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Climate change « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Climate change  (Read 6586 times)
claws
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »

Those who follow the "How's the weather" thread might have notice me whining on several occasions about the mild winter we had in Germany.
How it used to be: Winter season started in late November, with lasting snow till early April. By Christmas we had several feet of snow, and sometimes we were actually snowed in. I grew up with this kind of weather and loved it. All this changed in the mid '90s. We got less snow each year, and sometimes it wouldn't snow at all. A couple of years ago it got so warm on Christmas people were walking around with sleeveless shirts. It was totally surreal.

Before the climate change we had roughly 18 weeks of lasting snow every year. This season we got barely two weeks with only 2 inches of snow. Which is still better than NO SNOW like we had several times in the past.

For a person like me who prefers the cold this is rather frustrating. Any of you feel the change?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »

I'm from Texas.  Our climate is in a constant state of flux.  Last year we used more snow days than we have in my entire 20 years of teaching; this year we didn't use one.  Last winter and spring we fell way short of our average seasonal rainfall; this year we are about six inches ahead.

When it comes to weather, I personally think that God is still in charge, and that man knows a lot less than he thinks he does.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Frank81
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »

Climate  change  was a factor  in earh's  creation and later periods  like the ice age.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »

I'm from Texas.  Our climate is in a constant state of flux.  Last year we used more snow days than we have in my entire 20 years of teaching; this year we didn't use one.  Last winter and spring we fell way short of our average seasonal rainfall; this year we are about six inches ahead.

When it comes to weather, I personally think that God is still in charge, and that man knows a lot less than he thinks he does.
Isn't that the truth! On Saturday we were rainy and in the upper 40s.....today it's sunny and the low 80s. Go figure! I remember the Meteorologist I learned so much from,Harold Taft....he always said that if you didn't like the weather in Texas just wait 5 minutes. TeddyR

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »

I live in the mountains of northeast PA ... snow country.  We moved here June 2001 and our first winter into 2002 was very mild with very little snow.  From 2003 through 2010 we pretty much got hammered with snow in the winter.  We've also had Halloween snowstorms, January ice storms, minus 29 degrees in February and 90 degrees in April.  We've had droughts in the summer and one summer a few years back we had terrible flooding in the lowlands.

This past winter we had a freak snowstorm in early October and the rest of the winter ... very little.  I believe that the changes in our weather is not really climate change, but cyles of weather that the Earth has been experiencing for thousands and thousands of years.   

Hold onto your dreams ....
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 05:07:58 PM »

Here in Michigan,we usually get pretty good snowstorns every year..except this year. Generall,this time of March were still buried in snow. It's dam in the mid-60's right now...and have tornado watchs going on right this second!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »

last year it snowed constantly, this year barely at all.  it was like 70 today. I prefer the colder weather.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »

The weather is definitely getting milder here and has been for the last decade. I'd say though we had more cold and snow this winter than last year. I too prefer the colder weather but at the same time, I'd say our last summer was the coldest we had in a long time too.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:18:21 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
joejoe
If it's bad, I'll watch it
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 05:37:03 AM »

Here in Michigan,we usually get pretty good snowstorns every year..except this year. Generall,this time of March were still buried in snow. It's dam in the mid-60's right now...and have tornado watchs going on right this second!

Same down here in SE Indiana

I had to break the push mower out of hibernation yesterday

when in doubt,  plan E.   EXPLOSIVES!!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 05:40:26 AM »

Supposed to be up in the 70's today....and in the 80's monday!!!!   Buggedout WTF?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Frank81
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 07:45:56 AM »

Supposed to be up in the 70's today....and in the 80's monday!!!!   Buggedout WTF?

One  thing I always  liked about the Northeast was the weather being approriate for the season. It certainly has changed.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »

Southern Alberta here. We didn't really get a winter; maybe a week's worth of snow? This is definitely worrying because now the area is headed into a serious drought, and we've already had a couple of grass fires because of how dry it is. All we can hope for now is that the region gets lots of rain early over a few weeks (too much too soon just causes flash floods here) and then gets steady but lighter rain throughout the spring and summer. But given that this place is semi-arid...that's not too likely.

Things seem to be shaping up to turn this place into just a plain ol' desert with the only naturally green areas being in the river valley.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 10:41:56 AM »

This year, we had very little snow in Massachusetts.  I didn't need to use my snow blower at all.  Last year, we had quite a bit of snow.  But that's New England for ya.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 04:00:32 PM »

Supposed to be up in the 70's today....and in the 80's monday!!!!   Buggedout WTF?

One  thing I always  liked about the Northeast was the weather being approriate for the season. It certainly has changed.

I have NEVER-evereverever! Seen a winter in Michigan like this one! And I've lived here for 41 of my 50 years!

It's 74 F degrees....about 30 F of what it normally is. I think we are at the begining of a new Ice Age.

And as far as global warming goes-DUH. Is it the fault of humans?-I think very little of it is.. Most,I think,is from-as Frank said earlier-thats just the way it is. Like a toilet-Nature flushes itself sometimes. Maybe the Earth tilts so much every millions of years our so...who knows? Folks worry. They should! How would you explain flash frozen Mammoths found in Siberia?

Me-I don't worry about it at all. I think it would be groovy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:03:03 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »

in November was the last of the constant snow in my neck of the woods.....and today, March 14, it was 70  Buggedout

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Climate change « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.