Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:37:52 PM
714247 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Flick James’ “St. Patrick’s Day” Good Movie Recommendations « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Flick James’ “St. Patrick’s Day” Good Movie Recommendations  (Read 3174 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: March 17, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »

Okay, we all know there will be plenty of Leprechaun viewings going on amongst bad movie lovers this St. Patricks Day, and more power to it. However, here is my list of “good” Irish films that are worth checking out. Irish film tends to be heavy on the drama, but I’ve managed to stick a couple of comedies in there as well. Feel  free to contribute your own.

The Wind That Shakes the Barley (2006) – This is an outstanding film made in Ireland. It is not a biographical history, as the characters are fictional, but it is arguably the finest representation of what the Irish War of Independence and the Irish Civil War that followed it did to the people of Ireland. If anybody who is not Irish is interested in understanding the roots of why Ireland has been so torn in two for nearly a century, this film does exceedingly well.

The Commitments (1991) – This film is a guilty pleasure of mine. I don’t care what anybody says, this film is amazing. It follows the rapid local rise and fall of a bunch of working-class Dubliners who start a band playing soul covers from the 60’s. This film is kind of like an Irish version of That Thing You Do, but grittier and a lot less grandiose. Alan Parker, who seems to be quite gifted at films with a musical focus, does well with this one. While the preceeding film can be a bit depressing, this one is a lot of fun.

The Field (1990) – Stories from Ireland can be quite dark at times, and this one is no exception. Richard Harris turns in a fantastic performance as Irish tenant farmer “Bull” McCabe, whose love for the land he tends leads him to desperate, and violent, measures to hold onto it.

An Everlasting Piece (2000) – If you think it’s impossible to make a funny comedy set in Belfast during the troubles of the 80’s, think again. This little comedy is not perfect, but has some definite charm. Two barbers, one Protestant and one Catholic, who initially detest one another due to the animosity of the time, set aside their differences in a scheme to get rick selling hairpieces. Yeah, you read it right. It’s pretty funny at times. One of my favorite bits is the potential customer who misinterprets the heavily accented “hairpiece” as “herpes.” “Why would I want herpes?”

In the Name of the Father (1993) – Daniel Day-Lewis stars in this biographical film about Gerry Conlon, one of the Guilford Four, four disadvantaged Irish youths from Belfast wrongly convicted of a series of IRA pub bombings in 1975. There are a few historical inaccuracies present in this film, but most of them have to do with the details of imprisonment, while the details of the wrongful conviction of the four and their clearing after 14 years of imprisonment are quite accurate, from the intimidation techniques used to coerce confessions, to the withholding of evidence to the defense that provided alibis, to the stroke of luck that allowed the wihholding to be exposed, to the dramatic final trial. I saw this film upon its initial release, where it worked particularly well on the big screen due to fanstastic close-up work. The direction is very intimate, and the entire cast delivers.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:26:30 PM »

I had seen "The Commitments" years ago and remember really enjoying it.

My favorite movie for St. Patrick's Day is "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.  Got the dvd and going to watch it with hubby later.   TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:56:52 PM »

Leprechaun in Space
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »

THE DEAD worth clicking on to youtube to watch: 
Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Frank81
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »

Synopis  below from 'wiki', I recall these two films as fun 'Irish' films I have seen over the years.

The Quiet Man- The Quiet Man is a 1952 American Technicolor romantic comedy-drama film. It was directed by John Ford and starring John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Victor McLaglen and Barry Fitzgerald. It was based on a 1933 Saturday Evening Post short story by Maurice Walsh. The film is notable for its lush photography of the Irish countryside and the long, climactic, semi-comic fist fight between Wayne and McLaglen.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People- is a 1959 Walt Disney Productions feature film starring Albert Sharpe, Janet Munro, Sean Connery and Jimmy O'Dea, in a tale about a wily Irishman and his battle of wits with leprechauns. The film was directed by Robert Stevenson and its screenplay written by Lawrence Edward Watkin after the books of Herminie Templeton Kavanagh. The film's title is a slight modification of one of the two Kavanagh books, Darby O'Gill and the Good People. This title, and her other book; The Ashes of Old Wishes And Other Darby O'Gill Tales were the original source for this movie.
claws
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 11:26:04 PM »

I noticed St. Patrick's Day appears to be a big deal in the states. All my Facebook friends from the U.S. seem to enjoy it more than Halloween or any other "Holiday".
I'm surprised it didn't catch on here in Germany much yet. Give Germans any reason to party and to get drunk and they are happy. That said, here are my late recommendations:

Dead Meat (2004) - A couple on vacation in Ireland are exposed to zombified country folk, with the infection caused by mad cow disease. This is a comedy alright but a good one, oozing with creepy 1970s atmosphere and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie references.

Isolation (2005) - Irish farmers are exposed to gen manipulated experiments. Quarantine/Infection horror caused by cows again. Thrilling and original.

Dorothy Mills (2008) - A psychiatrist is assigned to work on the case of a disturbed young girl somewhere in Ireland. Psychological horror with great performances and a few plot surprises.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention Dementia 13Thumbup

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Nakuyabi
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 05:41:20 PM »

How about one of my favorites, Waking Ned Devine (1998)?

Small | Large

I'm afraid that trailer gives away most of the plot, but it's a hilarious movie anyway no matter how many times I watch it, and the Irish music on the soundtrack is top notch.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »

No THE DEVIL'S OWN?   BounceGiggle

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:51:16 AM »

No THE DEVIL'S OWN?   BounceGiggle

TeddyR TeddyR

I was also going to mention Patriot Games, Blown Away, A Prayer For The Dying and Angel but then I thought I wouldn't feel safe starting my car again.  Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Flick James’ “St. Patrick’s Day” Good Movie Recommendations « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.