Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:21:21 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annual gardening thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Author Topic: Annual gardening thread  (Read 42536 times)
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 07:42:57 AM »

I winter sowed a lot of flower seeds this past winter - red poppies, california poppies, baby's breath, black-eyed susans, dianthus, rose campion, gaillardia, snapdragons, and oriental poppies.  I've recently potted up some into 4 inch pots to let them get larger before I plant them in the garden around the end of May. I also started some morning glorys and mexican sunflowers inside to get a jump start on them since they take a long time to bloom here in northeast PA.

I also started garden peas and lettuce outside in window boxes back in March.  I never grew veggies before, and so far they are doing all right.  We already eaten some of the lettuce already.   TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 07:08:40 AM »

Finally got about half the garden tilled up - a shovel and rake are my version of "tilling".  It's not supposed to rain for a couple days so hopefully I'll get some stuff planted.  We've got plenty of seeds - peas, beans, onions, lettuce, spinach, egg plant, Fennel, beets and Pak Choi (Chinese cabbage).  Can you tell my wife did the shopping?   Smile

All I've got planted so far is the Jalapeños and some salsa peppers.  And a whole ton of flowers (with another ton to go) and the herb garden.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »

Everything is planted.  Even got the tomatoes and an additional pepper plant. Thumbup  Nothing to do now but sit back and water them once in a while.  And weed everything.

Oh, plenty of flowers left to plant I'm sure.   Smile

- Paulo Coelho
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 10:52:08 PM »

I have a type of cacti (don't know the name of it, looks like it has tentacles) that toads loves to be in Question don't know what to plant, rosemary bush is out of the question (dad hates it), tried peppers- they died, just don't know.

yeah no.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 06:33:05 AM »

Our little sweet basil plant in the herb garden died   Bluesad

Other than that I'm just watering the dirt and hoping to see some little green sprouts one of these days.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 07:46:06 AM »

Well...here's my current status on the gardening front.

I planted 3 various cherry tomato plants at the house.  Figure that'll give the kids something to munch on in the summer time without having to go too far to get them.  I got a bit artsy fartsy and built a little rock border around the plants. 

In the corner of the yard I put 6 broccoli plants.  I'm sure with my neighbors forest of oak trees they'll be invaded with worms.  Oh well, I'll deal with that when it happens.

As for the big plot I usually do, I have plans of cutting back a bit.  Though cutting back for me includes 36 tomato plants, onions, beans and maybe corn.  I plan on planting tomorrow, I need to do some shopping after work today.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »

If all goes as planned, we should be planting today. Man, the plot looks huge when it is tilled and empty!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »

hot  Everything is sprouting!  We didn't get the seeds in until last Wednesday, so this seems early.  It has been very dry, so I have been watering rather heavily and the heavy layer of manure we put on has added a lot of mulch, so the soil holds water well.  That must be it.

Twenty-four (I think) tomato plants, of four varieties.  Planted half a pound of sweet corn seeds (also four varieties) and one row each of broccoli, carrots, two kinds of cucumbers, three kinds of squash, beets, radishes, green beans, yellow beans, peas, snow peas, two varieties of sweet peppers, lettuces and celery.  About half in nursery plants and half or more in seeds.  There are shoots coming up all over so now it's a race with the weeds.  I plant densely so there is less room for weeds to thrive once the crops get going. Oh: also watermelons and musk melons.  I threw a LOT of pumpkin seeds that we kept from last year on the manure pile.  That should get interesting.

"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 06:30:49 AM »

We're doing pretty well here overall.  The peppers (red, yellow, orange) are all over a foot tall and healthy.  I just mulched them.  The beans (both pole and bush) are looking good, and the pole beans are starting to climb the twine lattice I made for them.  The carrots look good.  The spinach and lettuce are full - we've been picking and eating that.  Going to pick some of the beets this weekend to go with either Saturday or Sunday's dinner.

The tomatoes are huge.  I'm working on training them to a single vine each that will climb a long pole.  Goofed up two of them by removing the main sucker (main vine), but I've gotten the hang of it now and one of the plants has produced a new main vine.  It's funny when you remove the main sucker because the plant is no longer able to grow in height - they get all thick and gnarled.  We have nine plants, all of different varieties.

My squash and zucchini are looking awesome too, with huge leaves.  The cucumbers are about ready to start climbing the trellis I made for them.  Most of Katie's flower beds are filled.  The Gladiator Alliums already flowered and seem to be done (we thought they bloomed all summer).

Our disappointments were in the strawberries mostly.  They produced a huge crop, but many went soft and bad quickly.  I'm wondering if that was due to the sudden hot weather.  It went from the 50s to the 80s this year in about a week.  We' haven't been too happy with these strawberries (Ozark Beauty) so we're going to pull the present plants and replace them with Tribute plants that sound promising.  Another day-neutral strawberry we might do is Evie 2.  There is a June-bearing variety called Allstar that is another possibility.

Andy's blueberries - some look very good but one of the four set a huge number of fruit and now appears to be dying.  Maybe it set too much fruit.

We removed a lot of bushes from the front and side of the house last weekend.  That's something we've been meaning to do since we bought the house.  We replaced them with Knockout Rose bushes, azaleas, a camillia, and a rhododendron.  Should be very nice-looking in two or three years.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 07:10:34 AM »

Our little garden's doing okay.

My peas are by that little fence kind of to the left.  About half of them came up, but they're looking pretty good.  Then there's 4 rows of lettuce and a couple of spinach.  Don't know what that stuff in the nearest row is - either Chinese cabbage or some sort of onion thing.  And yeah, I need to mow the lawn   TeddyR

Tomatoes look about like they did when I planted them.

Peppers seem to be doing well.  Six of those are Jalapeños, and then there's 6 salsa peppers or something like that.  Don't know what the last one is   Question

Something ate my beans  Hatred  Bugs of some sort I'm assuming.  I ripped up two-thirds of them and replanted, and the remaining ones I've sprayed with bug killer.  Sprayed most everything in the garden with bug killer.

This thing's doing quite well   Thumbup

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 08:23:34 AM »

OH - I forgot the permanent stuff:  we have been eating asparagus since early April (it has been that kind of year) and are letting it rest now.  I don't expect much from the cherries this year as the weather pulled a switcheroo (from cold to hot and back again) on them at the wrong time so they did not set much fruit;  the apples (MacIntosh and Mutsu/Crispin) look promising as long as they get enough water (and the darn horse stops breaking limbs off with his back-scratching); the pears are doing well; the strawberries are going NUTS and the red currants and gooseberries are bearing heavily.  Something took out a wide swath of our raspberries during the winter so this year will be minimal, but the growth we are getting now promises a huge yield for 2013.  The wild grapes and the elderberries are yet to flower, so we'll see.  Even so, I anticipate making a LOT of pies and fruit jelly this fall.

Seriously considering putting in some rhubarb again and replacing our two plum trees with peaches.  Next spring maybe.  Wish I had a place for blueberries too.

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »

Jack do you get beatles where you're at?  They probably gnawed the leaves.

Oh and stop reading this and get on that lawn already.

DarkSider's Realm

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »

Jack do you get beatles where you're at?  They probably gnawed the leaves.

Oh and stop reading this and get on that lawn already.

We've got Japanese beetles around here, I bet that's what's doing it.  I was reading about them:  "They chew leaf tissue from between the veins, leaving a lacy skeleton."  Sounds kind of familiar   Hatred

That spray I used is supposed to kill them.  If not I'll go out there at night and kill them in person   TeddyR

Oh and it's raining today so I unfortunately can't mow the lawn   Bluesad BounceGiggle

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 07:42:04 AM »

The beatles traditionally hatch and do damage for about a week or so.  Usually when stuff is just sprouting unfortunately.  They should cease soon.

DarkSider's Realm

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »

The beatles traditionally hatch and do damage for about a week or so. 

Paul, or Ringo?  TongueOut

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annual gardening thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.