Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:26:24 AM
714231 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  SUSPICIOUS RIVER (2000) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SUSPICIOUS RIVER (2000)  (Read 1966 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: March 18, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »

We've kind of hit an art-film-fest of sorts in the last week or so, with offerings from Netflix such as DOWNLOADING NANCY, CAMILLE and now SUSPICIOUS RIVER.

Of these three...the latter is by far my favorite.  All have been interesting in their own way.  CAMILLE, for example, was not your typical RomCom...and really gets under the skin a bit and makes the romantic ending "mean something."  Though totally predictable (to my wife, anyway, a VERY astute plot-predicter), CAMILLE nevertheless satisfied where Hollywood generally fails miserably.

But tonight's SUSPICIOUS RIVER takes the prize for our recent viewings and just all-out "What the HELL" and expectation-cutting subtlety. 

First of all, let me plug the sound track.  This movie has some great music.  The final song, playing over the ending credits, I pegged as Cowboy Junkies (one of my favorite bands) and that's just the tip of the iceberg.  The music...outstanding as stand alone songs...fit.  It fit the movie for what was going on at that time, as movie music should.

Next.  Well, for a movie with the basic premise of prostitution, I've got to say it had very little in the way of gratuitous nudity.  This movie accomplished with art and visual subtlety what lesser directors do with the 'cheap titillation.'  Rape scenes were character development, for crying out loud!  This was solid film making.

My wife (again, the plot-diviner) announced her interpretation of the final "twist" before the reveal.  What everyone credits M. Night Shyster with accomplishing with THE SIXTH SENSE (admittedly not a bad movie...the only one of his I can stomach) was given here in ways that would make Night pee his pants to think of it.

SUSPICIOUS RIVER has us asking, the whole movie, "just what the hell is going on here?"  Even the ending...it's over.  You don't get some Hollyweird simple payoff.   This movie makes you wonder...WTF?

But it's beautiful in it's spareness.  What it doesn't tell you, how it makes you wanting more, comprises its art.

I give SUSPICIOUS RIVER 4.5 of 5, unusually high for me on any movie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  SUSPICIOUS RIVER (2000) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.