Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:24:55 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Found a stash of mint Starlog magazines « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Found a stash of mint Starlog magazines  (Read 5826 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 01, 2012, 11:59:09 PM »

A few weeks ago I went for a drive in the mountains with a friend.  We came across a gift shop that sold all manner of homeware and giftware, as well as secondhand books.  My eye was caught by a plastic bin of magazines, all of which were individually wrapped.  Almost all of them were back issues of Starlog, starting from number 2!  And all of them were $5 each!  I bought $70 worth of them and got a discount.  So thrilled!

It's fascinating to see how the magazine evolved over time.  I loved reading the old articles about Close Encounters, as well as the ads for all manner of things.  It was like getting into a time machine to the 70's and 80's.  It's also funny because I never bought a copy of Starlog when it was being published, but now I find myself quite fascinated with it.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pacman000
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »

Cool!  Wait, Starlog isn't being published anymore?  Please say that isn't true.   Bluesad
Pacman000
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »

I looked it up. It is gone.   Bluesad Bluesad Bluesad
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 11:05:13 AM »

I still have few old ones. Magazines like that were all fans had back in the 70's and 80's. I also used to read cinefantastique, but they quite publishing   few years back, but they still sell back issues.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »

I still have few old ones. Magazines like that were all fans had back in the 70's and 80's. I also used to read cinefantastique, but they quite publishing   few years back, but they still sell back issues.

Is that really you, Trekgeezer?  If so welcome back! Anyway, I know it's not the same, but Cinefastique is still around, it's just 100% online - http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »

Yeah, it's sad.  Starlog ceased printing in 2009, and went online, but now it is no more.  These old copies of Starlog are gold.  I love the sense of being back in the time when Star Wars or Close Encounters was released.

I used to see Starlog magazine as a regular fixture at the newsagent (who goes to those any more???) alongside Cinefantastique and several other movie magazines.  I have a few copies of Cinefantastique, SFX, and UK magazine Impact devoted to action cinema.

It makes me wonder how an online magazine becomes successful, ie, profitable, compared with one that sells issues and advertising space?  I guess that they still sell advertising space in the online version, but how do they generate income directly from readers?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »

It makes me wonder how an online magazine becomes successful, ie, profitable, compared with one that sells issues and advertising space?  I guess that they still sell advertising space in the online version, but how do they generate income directly from readers?

Most don't, unless they sell merchandise (like T-shirts) directly. A few outlets (like Variety for one example) charge for memberships, but that's rare. Online advertising also doesn't generate as much revenue as people assume, but the upside is it's very cheap to publish online.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
66Crush
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 01:18:29 AM »

Wow, great find. I would love to have those. I wish I still had some of mine, I cut up most of them when I was kid to make a Doctor Who scrapbook.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 06:05:21 AM »

Though I mostly collected horror film mags in the 70's,I DID have quite a few STARLOGS as well- I seem to recall one with Superman on the front-as well as one that had an articale on CLASH OF THE TITANS! Good find!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 06:00:38 PM »

cool! i used collect misc magazines like fangoria, starlog, savage sword of conan.  i had one issue of starlog that had the villain from suburban comando on the cover, probably 1989 or 1990.  i was actually looking at it on ebay the other day, i think i may go and buy some back issues to get some of my childhood back that was stripped by society and growing up.

exterminate all rational thought.....
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »

I never liked mint.  Did they have any other flavors? 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Found a stash of mint Starlog magazines « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.