Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:39:24 AM
714197 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE THREE STOOGES (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: THE THREE STOOGES (2012)  (Read 6339 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 15, 2012, 07:19:41 AM »

This one will be debated fiercely, but I'm putting it in the "good" category.  It isn't great, but it's good.  Bottom line: if you are a fan of the original Stooges you will probably enjoy this (at least to some degree).  If you hate the Stooges, you will probably hate this movie.  It's the usual eye-poking, face slapping humor brought forward to 2012.  There are several genuine, original belly laughs, but they are few and far between.  The best element of the movie is Chris Diamontopolous who is absolutely perfect as Moe.  He is spot-on with every facial expression and voice inflection.  He really brings Moe back to life.

I rate this "good" ( 3 / 5)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
TheDope
Movie Reviewer And Professional Nit-Picking Geek

Gone but not forgotten... well, KINDA forgotten.

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:47:30 AM »

I don't even have to see this movie to know it will be good, but I probably will anyway.  It's a default setting in my brain that Moe, Larry and Curly will be funny to me.  Juvenile antics are the message, and the message even comes through in the trailers. 

Put me in the "good" segment, because The Three Stooges are good.  They are what they are, and they are... STOOGES.   BounceGiggle

- TGWD

TheDope: bringing the conversation to a grinding halt since 2002.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »

One thing I was surprised about is the complete lack of an epic pie fight in this movie . . .

And I thought the appearances by the Farrelly brothers at the end explaining to kids that the Stooges used rubber hammers and sound effects seemed a bit awkward.  But, hey, we are living in the age of political correctness and over-protection . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
major jay

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 12:55:19 PM »

And I thought the appearances by the Farrelly brothers at the end explaining to kids that the Stooges used rubber hammers and sound effects seemed a bit awkward.  But, hey, we are living in the age of political correctness and over-protection . . .

It sounds like they're making fun of how the media acted in the 60's.
They even got Moe to repent.

lN17FSL6SkE

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »

I must pass....I doubt I'll even bother with on DVD. I guess I'm too stubborn a Stooges purist to give it a chance.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »

I've seen the trailer, and have no plans to see the film. If there were a way to file a class-action lawsuit on behalf of Messrs. Howard and Fine, I would.

Columbia Pictures screwed them badly enough with the "in perpetuity" clause in their contracts....now the Farrely Brothers are doing it to their memory.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »

I must pass....I doubt I'll even bother with on DVD. I guess I'm too stubborn a Stooges purist to give it a chance.

The 3 lead actors all do excellent work . . . particularly Chris Diamontopolous as Moe.  There is no reason to see this on a huge theater screen . . . DVD will work just as well.

tracy

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »

The 3 lead actors all do excellent work . . . particularly Chris Diamontopolous as Moe.  There is no reason to see this on a huge theater screen . . . DVD will work just as well.

I don't think I will,hon....but go for it. Wink

JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »

I saw it and I was NOT expecting much, but I have to agree with Burgo - it wasn't anything special, but it was entertaining and funny at times.  I LOVE the original Stooges, so I was ready to roll over in MY grave, but I think that this was about as good as a Three Stooges movie could be in this time, without the original boys.  Obviously, they'll never live up to the originals, but the three leads did a great job in a tough situation.  It was good enough not to tarnish the original, and maybe it'll get a few younger people out there to seek out the originals?  The trailers did it no justice (while I did feel there was too much pop culture type humor, they Jersey Shore thing was handled far better than the trailers indicated).  I probably won't rush to see it again (I've got my Stooge dvd's when I want some actual N'yucks), but it was worth my hour and a half...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Frank81
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »

It's indicative of what has happened  to movies  in general, not content  anymore  to reuse  old ideas  badly, now,  they are  channeling  dead  people  and the characters they created. What's next  hologram new movies having actual dead actors  playing themselves  in new situations. No thanks, I'll watch the originals, Hollywierd  is not  getting one more penny  from me  for this kind of nonsense.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »

We NEED more slapstick/Stooges style fun in movies today.

On one hand, I want to see this. On another, as a Stooges purist, it bothers me a studio is gonna make money off of three dead guys, and that a young generation of kids today will sadly accept THESE guys as the 'real' stooges.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pacman000
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 05:50:04 PM »

It's indicative of what has happened  to movies  in general, not content  anymore  to reuse  old ideas  badly, now,  they are  channeling  dead  people  and the characters they created. What's next  hologram new movies having actual dead actors  playing themselves  in new situations. No thanks, I'll watch the originals, Hollywierd  is not  getting one more penny  from me  for this kind of nonsense.

Remakes have been around for a long time.  For example, An Affair to Remember was a remake of Love Affair.  20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Swiss Family Robinson, Ben-Hur, The Lost World all have been made multiple times.  I'm not sure I like the idea of a new actors playing the Three Stooges, but something similar was done with Laurel and Hardy in the 60's. (Although I must admit that movie didn't pretend it was the same people; they were supposed to be Laurel and Hardy's relatives.)
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »

Interesting commentary thus far. I have to say, I would normally be intensely opposed to this kind of thing, but in this case, I am inclined to give it a chance. It's similar to how I felt about The Muppets last year.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Frank81
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:52:10 AM »

Remakes have been around for a long time.  For example, An Affair to Remember was a remake of Love Affair.  20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Swiss Family Robinson, Ben-Hur, The Lost World all have been made multiple times.  I'm not sure I like the idea of a new actors playing the Three Stooges, but something similar was done with Laurel and Hardy in the 60's. (Although I must admit that movie didn't pretend it was the same people; they were supposed to be Laurel and Hardy's relatives.)

Yes, and  remakes usually  are awful.  This is  quite  different, it's  not a  BIO.
tracy

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »

Yes, and  remakes usually  are awful.  This is  quite  different, it's  not a  BIO.
That's often the case....I finally gave in and rented the remake/retelling of my favorite John Wayne western,"True Grit". Only because I love Jeff Bridges....not only was I not disappointed I was reassured that my initial appraisal was correct....I thought it sucked.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE THREE STOOGES (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.