Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:55:34 AM
713397 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Something I once did as a kid « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Something I once did as a kid  (Read 13890 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 19, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »

I have to admit that I am turned off by things in movies that are totally unrealistic and can never happen in real life.  Things that defy the laws of logic, reality, human behavior and all that.  I have been this way all of my life.  I'll give you one thing.

Back in the forth grade, my teacher read us a story for story time.  That story was Rip Van Winkle.  I don't know how many of you know this story.  But anyways I was listening to the story and a few times was shaking my head at some of the stuff I was hearing.

When the teacher was done, she asked us all for a comment.  All of the other students were raising their hands saying how they liked or disliked the story.  So I raised my hand and when the teacher called my name, I said "Mrs. Featherly, that story is totally unrealistic and could never happen and in real life."

Mrs. Featherly frowned at me and asked "Why do you say that?"

I said "Well for one thing, no one can sleep for 20 years and wake up alive 20 years later, its impossible."

Then John jerked his head at me and said "How do you explain coma patients who have been in comas for that long?"

I told John "Coma patients are different.  They are in hospitals with constant support from hospital staff.  They are fed, given water all all that.  Rip van Winkle had none of that.  he fell asleep in a forest far away from any human settlement.  Well I shouldn't say sleep because he failed to wake up so it had to have been a coma."

Mrs. Featherly then said "But why do you say he wouldn't be able to wake up alive 20 years later?"

I said "Let me ask you this Mrs. Featherly, can you survive 20 years without eating or drinking?  Can anyone survive 20 years without eating or drinking?"

Mrs. Featherly nodded.  "I see your point.  But still that's no reason you shouldn't enjoy this.  Its a wonderful story."

"Not to me it isn't.  Because for one, it never happened and never will happen."

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »

That's because the concept of magic and miracles has no place in that hard-wired mass of circuitry you call a brain.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:26:39 PM »

I have to admit that I am turned off by things in movies that are totally unrealistic and can never happen in real life.
... Says the guy with the Mecha Godzilla avatar.   Lookingup

Still, it's refreshing to see that you were always a cynical joyless individual with no imagination who feels the need to point out how he's smarter than everybody else.    

zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »

That's because the concept of magic and miracles has no place in that hard-wired mass of circuitry you call a brain.
he should be thankful it wasn't 'Goldilocks & The Three Bears'. that would've definitely caused a short circuit, and probably a blowout

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:43:52 PM »

he should be thankful it wasn't 'Goldilocks & The Three Bears'. that would've definitely caused a short circuit, and probably a blowout

Alice in Wonderland. We wouldn't have a WyreWizard today if they'd been read Alice in Wonderland.
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 09:26:30 PM »

I have to admit that I am turned off by things in movies that are totally unrealistic and can never happen in real life.  Things that defy the laws of logic, reality, human behavior and all that.  I have been this way all of my life.  I'll give you one thing.

Back in the forth grade, my teacher read us a story for story time.  That story was Rip Van Winkle.  I don't know how many of you know this story.  But anyways I was listening to the story and a few times was shaking my head at some of the stuff I was hearing.

When the teacher was done, she asked us all for a comment.  All of the other students were raising their hands saying how they liked or disliked the story.  So I raised my hand and when the teacher called my name, I said "Mrs. Featherly, that story is totally unrealistic and could never happen and in real life."

Mrs. Featherly frowned at me and asked "Why do you say that?"

I said "Well for one thing, no one can sleep for 20 years and wake up alive 20 years later, its impossible."

Then John jerked his head at me and said "How do you explain coma patients who have been in comas for that long?"

I told John "Coma patients are different.  They are in hospitals with constant support from hospital staff.  They are fed, given water all all that.  Rip van Winkle had none of that.  he fell asleep in a forest far away from any human settlement.  Well I shouldn't say sleep because he failed to wake up so it had to have been a coma."

Mrs. Featherly then said "But why do you say he wouldn't be able to wake up alive 20 years later?"

I said "Let me ask you this Mrs. Featherly, can you survive 20 years without eating or drinking?  Can anyone survive 20 years without eating or drinking?"

Mrs. Featherly nodded.  "I see your point.  But still that's no reason you shouldn't enjoy this.  Its a wonderful story."

"Not to me it isn't.  Because for one, it never happened and never will happen."

What is unrealistic is this conversation between two 9 year olds and a 4th grade teacher; i.e. once again you made up a story to tell us...another lie.

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:50:35 PM »

I have to admit that I am turned off by things in movies that are totally unrealistic and can never happen in real life.  Things that defy the laws of logic, reality, human behavior and all that....

Blah blah blah,

The idea is that you can't sleep that long, yet someone mysteriously enough, could.

Things that also aren't realistic:

-Vampires
-Witches
-Zombies
-Demons
-Narnia
-Minotaurs
-Sex after marriage
-The Matrix
-Werewolves
-Magic

Most good things in cinema. In the case of stories that are MEANT to be realistic I'd point out these flaws, but Rip Van Winkle doesn't count as "realistic". If you're so grounded in reality you can't accept the absurd, then you don't belong on this site or for that matter watching in movies. The simple concept of fantasy seems to have slipped by you.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:54:10 PM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

Frank81
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »

I loved  fantasy  as a kid, sure beats  the obscene horror reality of being an adult.  It;s too bad you  missed that in childhood, it's all downhill later.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:29:31 AM »

What is unrealistic is this conversation between two 9 year olds and a 4th grade teacher; i.e. once again you made up a story to tell us...another lie.

Precisely so.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:34:41 AM »

I used to poo my pants as a kid: something I still do today. Still got the undies which have never been anywhere near soap and vice versa.  TongueOut Twirling Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 01:44:56 AM »

I have to admit that I am turned off by things in movies that are totally unrealistic and can never happen in real life.
... Says the guy with the Mecha Godzilla avatar.   Lookingup
Still, it's refreshing to see that you were always a cynical joyless individual with no imagination who feels the need to point out how he's smarter than everybody else.    
Frankly, I thought that was describing you

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 04:39:17 AM »

Personally I'm GLAD Weenie Woofer posted another inane thread.
Gives me a chance to give him more Bad Karma.
A chance I will take advatage of.  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »

It's interesting....literal mindedness is almost as common as a vivid imagination in children. I had it and so did my daughter....granted,not quite to that extent....but it isn't too strange. Of course,once my imagination took off I didn't look back. I try not to even now....reality and being a grown up really sucks at times. However,reality is too heavy a weight to actually leave behind....just ask the bill collectors. BounceGiggle

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »

Don't feel so alone....

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Pacman000
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 01:32:55 PM »

Alice in Wonderland. We wouldn't have a WyreWizard today if they'd been read Alice in Wonderland.

Judging from WyreWizard's Karma, that might not be bad....
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Something I once did as a kid « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.