Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:16:16 AM
714200 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What's Your Heritage? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's Your Heritage?  (Read 5577 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: March 15, 2012, 04:22:36 AM »

I've found that it's a weird quirk among Americans to track their family's history, and identify themselves from where their family came from. Irish, Norwegian, etc... It's always struck me as a bit weird, because when I speak with Europeans or people from other countries, they don't seem to care as much.

At any rate, what is your heritage?

I'm Tlingit. If you don't know what that is, it is the people who live in Southeast Alaska, the panhandle if you are looking at a map. I identify myself as a Tlingit/Native Alaskan, although if you really want to get down to brass tacks, I am only 11/32 Tlingit, as my father is more Swedish than anything. But I have a blood quantum card that states I'm 11/32 Tlingit. I am proud of my Tlingit heritage, and it a big part of who I am.

So who are you? Where do you come from? What is your family history?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:08:39 AM »

My fathers grandparents came off the boat from Norway-he was a silversmith.

My Mother...well...I don't really know.
She was adopted from Nashville,North Carolina -her born name is Morgan. Her adopted parents were Helen (Georgia-USA,not Russia) and Pappy  Morris (Jewish).

So-I'm half Norwegian and half Hillbilly.  Smile Born the Bronx-raised in Lawton,Michigan.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »

Born in Rhodesia: 100% African and damn proud of it.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:10 AM »

I'm three-quarters Polish and a quarter German, with a tiny bit of Swiss in there someplace.  My great grandpa on my Mom's side I believe.  The town I was born in was pretty much populated by the Polish and Germans, so it's a real common mix around here.  I think it's kind of cool the way people of the same ethnicity used to immigrate over here and settle in the same towns back in those days.

Edit:  Great great grandpa on my mom's side was the Swede.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:34:21 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »

On my father's side, they're full Italian.

On my mother's side, it's trickier. My mother's father has some Irish and Polish. My grandmother apparently has some Native American and a tiny bit of Irish, Italian and Polish.

Me, I just say I'm American by way of Philadelphia.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:47:18 AM »

My fathers side is Polish and German. My mothers is German and WASP Mayflower people.
Frank81
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:03:39 AM »

I've found that it's a weird quirk among Americans to track their family's history, and identify themselves from where their family came from. Irish, Norwegian, etc... It's always struck me as a bit weird, because when I speak with Europeans or people from other countries, they don't seem to care as much.

At any rate, what is your heritage?

I'm Tlingit. If you don't know what that is, it is the people who live in Southeast Alaska, the panhandle if you are looking at a map. I identify myself as a Tlingit/Native Alaskan, although if you really want to get down to brass tacks, I am only 11/32 Tlingit, as my father is more Swedish than anything. But I have a blood quantum card that states I'm 11/32 Tlingit. I am proud of my Tlingit heritage, and it a big part of who I am.

So who are you? Where do you come from? What is your family history?

It's  not weird to Europeans or others  who stayed wherever they were were thousands  of years, cause they were too busy sluaghterring each other and causing the waves of immigration out.

I am an immigrant, I wasn't born in the USA, what I find amusing and sad is how many born here whine about things others are jumping over borders to enjoy? In any event, my heritage ranges from Italian, Greek, Georgian(Russia) and even some Egyptian. Faiths include, CHristians( Catholics, Eastern Orthodox), Jews and  Muslim. I'm a  mutt, a regular American. TeddyR
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:43:38 AM »

I'm a mutt: 1/4 German, and the rest a mixture of English, Welsh, and who knows what all else. My German ancestors came to the U.S. in the late 1800s, so we've been Americans for long enough to thoroughly taint the blood of ze master race.  Lookingup

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »

Scots Irish with a dash of Cherokee.  I'm a sixth generation Texan and a 10th generation Southerner.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »

On my Father's side we are Dutch and Caddo indian....on Mom's it's Irish,English and Commanche indian.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 12:53:30 PM »

I'm really not sure, having heard so many stories over the years.
African
Jamacian
Pacific Islander
Irish
Scottish
German
Cherokee

Actually, I'm -Alan D Hopewell, no more, no less.

Add six years and about eighty pounds, and you've got me.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »

I'm all over the place... Though most directly my mother is English (born there, raised there, my aunts uncles, cousins, and until recently grandmother live there), the American part of my family is German/Irish/Jewish/Whatever in an unknown combination.

Being of a more directly foreign descent, I have a hard time with the American need to be "Something" thats not American.  The voluntarily transported folks came here with the express desire to be FROM the old country to BE Americans.  And thein their great+  grandchildren want to identify with the country their ancestors wanted to be rid of.  Be proud to be American, cos that something to be proud of.
Now knowing WHO your ancestors were, that is cool.  
-Ed
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:41:21 PM by Ed, Ego and Superego » Logged

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »

From my father's side of the family
50% German

From my mother's side of the family
25% English
6.25% Welsh
6.25% Scottish
6.25% northern Irish
6.25% Cherokee Indian
Hammock Rider

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »

I'm 1/2 Drunk!

...ahem...

Polish and German.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 06:27:26 PM »

Ukrainian, German/Austrian (the town was right by the modern German-Austrian border, so there's no question in my mind that we have German blood), French, Irish, and Native Canadian. For the most part I just think of myself as "Canadian" since I was raised in an English/French-Canadian household with just a bit of Ukrainian influence from my grandma.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What's Your Heritage? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.