Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:17:56 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  U.S. sees warmest March in recorded history « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: U.S. sees warmest March in recorded history  (Read 15115 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 11:16:23 PM »

My point is that "record heat wave" is meaningless.  It makes good copy, but it has absolutely ZERO scientific merit.

Really.  Look up Andrew Wordes and tell me which is more important to be on our public consciousness....some hot weather or that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »

My point is that "record heat wave" is meaningless.  It makes good copy, but it has absolutely ZERO scientific merit.

Really.  Look up Andrew Wordes and tell me which is more important to be on our public consciousness....some hot weather or that.

I looked it up. It is a far more meaningful human story. What made you assume I wouldn't think so?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »

the guy who won the boston Marathon last year dropped out at mile 18 due to cramping. it was like 85 or something today
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 04:43:33 AM »

Zero scientific merit? It's the very essence of scientific observation. Forget all the surrounding politics, temperature recordings are nothing but science. How it's interpreted, that's a bunch of craziness, but ZERO scientific merit? That just isn't the case.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
ulthar

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 07:53:05 AM »

Zero scientific merit? It's the very essence of scientific observation. Forget all the surrounding politics, temperature recordings are nothing but science. How it's interpreted, that's a bunch of craziness, but ZERO scientific merit? That just isn't the case.

I think you completely missed my point.  The reporting of it as "record breaking" has zero scientific merit.

One of the goals of scientific measurement and observation is dispassion and objectivity about the data.

Calling it a "record" is disingenuous.  The time frame is arbitrary (record for "March"), and the way "hottest" is defined is arbitrary.  What is and is not reported as a record is arbitrary.

Every single day weather related records are broken.  That's the nature of a sparse dataset.

Analogy:

Suppose on my 40th birthday I claim that for my New Year's resolution I will not get into fist fights.  What is the meaning of a "news" story on January 2nd that "January 1st was ulthar's least violent day in recorded history"?

It has no value scientifically because the dataset is so incomplete.  January 1-6 will be ulthar's least violent week, January will be the least violent month, etc.  With no data prior to the arbitrary time frame of "the record," these superlatives have no basis and no importance whatsoever.

Thus, reporting them as "news" is misleading at best.  This kind of news reporting survives on the ignorance and gullibility of the readership.  This is junk reporting masquerading as "science."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 09:03:34 AM »

I think you completely missed my point.  The reporting of it as "record breaking" has zero scientific merit.

One of the goals of scientific measurement and observation is dispassion and objectivity about the data.

Calling it a "record" is disingenuous.  The time frame is arbitrary (record for "March"), and the way "hottest" is defined is arbitrary.  What is and is not reported as a record is arbitrary.

Every single day weather related records are broken.  That's the nature of a sparse dataset.

Analogy:

Suppose on my 40th birthday I claim that for my New Year's resolution I will not get into fist fights.  What is the meaning of a "news" story on January 2nd that "January 1st was ulthar's least violent day in recorded history"?

It has no value scientifically because the dataset is so incomplete.  January 1-6 will be ulthar's least violent week, January will be the least violent month, etc.  With no data prior to the arbitrary time frame of "the record," these superlatives have no basis and no importance whatsoever.

Thus, reporting them as "news" is misleading at best.  This kind of news reporting survives on the ignorance and gullibility of the readership.  This is junk reporting masquerading as "science."

ulthar, you are being anything but objective in your posts in this thread. You clearly have an emotional reaction to the story. You're almost the antithesis of objectivity. "Record breaking" simply means in terms of what has been recorded, despite what zero scientific merit you give it. Is there an agenda? Maybe. Is it as important as some other news stories, certainly not. But it was an uncommonly warm winter across much of the northern hemisphere. It was an notable anomaly within the context of recorded weather patterns. It is worthy of being reported. End of story. You're taking such a hardline and stubborn posture that you are becoming the very antithesis of objectivity.

ulthar

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13:36 AM »

Yep.  You are right.  I'm wrong.  It is OBVIOUS that I have no analytical or debating skills whatsoever and everything I say on this board is driven by either an agenda or an overblown emotional response.  It's obvious because you keep pointing it out.

Yep. That's me to a tee.

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 09:17:39 AM »

Yep.  You are right.  I'm wrong.  It is OBVIOUS that I have no analytical or debating skills whatsoever and everything I say on this board is driven by either an agenda or an overblown emotional response.  It's obvious because you keep pointing it out.

Yep. That's me to a tee.

In only point it out on occasion. I can take criticism, and I tend only to criticize people I think can take it. I'm beginning to reconsider in your case.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »

"March 2012 will go down as the warmest March in the United States since record-keeping began in 1895, NOAA said Monday."

Limits and boundaries clearly defined in the first sentence of the article. Everything is "arbitrary," if you want to get down to brass tacks. I don't understand your objection. Has the time period "March" changed since 1895? Or the way we measure temperature or calculate averages?

The article is saying no more than some very basic statements. Since "reliable" record-keeping began in 1895, the average temperature in the United States for the period of March is the warmest yet. The article even hedges its bets by including the statement: "Short-term weather patterns such as the one that affected the United States are poor indicators of global climate trends, however."

Datasets have to start somewhere. Six days of ulthar non-violence isn't very significant, but 117 years of weather data is less so. But it doesn't really matter, the limits of the article were clearly defined in the article.

With no data prior to the arbitrary time frame of "the record," these superlatives have no basis and no importance whatsoever.

That can't be what you mean. By that logic, all observation is meaningless because it doesn't take into account everything that was non-observed throughout the history of the universe. All science involves simplification of the natural world.

In the article, those simplifications were explicitly stated.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »

Personally,I don't think it has anything to do with liberals or conservatives or cowboys or ballerinas. Weather has been changing for as long as there has been a world....that's why we have "averages" and not "normals". Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 01:20:44 PM »

Personally,I don't think it has anything to do with liberals or conservatives or cowboys or ballerinas. Weather has been changing for as long as there has been a world....that's why we have "averages" and not "normals". Wink

Agreed. However, that's also why we have statistical anomalies, and this year was certainly one.

tracy

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »

Agreed. However, that's also why we have statistical anomalies, and this year was certainly one.
Very true. Smile

Frank81
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »

Very true. Smile

All true, what  is  also true is these  hysterical  headlines  are also being used  by extreme environmentalists to push an agenda. Of course,  those who  don't want to conserve and  just consume are also to blame for the hysteria.
tracy

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 12:26:21 PM »

Very true. Smile

All true, what  is  also true is these  hysterical  headlines  are also being used  by extreme environmentalists to push an agenda. Of course,  those who  don't want to conserve and  just consume are also to blame for the hysteria.
I think if there is hysteria about most anything someone from the media will blow it up for the sensationalism. The old phrase that it sells papers doesn't exactly apply ,though.  Most folks I know read news online or watch one of those 24/7 news networks.

Frank81
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »

Very true. Smile

I think if there is hysteria about most anything someone from the media will blow it up for the sensationalism. The old phrase that it sells papers doesn't exactly apply ,though.  Most folks I know read news online or watch one of those 24/7 news networks.
The internet is far worse, it's immediacy does not allow for rebuttal or refelction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  U.S. sees warmest March in recorded history « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.