Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:46:52 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Taking a break « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Taking a break  (Read 16936 times)
Frank81
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »

I miss the times when our big arguments were because one person didn't think that "Hell Comes to Frogtown" was the best movie ever made, and the other person thought it was better than "Citizen Kane."
Does this topic still exist?  I want a link.  

You should instead plead my case for me starting a Zardoz discussion...it's much more entertaining. Wink
Can't we have both? 

Probably not as the people who like Zardoz are still locked away. TeddyR

I saw ZARDOZ once in a dank 'kids' theater in Athens, Greece  after getting drunk. It was dubbed in French with Greek Subtitles and in such bad shape that  about an hour into the film it got stuck, burned and broke. The audience,ten kids and soccer hooligans started throwing bottles and I got hit with one. I came out bleeding staggered  to a  local pub, washed and kept drinking.. Good movie. Drink
Frank81
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 10:22:43 PM »

This site has been a tremendous source of entertainment and stimulation for me. Not only is it a great site dedicated to my fascination for bad movies, but has also been a source of many fascinating social/philosophical/ideological/political discussions. I can be very opinionated at times, and have no troubles expressing my views, but I also enjoy the exchange of ideas that I have come to love at badmovies.org. But in the end, this is a bad movie site.

I’ve felt lately that the site is sort of being overrun by those with axes to grind. I don’t mind the disagreement. Like I said I enjoy the exchange of ideas. However, it just seems like there is an attempt to make the site a place for furthering agendas than exchanging ideas. It is to the point that threads that have nothing to do with such endeavors get hijacked and some sort of social/political agenda gets woven in.

This may seem a somewhat hypocritical complaint since I am one of the guiltiest when it comes to jumping into debates without hesitation. Perhaps it is partly because of this that I need to take a break for a while. I thought about just refraining from such discussions, but I think I just need a break so that if/when I return maybe the site will be a little more fresh again and I can have more fun with it. Not that I don’t have fun with it now, but I just think that it has become too much of a site where people have to air their political laundry every chance they get. Like I said, I’m not judging. I know I’m guilty too, but it just seems epidemic now that politics/world views are finding their way into too many areas where they are not asked for or welcome. Because I contribute to this myself, all the more reason to take a break out of respect for what this site is supposed to be about, celebrating and making fun of bad movies.

I don’t know how long of a break I will take. I really have no idea. I may log in occasionally to read reviews or contributions related to movies.

I do want to let everybody know that this is nothing personal toward anybody in particular, I’m not hurt or angry or trying to make a statement. Besides, I have a lot coming up in the next couple of months with a third child being born, trying to start a new business with my wife, and everything else that I’m likely to be a bit overwhelmed. The reason for this post is more because I’ve been here long enough, and may even actually have a few members that might miss me if I suddenly disappeared without explanation. I am very fond of all of you, so I know sooner or later I will be back.

Your friend,
Flick James

I just arrived here the last few weeks and I thought we exchanged  some interesting views. However, I understand your feelings, as  I left a  board  I was on for a few years, just abruptly left, never to return, about a year ago. People were trying to track me down, some saying my posts had taken a darker turn the last two years since my mother died, which, I aknowledge  may be the case. I'm sure you'll be back, you got buddies here.
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 07:07:01 AM »

I still haven't seen Zardoz!  It is criminal. [depending on the person reading, it's either criminal that it exists, or that I haven't seen it.]

Since I don't really post in forums elsewhere, its nice to get opinions from people other than mine in the political threads as I genuinely find them interesting, even if I don't always agree.  Things are relatively civilised between most, which is something I treasure as it breeds good discussions.

Andrew's comment about the upcoming election is somewhat telling though, as this issue probably came at a head last election and I mustn't have drawn a line between the two.  If it gets too much and a ban gets put in place, I'll be disappointed, sure, but the board isn't beholden to my preferences alone and I'm sure I'll survive.   Thumbup

Non-political/political, either way, I'll still be around to discuss silliness in movies.

Anyone see Battleship?  I just watched it and it is criminal that no-one said 'you sunk my battleship.'

Also the Aliens looked like a bunch of bald metal fans, with their spiky beards and whatnot.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »

I still haven't seen Zardoz!  It is criminal. [depending on the person reading, it's either criminal that it exists, or that I haven't seen it.]

Yes.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 10:20:21 AM »

The penis is bad, ZARDOZ is good.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

f**k it.

I'm not taking a break, at least not from the site in general. I love it too much. I am taking a break from political discussions, however, although it looks like Andrew is cracking down on that anyway.

I have to say I feel extremely guilty now. Andrew may have been intending to crack down anyway as he says, but I can't escape feeling like this thread helped bring it on. I want to say that if that's the case then I am very sorry. That was totally NOT my intention. But if anybody think I'm an a***ole, I don't blame you.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »

Don't feel sorry about it.  We need less politics and religion and more talk about Japanese guys in rubber monsters suits and shirtless guys that vaguely resemble Arnold Schwarzenegger anyway. 
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:16 AM »

f**k it.

I'm not taking a break, at least not from the site in general. I love it too much. I am taking a break from political discussions, however, although it looks like Andrew is cracking down on that anyway.

I have to say I feel extremely guilty now. Andrew may have been intending to crack down anyway as he says, but I can't escape feeling like this thread helped bring it on. I want to say that if that's the case then I am very sorry. That was totally NOT my intention. But if anybody think I'm an a***ole, I don't blame you.

There is no need to beat yourself up over anything...that's my job, b1tch. TeddyR

That aside, 4 years ago during the last election a suspension was put on political discussions, and I went around threadjacking any thread that could be flaming potential. This is earlier than it was last time, and the conflicts were certainly coming to a head the previous time, so probably nipping it in the bud right now was already on Andrew's plate; it sure wouldn't be a bad idea.

Despite any suspension, there are still going to be those who can't live without tension and will try to get debates started, and those who will inject political jabs into threads where they do not belong...they just have to have conflict. I don't have any interest in monitoring threads to divert them from flaming, so somebody else is going to have to threadjack and change the subject to Andy's pets. TeddyR

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 11:49:35 AM »

Anyone see Battleship?  I just watched it and it is criminal that no-one said 'you sunk my battleship.'
Frankly, I think that line should have been right there in the trailers. 
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2012, 12:22:07 PM »

f**k it.

There is no need to beat yourself up over anything...that's my job, b1tch. TeddyR

That aside, 4 years ago during the last election a suspension was put on political discussions, and I went around threadjacking any thread that could be flaming potential. This is earlier than it was last time, and the conflicts were certainly coming to a head the previous time, so probably nipping it in the bud right now was already on Andrew's plate; it sure wouldn't be a bad idea.

Despite any suspension, there are still going to be those who can't live without tension and will try to get debates started, and those who will inject political jabs into threads where they do not belong...they just have to have conflict. I don't have any interest in monitoring threads to divert them from flaming, so somebody else is going to have to threadjack and change the subject to Andy's pets. TeddyR

I'm one of the ones that enjoys the conflict. I had to take a step back and look at myself in the mirror and ask myself why the f*** I come here. It's nice to exercise personal demons once in a while.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »

Yeah, they get fat and flabby otherwise!

Or did you mean exorcise? TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »

Ah, crap. I suppose you won't believe me when I tell you that was a typo rather than a misspelling. Ah, crap, the "o" is on the other side of the keyboard. BUSTED!

Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:22 PM »

Ah, crap. I suppose you won't believe me when I tell you that was a typo rather than a misspelling. Ah, crap, the "o" is on the other side of the keyboard. BUSTED!

I prefer to look at it as 'exercise'...because I'm improving it and making it stronger. TeddyR

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »

Nope.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »

I prefer to look at it as 'exercise'...because I'm improving it and making it stronger. TeddyR

Given my history of playing Devil's Advocate, you may have something there. BounceGiggle

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Taking a break « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.