Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:44:39 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) on TCM tonight 8pm EST « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) on TCM tonight 8pm EST  (Read 2831 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: October 24, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »

CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) tonight 8pm EST  Monday, October 24, 2011  

If you've not seen CARNIVAL OF SOULS now is your chance.  Just BAD enough to be cheesy, and just good enough to be unforgettable.   One of my favorite films.   

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:12:32 PM »

Bad and cheesy? No way, man! BRILLIANT movie.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Raffine

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »

Terrific film!

I have the Criterion DVD. It's got some great extras, including some restored footage and a history of the ultra-creepy Saltair resort.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 06:57:26 PM »

Terrific film!
I have the Criterion DVD. It's got some great extras, including some restored footage and a history of the ultra-creepy Saltair resort.
Yes, that's one of the editions I have, though I have a VHS tape or two, and at least two other DVD editions (of the public domain variety).  I even own the wonderful soundtrack (by GENE MOORE whoever that was) available for the first time not too long ago.

You do know you're on a website called Badmovies.org?  Didja choke when you read the "BAD enough to be cheesy" part and didn't go on to read the rest: "good enough to be unforgettable"?  Despite many dissenting opinions, and a long discussion thread years ago on SciFilm.org (now defunct) I assert that which is apparent to any film viewer: CARNIVAL OF SOULS is a low budget film, with clumsily dubbed exterior sound, a threadbare narrative, and some serious overacting.  And, yes, it's BRILLIANT, too, for all the reasons you see and hear.  But part of its unique greatness is owed to its creakiness. 
"...Bad enough to be cheesy, good enough to be unforgetable..."

voltron

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 06:09:12 PM »

Terrific film!
Yes, that's one of the editions I have, though I have a VHS tape or two, and at least two other DVD editions (of the public domain variety).  I even own the wonderful soundtrack (by GENE MOORE whoever that was) available for the first time not too long ago.

You do know you're on a website called Badmovies.org?  Didja choke when you read the "BAD enough to be cheesy" part and didn't go on to read the rest: "good enough to be unforgettable"?  Despite many dissenting opinions, and a long discussion thread years ago on SciFilm.org (now defunct) I assert that which is apparent to any film viewer: CARNIVAL OF SOULS is a low budget film, with clumsily dubbed exterior sound, a threadbare narrative, and some serious overacting.  And, yes, it's BRILLIANT, too, for all the reasons you see and hear.  But part of its unique greatness is owed to its creakiness. 

I know what you're getting at, AHD. I woudn't call the film "perfect" per se, but I also agree with your assertion that the film works because of it's (very) minor flaws, plus, don't forget, alothough were on Badmovies.org, we're also in the "good movies" section.  Smile

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:51:25 PM »

Terrific film!
Yes, that's one of the editions I have, though I have a VHS tape or two, and at least two other DVD editions (of the public domain variety).  I even own the wonderful soundtrack (by GENE MOORE whoever that was) available for the first time not too long ago.

You do know you're on a website called Badmovies.org?  Didja choke when you read the "BAD enough to be cheesy" part and didn't go on to read the rest: "good enough to be unforgettable"?  Despite many dissenting opinions, and a long discussion thread years ago on SciFilm.org (now defunct) I assert that which is apparent to any film viewer: CARNIVAL OF SOULS is a low budget film, with clumsily dubbed exterior sound, a threadbare narrative, and some serious overacting.  And, yes, it's BRILLIANT, too, for all the reasons you see and hear.  But part of its unique greatness is owed to its creakiness.  

I know what you're getting at, AHD. I woudn't call the film "perfect" per se, but I also agree with your assertion that the film works because of it's (very) minor flaws, plus, don't forget, alothough were on Badmovies.org, we're also in the "good movies" section. Smile
And that's why I'd started this thread in the GOOD MOVIES section.   Smile
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:58:50 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:05:08 PM »

I first seen it on DOUBLE CREATURE FEATURE back in the late 70's. I can't recall the first movie...but CARNIVAL OF SOULS-haunted me for a very-VERY long time!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »

A great movie. In the Criterion extras they mention some of the film was accidentally destroyed. There was a scene where the ghouls were coming out of the ocean into the circus thingy. it sounded terrifying. lets face it: it's an amazing movie.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) on TCM tonight 8pm EST « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.