Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:10:07 AM
714209 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I HATE THIS CRAP! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: I HATE THIS CRAP!  (Read 7771 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 07:31:45 AM »

the reason I'm so nice, friendly and helpful to everyone around me is because I'm kept constantly doped up on anti-psychotics after trying to murder a woman. 

I think they confused you with me.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »

Stupid people will be stupid.
If she's too self absorbed to notice that not everything is about her, that's her problem.

Exactly.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

Sounds like she wanted to make something outta nothing....ego boost or something. Plus she may have some deep guilt about some activity on her part. I think reporting it yourself wouldn't hurt,just to protect yourself and your wife. Just to make sure your side is heard. Petty office gossip tends to get blown out of proportion.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »

Just another example of how society continues to blow things out of proportion.  This whole "political correctness" thing is way out of hand.  Years ago, you could compliment someone on their clothing or hairstyle or whatever and they accepted it as a compliment.  Now, it's grounds for a lawsuit.  I mean, it sounds like you didn't say anything about how she looked or give her any type of compliment that might be interpreted as being an inappropriate sexual advance.  Yet she becomes "uncomfortable" anyway.  Bulls**t.  Just stay away from her.  And for Pete's sake don't wish her a Merry Christmas or you'll be thrown under the bus for that, too.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »

you could report her to HR

That's actually what I was thinking.  Well, not "report her" exactly, but report the incident.

File a memorandum that you heard a RUMOR that someone was feeling uncomfortable (because you actually don't really know she said this...it's hearsay), don't use her name if you don't want (act like you are protecting the rumor-ee), but get it on the record that you heard this office tripe and don't know of any factual basis for why someone would feel uncomfortable around you.

These kinds of things almost always come down to "documentation."  If you give HR dates and specifics, you will have more "in your corner" than some nebulous claims that cannot be substantiated anyway.  What does it take to make someone uncomfortable?  You sneezed too loudly that one time?  Good grief.

Or, ignore it.  There's a very good chance there's nothing to it.  As I said, you don't even really know she said anything, and the person that told you she did could just be trying to stir things up.

I hate office politics...

It's a crazy world. CYA.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 03:11:45 PM »

And so it seems it is time to once again post this helpful video:

Small | Large

It seems that it is so helpful, however, that embedding has been disabled, so you must go to You Tube to watch it. Drats.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »

So, there’s this young lady at my place of work. She’s kind of cute, and I won’t lie, I’ve glanced at her a few times in passing. But it is certainly far from anything overt. There are lots of attractive women at my place of work and I have glanced at every one of them. I am happily married and have always been a one-woman man, but hey, I’m a man and we do glance at attractive women once in a while.

Anyway, a few days ago I was standing by her cubicle talking business with somebody else, she walked into her cubicle, and I had noticed she was wearing a Kasas State Jayhawkers t-shirt (it was casual Friday). I’m from Kansas, so I asked her “are you from Kansas?” I was just making small talk because I’m from Kansas and recognized the mascot. She made a quick remark that her husband is from Kansas and so of course she’s a fan of the Jayhawkers by association, but she had that weird uncomfortable vibe like she was trying to make sure I understood that she was married and leave her alone.

All else aside, the Kansas State mascot is the Wildcat. Kansas University sports the Jayhawks. And as a K-State alumnus, I find your post offensive and have reported you to human resources.  TeddyR

Thanks everyone, but if I'm taking any lessons from this thread, my mis-identification of the correct school for the Jayhawks is by far the most important. Thanks Derf.

(actually, I meant to say University of Kansas)  Wink

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »

Just another example of how society continues to blow things out of proportion.  This whole "political correctness" thing is way out of hand.  Years ago, you could compliment someone on their clothing or hairstyle or whatever and they accepted it as a compliment.  Now, it's grounds for a lawsuit.  I mean, it sounds like you didn't say anything about how she looked or give her any type of compliment that might be interpreted as being an inappropriate sexual advance.  Yet she becomes "uncomfortable" anyway.  Bulls**t.  Just stay away from her.  And for Pete's sake don't wish her a Merry Christmas or you'll be thrown under the bus for that, too.

Staying away from her might not work either. I've had more than one person over the years confront me about doing exactly that, because I was perceived as giving them the cold shoulder, and they demanded to know why I hated them. The most extreme example was so convinced that I hated her, she got obnoxious about it and ended up making it true. There, right all along. People are nuts.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:52:29 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »

Flick, I don't think you've gotten much good advice... except maybe leave it alone.  Put it on the record?  Sounds great if the world were analytical AND honest, otherwise, just naive.  I see Ulthar's point (I've played plenty of office politics) but think it's hasty.

You've had enough commiseration.  Of course she said something to someone and it was repeated all over the office because you heard it too.  It is politics if you are innocent, and I read your original post closely.  You're in it now; you should be concerned.  This could bite you in the ass.  Hey, it'd be great if someday she came over because she thought you were giving her the cold shoulder.  That'd be an opportunity to let her know your perspective.  Even then, you would have to walk on eggs and NEVER suggest she was attractive.

How did she look in her husband's t-shirt?  How did that t-shirt fit her?  Do you think she knew?  How old are you?  How old is she?  Consider such questions food for thought.  Too much vilification has been suggested already.  It's easy to draw conclusions, make hasty judgments, or fail to see another's perspective... or the error of one's own ways. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 09:55:40 PM »

Flick, I don't think you've gotten much good advice... except maybe leave it alone.
And stop licking those photos, you pervert! 
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 11:54:40 PM »

People misunderstand and misinterpret things all the time. Everyone does it from time to time simply because we're not telepaths (thankfully). Unfortunately, I have zero experience with office politics, and studio politics seem to work very differently.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 08:19:07 AM »

The best defense is a good offense.  Tell the office gossip that this woman has taken you aside and told you of her secret love for you.  Would make perfect sense in light of her otherwise nonsensical emotions concerning you.  The pieces of the puzzle would all fall into place...

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 09:24:57 AM »

AHD makes a lot of sense. Because the world is NOT honest and analytical is exactly why there is concern. I AM honest and analytical, and don’t usually give much heed to irrational reactions to things, but at the same time, people don’t usually get the uncomfortable hairs standing up on the back of their neck unless there is a reason. My “spidey sense,” if you will, got tripped and I got that feeling that not all was right. From the initial weird vibe at the time it happened combined with the fact that somebody I know took the time to stop and tell me about it tells me that I should worry, if only a little. And how does it make ME look if I make a complaint about it? If somebody makes an HR complaint about another, even if their identity is protected by law or corporate policy, that person still has a right to know that a complaint was made by someone, and there is no way I would risk creating that kind of mess if it’s not necessary. The person that told me is a close coworker who just felt I should know and has never demonstrated himself to be the kind of person that likes to spread rumors, so I can’t assume the incident made much of a splash. Regardless, the best policy is to let the ripples from the splash fade away on their own.

Ultimately, I do not think this will amount to much if anything, and I certainly hope that’s the case. It’s just the kind of thing that bothers me immensely. It’s like having somebody of another race accuse you of racism when you know damn well that it wasn’t the case, and should that person choose to make a big splash out of it, there is virtually nothing you can do to avoid getting wet. And that, my dear bad movie friends, is the source of my angst.

I do appreciate everybody’s input and commiseration immensely, but extra special respect to AHD for hitting the nail on the proverbial head.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:27:35 AM by Flick James » Logged

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »

If somebody makes an HR complaint about another, even if their identity is protected by law or corporate policy, that person still has a right to know that a complaint was made by someone, and there is no way I would risk creating that kind of mess if it’s not necessary.

Well, just for the record, I did say not to make a complaint about HER, but about THE RUMOR.  I was just saying that it probably would not hurt a thing (you or her) to let HR know that this rumor got back to you and you believe it to be baseless.  Don't ask for an investigation, just get "your side" on the record beforehand.

People might not be logical and rational, but juries (if it comes to that, for example) can only weigh the evidence introduced to them.  If you feel compelled to do anything at all (and worrying about it even a little is "doing" something), that you initiated HR's interest is a documented fact and why would a guy harassing a coworker bring any attention to it?

As a related alternative "proactive" measure, again assuming you want to do anything at all, confront her with it face-to-face in the company of your supervisor and at least several additional witnesses.  Give her the opportunity to say it was a misunderstanding or whatever.  Simply say, in front of all and sundry, "I heard this rumor and wanted to find out if it is true."

You cannot accuse her of anything or "attack" her at all.  That cannot be seen as your point of "acting."  You have to be seen as clearing up a problem before it gets out of hand.  This approach can be interpreted by any outside observer as protecting her as well as you.  Straight-on, nip it in the bud is USUALLY the best approach if you think there is anything to it.

All that said, only you can judge if you think it merits any action.  Since you don't sound like you think there is any such merit, it's only an academic discussion at this point.

Good Luck.  Hope there was not even a molehill here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »

Holy crap, ulthar, you're already putting me in a courtroom? Buggedout

But seriously, don't take it as an attack on your logic or advice. I just happen to lean toward AHD's point of view in that calling HR could certainly serve to make an issue where there doesn't need to be one and potentially make matters worse. A valid observation I thought.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I HATE THIS CRAP! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.