Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:55:02 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Good low budget movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Good low budget movies?  (Read 2680 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 16, 2012, 10:52:11 PM »

The thread about The Asylum in the Bad Movies section got me thinking, particularly about movies made with less than $1m, more like 500k.  What are some decent, recently made movies that have that kind of budget?  And I'm not talking about the Iron Sky rip off, haha, but movies that have a reasonable plot, good acting, good cinematography and direction. 

I'm sure there are good low budget indie movies out there, but I'm in the habit of watching multimillion dollar movies about large aliens/robots/cyborgs that blow things up, so I don't necessarily get a lot of exposure to good indie movies.  Even Undisputed II, the prison MMA movie with Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins, had a budget of $8m.  There's got to be something halfway decent out there for $1m or less!

Any suggestions?  From any genre?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:15:08 PM »

Two excellent microbudget horror films that are both very enjoyable:

GRAVE ENCOUNTERS

ABSENTIA

I have reviews of both posted here.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:21:33 PM »

Demon Under Glass (2002) - Budget $1,000,000

Found this on one of those cheap multiple movie DVD sets and it was easily the best movie on that set.
Decent Vampire flick with a neat twist.
dean

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:53:54 AM »

Wolf Creek had a budget of an estimated 1mil, which at the time was probably about 800,000 US$.

Monsters had a budget of about $500,000 and is pretty great too.

Both are good films made cheaply, unlike Asylum which are usually crap films made cheaply but kinda fun sometimes because of that.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »

Paranormal Activity
Kill List
Panic Button
The Last Winter

If it was under $4M, most horror films (made recently) considered memorable are within those restraints, under $1M is a little harder...
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »

When talking about this, I think we should cap the age at 1980 on, which to me is around the start of the modern era.  Even taking that into consideration, remember $500,000 in 1980 is over a million today..  But if we go back to the 40s, A LOT of films are under $500k, like all the B-pictures. 

I thought Colin was worth a watch, which had a budget of about $70.  No joke on that number.  It's a little overlong, but an interesting take on the zombie genre.

Blair Witch Project is an obvious choice, cost under $100k.

Paranormal Activity is around $20k, if memory serves.

There's an odd slightly hard to find film from 2005 called the Prodigy.  Sort of an action/psychological thriller/horror hybrid.  It's a bit of a mixed bag, but the action scenes are actually really good.  Just needed to be trimmed by twenty minutes and the addition of one more tentpole action scene to make it good.  Budget is $115k.

Napoleon Dynamite cost around $400k.

El Mariachi cost around $7,000 and was watchable at that budget.  Worth noting hundreds of thousands were later spend to improve sound/picture for theatre use.

I haven't seen it yet, but Mulberry Street from a few years back has a budget of $60k and is supposed to be good.

The makers of that also did Stake Land.  Don't know the budget, but probably under a million and quite a solid film.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:57:56 PM »

CARNIVAL OF SOULS is GOOD and LOW BUDGET. One of my favorite films.   Great. 

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »

Pink Flamingos was made on a budget of just $10,000.

voltron

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »

S.F. Brownrigg did two great low budget creepies: Don't Look In The Basement and Don't Open the Door. His other film Keep My Grave Open sucked, though. SOV movies can be fun if you're in the right frame of mind (read:drunk or high) - i.e.: Blood Cult, Revenge, Hollywood's New Blood, Blood lake. And who wouldn't pay to see Tom Savini make an ass of himself in The Ripper? Really, any sane person should steer clear of most SOV stuff. Onto better movies.....Truth Or Dare: A Critical Madness is totally nuts and I LOVE IT TO DEATH! (Cheers to RC). Rituals is brilliant but I'm not quite sure about the budget being low. Maybe I'll come up with some more when I get my head together.....

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Good low budget movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.