Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:40:23 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Asylum Did It Again!!!! ABRAHAM LINCOLN VS. ZOMBIES (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Asylum Did It Again!!!! ABRAHAM LINCOLN VS. ZOMBIES (2012)  (Read 7734 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: May 29, 2012, 10:57:28 PM »

Everyone knows that ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER is due out in theaters shortly.  And I think everyone agrees that it is going to be a big budget, gruesome, and fun adaptation of a charming little historical spoof novel that was published last year.  At least, that is the general expectation.

Everyone also knows that The Asylum has, for fifteen years, specialized in ripping off big screen movies with cheaply done knockoffs that hit the video store shelves about the same time that the real movie hits the big screen.  And the general consensus is that Asylum films collectively suck.

Guess what?  This one DIDN'T!  Honestly, this film had NO right to be as thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable as it actually was.  Well acted, with great special effects and solid casting, this may well be the best film The Asylum has ever made.

Oops!  I hit "Post" before I was done!

The movie begins with a young Abraham Lincoln watching in anguish as his zombie infected mother, chained to her bed, screeches and claws at him and his father.  The elder Lincoln simply can't make himself do it, so nine year old Abe grabs a sickle and tells his mother how he loves her one last time before taking her head. 
   Fast forward in time about 45 years.  President Lincoln is reflecting on his upcoming Gettysburg Address when Secretary of War Stanton informs him that a secret raid to capture a Confederate fort in Georgia has failed - because most of the team were eaten by cannibalistic, undead locals!  Then the team's sole survivor succumbs to the infection, breaks his bonds, and kills two Union soldiers before Lincoln whips out his handy scythe and decapitates him with a single, well placed  swing.  Now it is up to Licoln to lead a team of agents from the newly formed Secret Service deep into the South to end the zombie outbreak and save the Union, and the Confederacy alike, from a horrible undead fate!

Joined by his old flame Mary Owens, Confederate General Stonewall Jackson, a young Confederate soldier named Pat Garrett, and a feisty nine-year old Teddy Roosevelt, Lincoln and his team of Secret Servicemen must race against time to contain the zombie infection and avoid being bitten!  Yes, it sounds extremely cheesy.  Yes, it contains enough historical errors to fill a book.  But the performances were great, the storyline engaging, and above all, Bill OBerst Jr makes for a very believable and likable Abraham Lincoln!  And the ending is . . . well, I don't want to give it away, but you don't want to miss it. 

I know that all the buzz is about VAMPIRE HUNTER, but you need to check this one out too.  It's more than just a quick cheap spoof - it's a fun and entertaining ride down Undead Lane, with a stop at the History Department!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:06:41 PM by indianasmith » Logged

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:52:18 AM »

I don't know, I didn't see any babes in tight tank tops in the trailer, which is the main (and perhaps only) reason I watch Asylum films   TeddyR 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »

Sounds like a hoot. Who knows, this flick and the "legit" Lincoln film could kick off a whole new genre - "Lincolnsploitation!"

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »

Now I'm sorry I didn't answer that ad for 'Zombie extras' they ran here a few months ago.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »

There must now be a movie about George Washington fighting the British army steampunk giant robot.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »

This flick is in the RedBox machine around the corner from my house. I saw it there today when I ran into Walgreens' to pickup a prescription. I was soooo tempted to rent it but I knew I wouldn't have time to watch it tonight. But soon... it shall be mine. Oh yes, it shall.

SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:04:11 AM »

Zombies are like the H2O of the movie periodic table of elements, they act as a solvant for any bad idea. Squeeze a lemon, :-* bitter! Add water and there's your lemonade. Squeeze Lincoln and they chase you down to a farmstead where you get shot and ruin a doctor's good name. Add zombies and hey, it's suddenly not that bad.

The Asylum hath bred an assassination joke. I had another but I didn't think we could handle Booth of them.Drink

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »

Guess what?  This one DIDN'T!  Honestly, this film had NO right to be as thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable as it actually was.  Well acted, with great special effects and solid casting, this may well be the best film The Asylum has ever made.

I remember it differently, and I only saw it a couple of nights ago.

Yes, it sounds extremely cheesy.

It is.

Yes, it contains enough historical errors to fill a book.

And how!

But the performances were great, the storyline engaging, and above all, Bill OBerst Jr makes for a very believable and likable Abraham Lincoln!

The performances were mostly wooden, with the notable exception of the portrayal of Lincoln. The actresses are especially bad, including the one playing Mary Owens.

And the ending is . . . well, I don't want to give it away, but you don't want to miss it.

No details, but the story ends with an act of spectacular stupidity.

This is typical Asylum dreck, not some surprising burst of quality.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »

But wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the SAME films?

I'm actually thinking about renting this one a second time to see if it holds up for another viewing.  I think it will.

But then, I am easily entertained. TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »

I have this in my Netflix queue.  It will be next to be watched.

They should have Abe Lincoln the Zombie killer and Abe Lincoln the Vampire killer meet up.  That would be an battle to behold!!!   BounceGiggle

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »

I saw this a few months back... didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. Like Indianasmith sez, I'm easily entertained/amused.

Wrote a blog entry about it:
http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/It-Came-From-the-Bargain-Bin-ABRAHAM-LINCOLN-VS-ZOMBIES-2012

As Asylum films go it's not their worst (that honor would go to AVH: Alien Vs. Hunter), which should count for something.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »

Nice review of a fun movie, Freddy! thanks for posting the link!

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:45:51 PM »

Cool, man. Glad you enjoyed.  Thumbup

Hammock Rider

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 12:03:48 PM »

"a feisty nine-year old Teddy Roosevelt"...

God bless you Asylum! And thanks for the heads up Indy.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 09:55:04 PM »

This movie came up in the "Reading Anything?" thread today, so I thought I would bump my old review of it.

I'd really like to give this one another watch if I can find it at Hastings.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Asylum Did It Again!!!! ABRAHAM LINCOLN VS. ZOMBIES (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.