Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:50:25 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Major DC character to come out of the closet « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Author Topic: Major DC character to come out of the closet  (Read 72612 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 22, 2012, 04:16:19 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2147928/Is-Batman-gay-Major-DC-Comics-character-come-closet.html

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »

Good for them. I look forward to the day when a character coming out of the closet isn't considered to be provocative enough to warrant press releases, though.

As for who it'll be, I seriously doubt it'll be Superman or Batman. They've more or less learned not to mess around too much with their cash cows.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:02:23 PM »

Goodness knows everything HAS to be about sex . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:12:46 PM »

ehhh? Question

yeah no.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »

I'm guessing....hmmm....Robin.
Mebbe Wonder Woman.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:12:12 PM »

Yeah, really, it's not like gay people have committed relationships that would have an impact on story arcs the way straight superheroes have...  Lookingup
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:19:35 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »

As for who it'll be, I seriously doubt it'll be Superman or Batman. They've more or less learned not to mess around too much with their cash cows.

True, both are too iconic and lucrative to take chances with. Besides that, Superman's ongoing thing with Lois is too integral to his story to mess up by making him openly gay.

As for Batman, fans already make jokes about his young, tight-wearing male wards. Nobody is going to do anything that would invite more speculation of that nature.

Of course, if they go too far down the pecking order, this won't mean a whole lot.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 03:49:41 AM »

Marvel and Archie comics did it first....

Marvel had the RAWHIDE KID gay in 2003....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawhide_Kid

Archie comics had a gay charecter in 2010....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Keller

So this is not something groundbreaking.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 03:57:21 AM »

C'mon, DC, who cares?

For those who don't read comics, DC recently rebooted their entire timeline. 70 years of comic history is now gone for their new lineup.

At any rate, it won't be Superman. He's Superman. Batman is basically asexual, but you couldn't make him gay because the Robin thing would be a little bit too awful. Wonder Woman? Too easy.

Seems like another gimmick to me. Openly gay superheroes have not been news for a while. Northstar from Alpha Flight came out in the late '90s, and that would have been news if anybody cared about Alpha Flight. Grant Morrison, during his incredibly popular run on the X-Men in the early 2000s wrote the Beast as gay. (A Marvel comic, of course.)

In fact, the Wildstorm Universe has had two characters, Apollo and the Midnighter, who are carbon copies of Superman and Batman and have been in a committed gay relationship for years.

I'd actually find it more interesting if they actually presented a character as gay as a natural part of the story instead of crowing about it. We're at that point, right?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 07:36:40 AM »

ehhh? Question

Oh for pete's sake!  Lookingup

After decades of story writing based in and out of real life, were you so naive to think something like this wouldn't come up?? Get a grip Indy, gay people are everywhere and they aren't hurting anybody, especially you (it isn't just about "sex"). If you don't like the fact that a comic book has a gay character then don't bloody well read it!

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »

I suppose the difference here is that it's DC and they're planning to do it with (I assume) one of their well-established heroes and not some second-stringer from a title only committed fans are even familiar with. That's something new.

I do see the contradiction in saying on the one hand that gay people are normal enough to include in this way, then tooting their horns for being so progressive. I think it's a good idea, but making it out to be a gutsy move on DC's part kind of undermines the rationale behind it. It's like that Seinfeld episode where Jerry and George were freaking out because people thought they were gay, then adding "Not that there's anything wrong with that." Saying something is no big deal, but making a big deal of it.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »

I really don't see a problem with this, esp. if Batman specifically choose Robin's out fit, which really screams campy and gay at the same time. Basically, it's nothing new, and really, nobody should get bent out of shape for this.

yeah no.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 05:30:16 PM »

I don't see a reason for it. They shuold just create a new gay character. Pink Lightening
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »

This also isn't new for DC, technically.  They've had lesbian versions of Bat Girl.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »

Scratch that, Batwoman.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Major DC character to come out of the closet « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.