Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:11:53 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  IMAGINE ME AND YOU (2005) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IMAGINE ME AND YOU (2005)  (Read 1270 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: March 25, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »

Even though I would only rate this film at 3/5, I put it here in "Good Movies" because within its genre, it's VERY good.  IMAGINE ME AND YOU is a romantic comedy with a twist or two.

Like the American RomCom formula, this film follows the pattern: folks meet (good "meet cute" here), fall quickly, near climax split and ultimately have the happy ending.  There are a few points that make this one stand out, however.

*** SPOILERS  ***  (skip to below "END SPOILERS" if you don't want to read detailed plot points).

The plot begins with Rachel and Hector's wedding, and we are also introduced to the other lead, Luce, the florist for the wedding.  Luce and Rachel meet and sort of develop a friendship.   Some time later, a few days maybe, Rachel invites Luce to her home for dinner to thank her for doing a good job and to match-make with Heck's semi-obnoxious friend (who hit on Luce relentlessly at the wedding).

At that dinner party, it is revealed to Heck that Luce is a lesbian.  Rachel and Luce get into a little "tiff" at dinner over the concept of "Love at First Sight," with Luce defending the concept.  At this point, the audience knows Luce is "in love" with Rachel, but she's kind of the silent, suffering type.

Over the second act, Rachel's feelings become more clear to her and she must face the problem she's in.  Here we have the non-typical triangle:  happily married women falling for another woman.

Eventually Rachel confesses to Heck what's going on; in third act, the girl gets the girl and Heck gets to pursue a life, foreshadowed at the dinner party to Luce, he felt he missed because of falling in love with Rachel.

*****  END SPOILERS *****

There were several things about this movie that made it stand out for me above the usual Romantic Comedy formula.

(1) By the end of the wedding scene, we really don't KNOW we've just witnessed the 'meet cute' for the movie.  It's only because we know the basic plot direction of this involving a budding romance between two women that it takes on that significance.  In the absence of that "viewer" knowledge, we merely see two women meeting and talking, with one maybe more "interested" than the other.

This sequence was, therefore, in my opinion, well directed.

(2) All of the main characters were likable, and most of the supporting group was as well. Heck's friend Coop tried to act the macho misogynist just about every romantic comedy has, but it turns out he's a pretty decent guy.  The misogynist was present in another very minor character.

(3) Rachel was happy in her marriage and very confused about her growing feelings for Luce....she felt REAL conflict over the situation as it developed.  Luce loved Rachel but did not want to break up her marriage.  How many Romantic Comedies do we see where the two romance leads DENY acting on their feelings for almost the entire movie because it's the right thing to do?

(4) All the three of the leads commit to such big sacrifice.  When Heck finds out about Rachel's situation, he basically states that he loves her and wants her, but he wants her to be happy.  He's not bitter toward her even though he is very hurt.

Even Coop, we see in the resolution of a minor subplot, has grown as a character by the end.

(5) The movie ends on a happy note for everyone involved.  I hate Hollywood Romantic Comedies where one character gets crapped upon so we can resolve to our happy ending.  Here, though predictable, the film makers had a way out to ensure that Heck ultimately was able to move on and recover from his loss.  Even giving us a glimpse into his resolution is a large step beyond how most Hollywood Romantic Comedies would treat the "rejected man," especially in a movie with a lesbian relationship at its core.

(6) The child character (Rachel's sister, I think) is interesting, at least interesting enough.  Most such characters are ear bleeding annoying.  This one isn't.

This movie was not "outstanding," but it was "good."  The characters were well developed and believable, the dialog natural, the conflict within the characters was believable and the ending felt right for this particular set of people (even Coop).

It's not a "laugh out loud" comedy but rather a comedy in the Shakespearean sense...happy endings all around.  That said, there are some funny moments that bring a smile or a chuckle. Mostly, this movie is "sweet."

Okay, let's go with 3.5/5 overall, 5/5 within the Romantic Comedy genre.  At least that's my take. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  IMAGINE ME AND YOU (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.