Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:25:17 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does Anybody Here Have Their Own Business? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Anybody Here Have Their Own Business?  (Read 2182 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: April 28, 2012, 05:21:04 PM »

My wife and I have made the decision to start our own business. She has over 10 years experience in all aspects of bookkeeping and accounting for small to medium businesses, and I just finished an MBA. Between us I think we have most of what we need to start small with an accounting outsourcing company. We're going to start small and grow slowly, working from home and see where it goes. We're going to focus on the accounting needs of small businesses as a niche market. A good client or two is all we would need to get ourselves going for almost no start-up costs and grow the business slowly. I wouldn't quit my job or anything, but with her being stay-at-home I could help run the business, market it, and if things go well perhaps break out as a fulltime business.

Does anybody else here have any entrepreneurial endeavors? It's scary because neither of us have ever started a business, but also very exciting. Sometimes it's good to feel nervous, and to take risks. It's what makes life worth living in my opinion. I like my job, but I'm tired of working for somebody else.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share, and was curious to see if anybody else does any working for themselves, whether fulltime or as a sideline, who can share any thoughts/advice/experiences/etc.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »

I owned an on-line newspaper which I officially closed February 1. My advice: if someone says they want to help with your venture do not take him/her at their word, get them to sign a contract. That's how I lost the bulk of people who said they'd be contributing for me and I ended up doing damn near everything myself.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »

I don't but my brother co-owns/teaches a Jujitsu school in Gresham.  He's got 20-some students right now; hopefully soon he can quit his regular job (bartending) and just teach, and still make decent money working less than 40 hours a week (and thus, still pay me decent rent money).

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:22:47 PM »

I have been self-employed (in varying degrees) for the last 5-6 years. I am a massage therapist. I still don't make what I would call a living, but I at least supplement my wife's income enough for us to get by. I love being my own boss, but I lack some business skills, so I'm not doing as much with it as I could. This is my third career (after graphic arts and teaching), and it seems to be the most fulfilling so far. It was a big decision to break off on my own, but, despite the small income, I think it was the right one for me. It sounds like you're doing it the right way--start small and build slowly. And NEVER count on a client to give you return business. People are fickle, and customer loyalty is almost always negotiable. Accounting may be a little different, but I think my advice is still sound.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 11:34:17 PM »

I created Eastern Iowa Airsoft in August of 2009.  Basically I plan, market, host, referree, shoot photos and video, and make sure everyone has a good time.

I started my own business because I hate working for other people.  99% of the time I would think, "I could run this place better and more efficiently than these idiots."  Pretty much every male in my family owns their own business or has done so at one point or another so it was only natural that I do the same.

Last year was awful for game attendance.  This year on the other hand is awesome!  Almost every game has had over 30+ players.  And at $15 a head, the money adds up quick.  I grossed $600 for about six hours worth of work yesterday and it wasn't even work to me.  I had a blast doing it!  Some people don't even make that in a week.

Ever play guns around your neighborhood when you were a kid?  Basically we're doing that only we're on private land, and we have way better guns.  And I get paid to do it.
Now I'm looking to make even more cash by offering extras like T-shirts, stickers & decals, custom dog tags, you name it.  If my EIA logo can be put on it, I'll try to sell it.

It's taken a lot of trial and error and many mistakes but it's going stronger than ever right now.  I sure hope it stays that way!  (knocks on wood)

By the way, like the new picture of me?  It was taken at the game yesterday:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:36:51 PM by Ash » Logged
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »

Now I'm looking to make even more cash by offering extras like T-shirts, stickers & decals, custom dog tags, you name it.  If my EIA logo can be put on it, I'll try to sell it.

And a nice logo it is. Wherever did you get it?  Twirling Wink Twirling

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:26:50 AM »

My wife makes bows and crafts for little girls.  She does a decent side business. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Frank81
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »

I work  three jobs, had my own businesses, thanks  to Govt. intervention, large cities  are  dead  end for small business. Try medium cities  to small municipalities, less  money for sure, but, try and build it over the internet. One of my jobs is  almost  solely online.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »

I work  three jobs, had my own businesses, thanks  to Govt. intervention, large cities  are  dead  end for small business. Try medium cities  to small municipalities, less  money for sure, but, try and build it over the internet. One of my jobs is  almost  solely online.
Gone?  Sorry to see you go. 
Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Does Anybody Here Have Their Own Business? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.