Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:08:16 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A review of a movie I like (without going into its reality flaws) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A review of a movie I like (without going into its reality flaws)  (Read 4094 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 16, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »

Yes badmoviephiles, someone asked me why I don't recommend a film I like.  Well for this post I am doing just that.  I'm going to give a review of one of my favorite films of all time.  Which one?  I'll give you some hints.  It was released in 1968 and directed by Roman Polanski and stars Mia Farrow and based on the novel by Ira Levin.

Yes badmoviephiles, Rosemary's Baby!!!!  A psychological thriller about a woman worried that the child she is pregnant with will become a sacrificial lamb to a Satanic Cult.

I have to admit, I enjoyed every minute of this film.  Mia Farrow played her role very well.  Many times during the film, we feel the fear and worry she feels.  Ruth Gordon also played her role very well, as did John Cassavetes, Charles Grodin, Tony Curtis, Hope Summers and Sidney Blackmer.  You'd be hard-pressed to find actors and actresses and consummate as these.

Now about the reality flaws of it, I have to admit.  I didn't find any.  I can't find it in my heart to give this film the scrutiny I give most others because I enjoy it too much.

I have this film on DVD and I treasure it a lot.

I am now looking for a movie theater poster of this film. 

When I die, I'll have the DVD, movie poster and a few other items buried with my Earthly remains.

I would love to hear you badmoviephiles' thoughts on Rosemary's Baby, if you've seen the film and where you liked it or not and why.  To me, Rosemary's Baby is Hollywood's most high-quality work.  I doubt we'll ever see anything of this magnitude from Hollywood again.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 04:06:10 AM »

"He's got his father's eyes".  Thumbup
But my fave Polanski film would have to be The Tenant.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »

Really?  Okay, what is it you like about the tenant if you don't mind me asking?  is it the well-written story?  The actors and actresses at their best?  Or something else?

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »

I have to admit, I enjoyed every minute of this film.  Mia Farrow played her role very well.  Many times during the film, we feel the fear and worry she feels.  Ruth Gordon also played her role very well, as did John Cassavetes, Charles Grodin, Tony Curtis, Hope Summers and Sidney Blackmer.  You'd be hard-pressed to find actors and actresses and consummate as these.

A good choice.

Probably one of the best horror films ever made. And certainly one of the best horror films ever made within the past fifty years.

John Cassavetes, Tony Curtis, Ruth Gordon, and Robert Redford

Ruth won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, while John went home empty handed. Not even nominated. Whcih I do think points out one of the problems with the Oscars.
The Academy prefering the flashy performance of a Ruth Gordon to the quiet and understated performance of a John Cassavetes. Though, many times, as here, I think the quiet and understated performance is superior, if only  if it is harder to do, than the flashy performance.

And you are one up on me. Tony Curtis is in the film, but only his voice is used. But watch for horror actor/director/producer Wiliiam Castle as the Man by the Payphone.

And can you see Robert Redford in the role played by John Cassavetes? Redford was actually offered the role, but he turned it down.

Polansaki and Horror

And since we are talking about Roman Polanski and horror, one may want to check-out Polanski's version of "Macbeth." Though he was criticized for using the film as a means to work through the feelings he had after his wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered.

That may be why that film, "A Clockwork Orange," "The Cowboys," and "Straw Dogs" are four of the most controversial films to be released in 1971 and 1972.

voltron

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »

Rosemary's Baby gets all the accolades, but what about The Tenant? My fave Polanski flick by far.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »

Wyre-I think you can be intelligent if you want to. Instead of your "logic" act.
If you like Polanski-lie others have have said-try the TENANT-or CHINATOWN.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:42:44 PM »

Small | Large

How 'bout REPULSION?   ROMAN POLANSKI made at least a few really powerful movies. 
Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:47:45 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 12:10:45 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPyEsObI1M

How 'bout REPULSION?   ROMAN POLANSKI made at least a few really powerful movies. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8O-EFHbfp8

DOH! I gotta go with REPULSION! How did I forget that? Dam! His BEST film!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
voltron

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:41:04 AM »

Really?  Okay, what is it you like about the tenant if you don't mind me asking?  is it the well-written story?  The actors and actresses at their best?  Or something else?
Polanski was the main charater in the film. You just have to see the movie for yourself, really. It's a good combination of all those things you listed. Sometimes darkly comedic, sometimes just downright creepy, I think it would be a perfect movie if it weren't for the cross dressing element which is kinda silly. Repulsion was excellent and I also enjoyed Bitter Moon as well.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  A review of a movie I like (without going into its reality flaws) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.