Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:59:12 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Sea Beast « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sea Beast  (Read 20813 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 02, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »

What do you get when you cross "Jaws" with "Predator" and cast a 1990s pop culture star as the protagonist?  Why yes, this is a SyFy original movie.  How did you know?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »

I enjoyed this one quite a bit.  It's part of the "Maneaters" series, produced by a Canadian company and distributed via SyFy.  The early films in the series involved things like bears, tigers, etc., but then they started doing genetically-engineered wasps, alien-controlled ants, gargoyles, sand serpents, wyverns, and of course, the Sea Beast. 

Most of them I found at least cheesy-enjoyable, though Mother Pus-Bucket, I hated Sand Serpents. 

Flangepart

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:38:02 AM »

Yeesh. Two words. Riff fest.
It's Sy-Fy, the channel that keeps on giving the cinematic equivalent of White Castle sliders with extra onions.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »

Great review Andrew  Thumbup  I sort of enjoyed this one as well.  It had some fun, silly parts, the characters weren't too bad, and the ending on the ferry was kind of cool.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 05:51:58 PM »

He he he!  The monster makes me think of Venom from the Spider-Man comics!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
rjschwarz
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 11:22:35 PM »

I have to say I like the SyFy films derived from the Monster Manual better than the giant versions of regular animals ones (although who am I kidding, the Monster Manual was full of those as well). Wyvern rocked and this one was fun as well. I just can't wait until they pick up the Call of C'thulu game for a change. After all the source books are in the public domain.

Or better yet, why not the works of H. Beam Piper, all in the public domain and actually Science Fiction.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »

"Blinking is a telltale sign of rigormortis."

And shutting your eyes, as your head is pushed beneath the bathwater is a telltale sign that your are totally paralyzed.

And the pupil in your eye shrinking, when light hits it, is a telltale sign that you are totally deceased.

I believe that the last can be overcome by using atropine, but I don't think that filmmakers have come up with a solution for the other two.

Anyway . . . "bad" movies, like this one, make the best reviews, or, at least, they make the funniest reviews. LOL! again in this one.
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 11:00:55 PM »

Out of all the creatures SciFi/SyFy has produced, the sea beast is probably my favorite in terms of appearance.

Now if they'd only stop making so many reality shows.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
claws
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 01:28:04 AM »

I stopped buying movies from the Maneater series and DVDs in general because of my switch to Blu-ray around the time Sea Beast was released.
After reading Andrew's review I might order the disc after all.
NitroPress
New Visitor

N-N-New from Zik-Zak!

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:38 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like the last few recent reviews have completely omitted the cast names... oversight or Illuminati conspiracy?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like the last few recent reviews have completely omitted the cast names... oversight or Illuminati conspiracy?

No, they should be there at the top of the review:

The Characters:   

Will McKenna - He must have spent a lot of time playing "Mouse Trap" as a child, because his plan to kill the monster is ridiculously complicated.
    Carly McKenna - Will's daughter who is scared of pirates.
    Danny - His sordid weekend in a secluded cabin with his girlfriend turns out to be everything except sordid. He spends every waking moment collecting firewood, cooking meals, and doing other chores until the monster puts him out of his sexually deprived misery.
    Arden - Nine out of ten female marine biologists are natural blondes. Yes she is, but no she's not.
    Ben - Easily mistaken for Quint in a pinch if you squint.
    Sheriff Jay McKenna - Will's brother. His death leaves a big pair of shoes to fill, largely on account of that being all that the monster left of him.
    Drew - You are the only black man in the entire town. Of course you are going to die.
    Erin - Drew's girlfriend and similarly doomed.
    Roy - Such a jerk that the monster, which universally paralyzes its victims with venom before eating them, decides to choke him to death instead.
    The Sea Beast - "It" is obviously a "she" but we never see a Mr. Sea Beast, meaning that she is a single mother with ten thousand eggs. Good luck with that, girlfriend.
    The Sea Beast's Babies - Little creatures about the size of medium dogs.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 08:46:41 AM »

Sea beast. Sea beast eat people. Sea beast run and spawn sequel. Sea beast get riffed by smart folks.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
NitroPress
New Visitor

N-N-New from Zik-Zak!

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »

Thanks, Andrew, I saw all of that. However, the cast names - the actor names - seem to be increasingly omitted from the Dramatis. Not every B-actor is worth listing, but the major character players should be listed, especially when the home page teaser for this listing makes a point about "cast[ing] a 1990s pop culture star as the protagonist"... who, exactly? I never saw a name of said star...
Keiththegamergeek
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »

SyFy weekend movies make Plan 9 from Outer Space look like Star Wars.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 06:43:47 AM »

Sheriff Jay McKenna - Will's brother. His death leaves a big pair of shoes to fill, largely on account of that being all that the monster left of him.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Sea Beast « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.