Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:29:16 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Prometheus (spoilers!) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Prometheus (spoilers!)  (Read 16012 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 05:16:17 AM »

Maybe they didn't want to call the surgery an abortion and used that lame plot point to say 'it was a surgery'.

In any case, I'm putting serious thought into making a parody of Gotye's 'Somebody I used to know' but making it about 'a franchise that I used to know.'

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Vik
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 06:41:47 AM »

It's been a week since I saw it and I still think about it least every half hour. I loved it, one of the most interesting movies I've seen in a long time. It's got some flaws, but all in all I thought it was really great. It's just fascinating to think about and interpret different elements from the story.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »

http://failblog.org/2012/06/15/mobile-phone-texting-autocorrect-autocowrecks-a-conversation-with-the-engineers-doesnt-help-prometheus-make-any-sense-warning-spoilers/#comments
Venomx73
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »

I still don't understand why that classic looking Xenomorph was on the ceiling/mural though...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:39:06 AM by Venomx73 » Logged
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 02:05:32 AM »

Such a waste of time. Another example of a franchise getting top heavy: it started out as a gritty and compact monster movie, with a handful of characters in an enclosed space, and now it has to have The Answer To Life, The Universe And Everything, with spectacular vistas, and spaceships crashing into eachother and whatnot.
It is also one of the most absurd plot driven movies I've ever seen in a regular theatre. Characters do the most idiotic things, simply to help the plot along. To quote Timur Bekmambetov: when the characters are inferior to you, it becomes comedy, when they are superior to you, it is heroic. And here the characters are of a very inferior intelligence. To give just one example: a geologist who can't find his way out of a cave system? With a comlink to a ship which has a 3D map with position indication in real time????
To think that At the Mountains of Madness was cancelled because of this.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 07:26:19 PM »

It's been a week since I saw it and I still think about it least every half hour. I loved it, one of the most interesting movies I've seen in a long time. It's got some flaws, but all in all I thought it was really great. It's just fascinating to think about and interpret different elements from the story
I just saw this and generally agree with you. People are largely unable to deal with ambiguity and want simple answers to non questions (see superhero movies, jonah hill being in every movie, etc...). The questions of this movie are essentially the mystery of creation and meaning of human life. That people are so shocked that a film doesn't have simple answers for those is ludicrous and shows their inability to deal with any facets of the philosophical questions presented in this film. But don't worry internet there will be a new avengers film for you to collectively jack off to in the near future.

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »

It's been a week since I saw it and I still think about it least every half hour. I loved it, one of the most interesting movies I've seen in a long time. It's got some flaws, but all in all I thought it was really great. It's just fascinating to think about and interpret different elements from the story
I just saw this and generally agree with you. People are largely unable to deal with ambiguity and want simple answers to non questions (see superhero movies, jonah hill being in every movie, etc...). The questions of this movie are essentially the mystery of creation and meaning of human life. That people are so shocked that a film doesn't have simple answers for those is ludicrous and shows their inability to deal with any facets of the philosophical questions presented in this film. But don't worry internet there will be a new avengers film for you to collectively jack off to in the near future.

I would have no objection, no objection at all to Prometheus, if it weren't suckily written.

But it is completely suckily written, so I really can't compare it to the Avengers.   Ridley Scott can do so very, very much better than this, and most of us know it.  It's okay for a movie to have big questions with no answers... but a movie doesn't gain cred for being Profound And All That for just asking big questions with a crappy script.

I was entertained, at times, by Prometheus -- but as Akira put it (paraphrased) the story was crap.

And the people on this board definitely, definitely know crap when they see it.   Cheers

Fulci, I'd also add this:  kindly watch your tone.  People here don't maliciously criticize what others like by saying that they "jack off" to it.  Friendly criticism is really common.  But deriding someone else for enjoying some totally obnoxious movie?  Not the point of "here" at all.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:43:58 PM by Zapranoth » Logged
Dr. Whom

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »

And the people on this board definitely, definitely know crap when they see it.   Cheers

Exactly. Prometheus is sloppy scriptwriting on a truly massive scale for someone like Ridley Scott.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Venomx73
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »

Just a thought...

The Engineers have a mural about the Xenomorph. I often wonder why...

I think the Engineers worship the Xenomorph... it may be God to them. ???
Dr. Whom

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 12:22:31 AM »

Just a thought...

The Engineers have a mural about the Xenomorph. I often wonder why...

I think the Engineers worship the Xenomorph... it may be God to them. ???

That had occurred to me too.

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 12:21:49 AM »

Y'all are putting meaning into a crap script...   Lookingup
It is tempting, I know...
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 06:59:59 AM »

Overall I liked it.  I felt the final scene was not needed and served only to beat the audience over the head with a single idea.  I do not like it when filmmakers think me to be ignorant.

The beginning was good, the middle was superb and was the best thing to come out of the Alien universe other than Alien, but the ending really fell apart.  It's one that I'll end up owning when it hits video, but it's not my favorite, by far.

SPOILERS:

Also did anyone notice this about David's role in the film?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 05:55:45 AM »

It seems that one either loves or hates Prometheus. Each side makes completely valid points and because of this, a generalized opinion isn't possible. At least I haven't heard anyone say, "Meh, it was okay".

I am in the love it category. I actually appreciate all the mystery left over. Whether it was because of a crap script or done intentionally, I'm not sure. To me it leaves you as clueless as everyone in the movie, of course leaving it open for a sequel; which could only mean they're gonna delve deeper anyway.

It also helps if you just completely disregard it supposedly being a direct sequel to alien.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:38:39 AM by Assisted Living Dracula » Logged
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »

Best summary I've read: "It was an attempt to revisit Alien via 2001 but ended up a revisit of Alien via Lost in Space"

There are two screen writers. Compare their work and tell me one is not obviously responsible for the amazing buildup, the other for the devastating letdown.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Prometheus (spoilers!) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.