Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:15:43 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Pirates: Band of Misfits (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Pirates: Band of Misfits (2012)  (Read 3099 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 12, 2012, 04:54:56 AM »

Just when I decided, with the help of you fine folk, to try to see John Carter, it had been pulled from the cinema.  So I went to my next option, which was the Aardman animation The Pirates.  Boy, what a great movie!

The animation is superb, and it boggles my mind that it is all done with stop-motion claymation.  Wallace and Gromit were one thing, but with Pirates they have really gone to a completely different level.

The humour is very fast and sometimes almost hard to catch - there are many instances that will have to be enjoyed using the pause button with the DVD simply because they go by too quickly, like a fifteen-item list of 'Captain's Rules' pinned to the wall in one scene, or a myriad of street signs like the Man-Kee Chinese Laundry, or the tavern that has Cockney Baiting every week.

I was a bit disappointed that they edited the controversial leper joke.  In the trailer, the Pirate Captain swings into a ship and demands gold, whereupon some poor soul says, 'Gold?  We've got no gold, young man.  This is a leper ship!'  And as he waves, his arm drops off.  In the movie, he instead says, 'This is a plague ship'.  Good lord, some leprosy organization in India was angry that it 'contributed to misconceptions about leprosy'.  Who in their right mind would think that it makes people's limbs just fall off???

I practically wet myself in this movie.  The pirates all have great names like, 'Pirate with Gout' (a fat pirate), 'Albino Pirate' (nuff said), and the 'Surprisingly Curvaceous Pirate', who is obviously a woman in a big fake beard, but everyone thinks she's a he.  When she gets excited, she speaks in a woman's voice, then suddenly corrects herself and repeats herself in a deep, masculine woman's voice.  It's so cool.  There's big chase scenes, action scenes, a brief musical number, and scores of crazy jokes that come thick and fast.

I knew very little about the movie apart from it being an Aardman animation, so when certain historical characters turned up, I was very surprised and pleased.  I won't spoil it for anyone else, so you can enjoy it just as much.  But things take really strange turns, so just go see the movie.  If you like Aardman animation and the Aardman style of humour you will love The Pirates.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:58:08 AM »

If you like Aardman animation and the Aardman style of humour you will love The Pirates.

I love Wallace and Gromit.  Gromit is beyond cool.

We'll have to check this one out.  My wife and children went to some movie a few weeks ago and saw the trailer...they came home very excited to see it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »

I've been keeping my eye on this film for a bit now knowing the guys behind Chicken Run did it.  I'm not sure if I will see it in theaters considering my budget and that the summer will drain most of my money for movies, but I will try to see it at some point.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Pirates: Band of Misfits (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.