Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:29:23 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Good movies about/involving pro wrestling « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Good movies about/involving pro wrestling  (Read 4986 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: April 01, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »

Yeah I know they do seem a rarity but actually there are a number of underrated little films about pro wrestling that are in actuality fairly well-done.

The most obvious one is of course The Wrestler starring Mickey Rourke. That's a given and arguably the best of the bunch bar none.

Small | Large

But here's a few others you might have missed that are surprisingly effective. The following two focus on women's wrestling. And yes they are what I'd consider good movies.

Small | Large

All the Marbles...(1981)

Small | Large

Below the Belt (1980)

This kayfabe film about pro wrestling from the 1970s starring Verne Gagne and Ed Asner I personally consider half decent. There's also brief scenes of classic wrestling characters including Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Dick the Bruiser, The Crusher, Billy Robinson amongst others. This one should be in the collection of any 70s AWA wrestling fan.

Small | Large

The Wrestler (1974)

This movie was meant to be an over the top comedy/parody that's actually ended up being not too far from the mark with regards to modern era pro wrestling of the last 20 years or so...so yeah perhaps this one is a stretch as it's production values are really bad and it's a bit cheesy but it's definitely in the so bad it's good arena...

Small | Large

Grunt! The Wrestling Movie (1985)

Actually there's a few others that come to mind as well. Anyone have any additions to this list?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 04:37:40 PM »

All The Marbles has been sitting on my "to be watched" shelf for 8 months now.  Gotta get around to it one of these days   Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »

Beyond the Mat - not really a movie, more a documentry but it's great

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:54:44 AM »

??????

Sadly, I paid to see this in the theater . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »

The Princess Bride - Starring Andre the Giant as a super-strong wrestler mook with a heart of gold.

Small | Large

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »

I actually kind of liked The One and Only...doesn't fully succeed but not half-bad try.

Some more I consider good.

Man on the Moon (1999): the biopic of Andy Kaufman focuses a lot on his involvement with pro wrestling in the early 80s and his now legendary feud with Jerry "The King" Lawler. If Kaufman had the physical gifts to go with the gift of natural heel charisma, he might well have been the greatest wrestling heel of all time. The film doesn't fully succeed either but again it's a pretty solid attempt.

Small | Large

Nacho Libre (2006): sure it's largely a silly Jack Black comedy but believe it or not, it's actually loosely based on a true story. There's some scenes in this that are actually kind of moving albeit often in an odd way. Again it's one that doesn't fully work but I still consider it to be a good and fun movie.Pro wrestling itself is certainly filled with unusual real-life characters.

Small | Large

Night and the City (1950): a film noir focusing on the continued failed exploits of a hustler Harry Fabian (Richard Widmark) who sets his sights and gaining control over the pro wrestling industry out of the hands of a mob boss. Pro wrestlers Stanislaus Zbyszko, a former World Champion, and Mike Mazurki appear.

Small | Large

Hey, even Ed Wood has some brief pro wrestling scenes as Ed discovers Tor Johnson (here protrayed by George "The Animal" Steele).

Small | Large

skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »

Barton Fink

Babies taste best.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »

Not exactly good, but there's Doctor of Doom / Wrestling Women vs. the Aztec Mummy

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Hammock Rider

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 11:56:09 AM »

Ready to Rumble with David Arquette. Also, I didn't care very much for The Wrestler. mickey Rourke's nasty fingernails alone grossed me out. When he was selling food in the deli and handing it to people with those nasty paws of his, I wanted to barf.

Small | Large

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »

Ready to Rumble with David Arquette. Also, I didn't care very much for The Wrestler. mickey Rourke's nasty fingernails alone grossed me out. When he was selling food in the deli and handing it to people with those nasty paws of his, I wanted to barf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmPtyZDvoUI&feature=related

I hate Ready to Rumble  Hatred

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 04:21:42 PM »

Ready to Rumble is great...as a stupid comedy meant to entertain.

Makes me laugh.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
66Crush
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »

I watched "Beyond The Mat" (1999) again last night. It's hands down one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. It was cool to see a young Rock and Mankind square off in the piece on Mick Foley's family. Plus the segment on Jake "The Snake" Roberts was heartbreaking. "Bret Hart: Wrestling with Shadows" is also very good. Both films show Vince McMahon in a less than flattering light. There is one film about World Class Championship Wrestling that I'd really like to see. I have the official WWE DVD about World Class, but this film is supposed to be better.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 05:20:10 PM »

Highlander pretty early into the film features a wrestling match between the Freebirds and Von Erichs if I'm not mistaken and despite the rather huge reaction the wrestlers get characters in the film promptly go on to insult pro wrestling as a form of entertainment shortly thereafter.

A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »

The Wrestler and Beyond The Mat are at the top of my list.

Racket Girls was good for completely different and hilarious reasons.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
66Crush
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 11:45:20 PM »

Yeah "Racket Girls," Ive got the MST3K DVD of that. Love it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Good movies about/involving pro wrestling « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.