Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:58:16 AM
713328 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Any Special Films for Memorial Day Weekend? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any Special Films for Memorial Day Weekend?  (Read 2567 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: May 27, 2012, 11:38:51 PM »

Tonight I sat down with my daughter's and we watched SAVING PRIVATE RYAN together.  Over the years my wife and I have been very picky about what we let them watch, and this is a very brutal and realistic film. But, as they are about to turn 18, I felt it was time that they got a fair look at what their Grandad's war was like.

Rebecca has bad headaches and she had to leave about 30 minutes in as the film was too loud for her, but Rachel watched the whole thing with me, and we both cried a bit at the end.  I still think that this is perhaps the greatest war movie of our generation, and one of the most realistic portrayals of World War II ever filmed.  My old friend Harry Thompson, a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge, saw the movie when it came out in theaters and it gave him flashbacks to his own combat days!   I will always be grateful to Steven Spielberg for what is (IMHO) one of the best film tributes ever made to the Greatest Generation.

So, did you or will you watch anything special for this weekend?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 04:05:19 AM »

I haven't seen this but it might be a good one to watch for the occasion..

TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
claws
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:18:41 AM »

I haven't seen this but it might be a good one to watch for the occasion..

TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

Seen it many times on Memorial Day. Fun cheesy slasher, might have to spin it again today :)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:22:35 AM »

I made it out to Cabin in the Woods, which I knew nothing about other than a friend of mine saying it was one of the best movies he's ever seen.

I have to concur, Cabin in the Woods was a great f**king movie. It's like somebody decided to take everything I like and make a movie of it. I'm glad I knew nothing about it prior to seeing it.

Side note about Saving Private Ryan. I remember seeing that in the theaters when it came out, and the first 30 minutes had me completely immersed. Even for the best movies, I'm usually half thinking about something else while I'm watching it. Not so for Saving Private Ryan, I was entranced. Spielberg is a master of the cinema, and when he turns his eye to something more serious than popcorn films the results are amazing.

I also rewatched The Addams Family. Still a fun, fun movie. I can't say the same for the sequel.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »

Well, I watched this over the weekend . . .

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ChaosTheory

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »

I marathoned BAND OF BROTHERS, RED TAILS, and got about halfway through MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA before I gave up on Spike's unsubtlety.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:55:59 AM »

I rewatched the DEERHUNTER (1978)-what a great film.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Any Special Films for Memorial Day Weekend? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.