Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:19 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Cabin in the Woods (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Cabin in the Woods (2012)  (Read 8007 times)
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 19, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »

Has anyone seen this yet?  I saw it at the midnight screening last week and absolutely loved it.  Brought my wife back a few days later as she was now intrigued.  I'll obviously not say much about it (I'm sure everyone's heard that it's best to go in "clean", and that's very true), but it was very enjoyable and (I think) did something different with the genre.  I mean, I'm sure peope will say that it's derivative of "____" or "___", but I think that's part of the point in a way.

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:52:15 PM »

I'm going to see it next week, will report back then. Actually I was surprised no one had commented on it yet.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JayJayM12
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »

I'm going to see it next week, will report back then. Actually I was surprised no one had commented on it yet.

Same here!  Even though I did a search, I was still expecting someone to link me to a topic already begun (I did see a topic regarding the trailer).

Hope you enjoy it and can't wait to hear what you and others think.  If it's not too late, do yourself a favor and avoid reading anything about it until after you see it...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »

Same here!  Even though I did a search, I was still expecting someone to link me to a topic already begun (I did see a topic regarding the trailer).

Hope you enjoy it and can't wait to hear what you and others think.  If it's not too late, do yourself a favor and avoid reading anything about it until after you see it...

I haven't read any actual spoilers, thank goodness. I promise I won't post any when I see it.

voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:57:25 AM »

Now that it's got positive reviews on this site I just might check it out even though I got the impression that it was an
Evil Dead knockoff.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
RobFilm
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »

It's fantastic, and as you've probably heard you'll definitely want to go in knowing as little as possible.
Had an interesting viewing experience at this one actually, due to a fault we had to watch the entire first scene in lovely shades of pink and green!
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:38 PM »

This movie is an achievement of the genre for showing you the familiar in an unfamiliar way. It both lampoons and glorifies the many cliche points of horror by giving you a "behind-the-scenes" view of why events unfold as they do. There are plenty of good horror moments and a heaping helping of laughs and perhaps the most chaotic movie climax that I think I've ever seen in a horror film.

I don't know how to describe or explain anything in this movie without giving away anything. It's the most fun I've had at a horror flick since Drag Me to Hell. My advice: see it for yourself, despite what you expect from it. What you will get is not what you expect, I can promise that my own  viewing, I was blindsided. The Tagline, "You think you know the story" could not be more appropriate. Thumbup

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »

Short review: see it.

More official review: Five college kids find themselves trapped inside an impossibly clichéd horror movie situation at the titular locale; if they manage to survive the redneck zombies, they will still have to worry about the puppetmaster pulling the strings. This hip, blackly comic postmodern campfire tale is almost like a horror movie script dashed off by Charlie Kaufman. I can guarantee you have not seen the ending before. 4.5/5 (very possibly a 5/5).

Unexpectedly, I found this movie extremely funny. The humor is much more subtle, but it made me laugh at least as much as TURNER AND DALE VS. EVIL.

JayJayM12
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 07:02:46 PM »

Short review: see it.

More official review: Five college kids find themselves trapped inside an impossibly clichéd horror movie situation at the titular locale; if they manage to survive the redneck zombies, they will still have to worry about the puppetmaster pulling the strings. This hip, blackly comic postmodern campfire tale is almost like a horror movie script dashed off by Charlie Kaufman. I can guarantee you have not seen the ending before. 4.5/5 (very possibly a 5/5).

Unexpectedly, I found this movie extremely funny. The humor is much more subtle, but it made me laugh at least as much as TURNER AND DALE VS. EVIL.

Glad you liked it!  Couldn't agree more with your ratings...

However, I much preferred Tucker and Hooch vs. Evil over Turner and Dale vs. Evil.  However, Turner and Hooch vs. Evil would be amazing!   BounceGiggle

crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 05:44:53 AM »

I really liked this a lot.

I had no idea what to expect as I ignored all press and reviews and I'm really glad I did.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 05:10:04 AM »

I knew nothing about this movie, other than the title. Unexpectedly, one of my friends (whose opinion I trust) posted that it was one of the best movies he's ever seen. Good enough for me. I did no research on the movie and stepped into the theater cold.

Holy Hell.

This is a great movie. A f**king great movie.

It's like somebody decided to make a movie with everything I love. My only regret is that I did not see it with a loud, drunken Saturday night audience. Just fantastic. If you post on this message board, and I know that you do, you owe it to yourself to go watch this movie.

Don't research it, the less you know the better.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »

Incidentally, I sort of blame this movie for reducing my enjoyment of THE AVENGERS. I knew that Wheedon wrote both scripts back to back and so I was unconsciously expecting AVENGERS to deliver something new andgroundbreaking in the superhero genre just like CABIN did for horror.

dean

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 08:11:39 AM »

My gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggod.

Just saw it and thought it was brilliant.  It wasn't going to get a cinema release here, for who knows what reason, but a public outcry meant that the cinema around the corner from my house is playing it exclusively for a few weeks in a limited run, so I lucked out and managed to see it two nights ago.

This was way better than Tucker and Dale, a movie I also enjoyed, and Cabin also reminded me alot of Attack the Block, possibly my favourite genre film of last year.

Just spot freakin' on. 

[Oh and mofo, saw it with a packed audience and yes, it was much better with an large group, all of who were there to enjoy the hell out of it.]

If you even slightly enjoy horror films go see this one, as it plays with the concept magically.

***SPOILERS***

I could talk about so much, but the one scene that pushed it over the edge for me was the Merman scene.  Just brilliant..

Ok I think I've finished gushing now.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 01:17:48 PM »

Just saw it last night at the cheapo theater, and i thought it was pure awesomeness put into a movie. Best movie I've seen all year no contest.

Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »

I finally got round to it, and I agree with everything that has been said so far.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Cabin in the Woods (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.