Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:11:58 PM
713354 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annual gardening thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Annual gardening thread  (Read 42786 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »

Jack, we picked a green pepper this morning and cut it up to have with lunch.  Delicious and really crisp.

Sounds nice, I'm looking forward to chopping a few up for some chili.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »

Photos from yesterday:

(I am in this one): corn with watermelon and musk melon vines in front.

The corn and tomatoes:

Here you can see broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, celery, peppers, beans and corn:

Corn and tomatoes again, with the apple trees on the left.  Oh: and there I am again!

Tomatoes and corn with the cucumbers and squash in the foreground and the apple trees behind:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:41:14 PM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »

Newt, that is an awesome looking garden.  I am envious.  There is so much that you could get lost in it all.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »

Thanks, Andrew!  It is a real luxury to have the space for it.  This year has been so dry, we are pleased that it has come along so well.

You were right: the gooseberry pie was a real treat.  Thumbup I would have sent one if I could!  I couldn't resist making some jelly as well; that came out a surprisingly pale pink and captured the gooseberry flavour nicely. 

"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 06:52:54 AM »

Awesome garden Newt!  I see you in there   BounceGiggle  I'm especially jealous of all that sweetcorn - yum!

Took a few pic's of my pint-sized little plot yesterday:

Tomatoes have grown a bit.  We've only gotten half a dozen tomatoes so far, but they should start producing in the next few weeks.

Despite being almost completely destroyed by the great beetle invasion early in the year, the beans have made a nice comeback.  We picked them a couple times - haven't got much yet.  But soon.

Peppers keep growing.  And I keep waiting for them to turn red or yellow or something.  Could probably pick some jalapenos but I'm kind of waiting for them to get that "corked" appearance so I know they're ready.

A few onions and beets.  Not too many of my onions came up, but the ones that made it look healthy.  We've picked some beets already, they must be good because there's never any left for me   Smile  The peas in the back are pretty much done - we picked them a couple times and got a few nice meals. 

That's all that's left of my Bok Choi.  There used to be a whole row of it but something ate it.  I'm blaming the pair of doves that seem to have taken up residence there.  There's a bit of fennel behind it.  Hardly any of it came up, but those are the ones that did.

I ripped out the lettuce and spinach, it was all overgrown.  I may plant some more, but Gwen has to remind me a few more times first   TeddyR

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »

Thanks, Andrew!  It is a real luxury to have the space for it.  This year has been so dry, we are pleased that it has come along so well.

You were right: the gooseberry pie was a real treat.  Thumbup I would have sent one if I could!  I couldn't resist making some jelly as well; that came out a surprisingly pale pink and captured the gooseberry flavour nicely. 

I haven't had gooseberry pie in a long, long time (21+ years).  Never seen one for sale, not even at an Amish market.  You've got me wondering very hard if I could get them to grow in our climate zone.  What I found says that they should, but when I've seen them it's always been in places like Colorado or the mountains of Pennsylvania. 

Jack, your garden is looking good.  The beans look really nice.  We've picked quite a few from our pole bean plants, but they look terrible due to the recent attack by Japanese beetles.  If those are the same beetles you had a problem with, we also had a massive plague of them this year that just tapered off a week ago.  I put out traps for them and the traps were filling daily.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 04:34:32 PM »

Yeah they were probably Japanese beetles, I looked at some pictures of the damage they do to plants and it was identical to the way my beans looked early in the year. 

Traps eh?  I'll definitely have to get some of those next year.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2012, 08:53:56 AM »

We picked a bucket of green beans (bush and pole varieties) yesterday.  Last night I blanched and then froze three freezer bags of them.  We still have enough in the fridge for multiple meals.

The tomatoes are starting to come in faster than we can eat them.  Planning on taking some by for the Marines to take home.  That and I can give quarts of them to the neighbors.  A number of the peppers (yellow, orange, and red) are starting to turn now.  Next week we are going to make red peppers stuffed with sweet Italian sausage and mozzarella and also fajitas with them.  Pretty soon we will be drowning in peppers.

The cucumbers have tapered off, but I'm still picking about one a day and that is more than enough.  Especially since the marketmore variety is averaging about 14 inches long.  I removed the squash and zucchini, it was taking too much damage from downy mildew and we are finally finishing off the last of those in the fridge (we picked about 60-70) anyway.  Planted carrots there for the fall.

We're picking carrots as we need them.  Still looking like we have enough to last us until September.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:02:53 AM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »

Well our Rosemary bush died because we neglected to put it somewhere. Also, my dad hates rosemary bushes, killed the last one.Lookingup

yeah no.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2012, 07:41:55 AM »

Newt, thats a nice hand.

I'm a bit slow over here due to getting my stuff in late.  Although the tomato plants at the house are well over my head.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2012, 08:19:35 AM »

Newt, thats a nice hand.

Thank you.   TeddyR

Just picked over six dozen ears of sweet corn.  What was I thinking and where the heck is Jack?   Wink

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »

I'd be very happy to help you out with the sweet corn Newt TeddyR

I picked a peck of (unpickled) peppers the other day.  Those things are doing great.  Got one red jalapeno but all the rest are still green.  Tomatoes are starting to produce, we get a couple of larger tomatoes each day and a handful of grape tomatoes.  Beans still haven't hit their stride - we picked them again but most are still rather small small.  Since the peas, lettuce and spinach was all done I tore that all out and planted a bunch more stuff - pretty much emptied out all the half-empty seed packets we had sitting around.  Carrots, onions, eggplant, fennel, bak choi, lettuce, parsley, and probably some more stuff I'm forgetting.  It's probably a bit late in the season to be planting some of that stuff, but oh well...we'll see what comes up   Smile  It's been raining every day since I did that planting, so Mr. Lazy over here doesn't have to water anything.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »

Picked tomatoes today, which I hadn't done since about Thursday and this was the result:

Also picked about half a dozen cucumbers in the last two days.  Those seem to be dying off now, probably a combination of how much they have produced and the downy mildew which is still a problem.

We're having stuffed peppers tonight, because the pepper plants are full of red, yellow, orange, and green peppers.  Katie makes an awesome version of stuffed peppers with sweet Italian sausage and mozzarella cheese.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »

If anybody wants Jalapenos, please stop by and just pick all you want.  I'll even give you a couple of bags of them out of the refrigerator  TeddyR

Tomatoes are doing good.  They've got tons of tomatoes on them but they're taking their sweet time getting ripe. 

Beans are really producing well too now

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:56 PM »

Only raised bed still left from the summer garden is the small tomatoes, which are still making so many that about half fall off.

Besides that we have raised beds of daikon, carrots, beets, turnips, lettuce, and spinach growing.  There are also four cauliflower plants, but I think we got them planted too late.  At least they were an experiment anyway.

The everbearing strawberry patch we planted in June is so full I'm going to thin the plants before covering them with straw for the winter, but they are currently blooming and setting fruit. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annual gardening thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.