Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:24:13 PM
712918 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE HUNTER (2011) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE HUNTER (2011)  (Read 2132 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: July 24, 2012, 01:56:49 PM »

This was an amazing movie.  I had never heard of it until I saw the trailer playing on the bigscreen  at Hasting's last week, but I am glad I rented it.  Willem Defoe plays the role of Martin David, a bounty hunter hired by a powerful biotech firm to hunt down the last living Thylacine, or Tasmanian Tiger.  Their motives are not environmental or altruistic - they want the creature dead so they can clone its DNA to replicate the powerful venom the Thylacine used to paralyze its prey.  David heads for the remote Tasmanian wilderness, posing as a biologist doing research on the more common Tasmanian Devils.   The company has rented him a room at the home of Lucy Armstrong, the grieving wife of an environmental researcher who disappeared on the mountain the previous year while searching for the tiger.  As the movie progresses, David becomes closer and closer to Lucy and her two children, Sass and Bike.  But he also is drawing closer and closer to his quarry.  But the nearer he gets to the tiger, the less he wants to fulfil his mission.  So the company sends out someone to replace him  . . . .

This was a beautiful film - gorgeous cinematography, brilliant acting, and a very compelling story.  Sam Neill has a great supporting role as Jack Mindy, a local rancher who says he is trying to help Lucy and the kids get by, but whose real motivations are more questionable.  Complex and thought provoking, my only real complaint is that the movie is slow-moving in places.  But the beautiful setting makes up for the long sequences without dialogue.  You really ought to check this one out.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:55:42 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation.  I saw the trailer on YouTube (all hail youtube) and it did look pretty interesting.  I will check it out when I can.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE HUNTER (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.