Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:38:17 AM
713408 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation  (Read 12132 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »

SNL produced many stars. Chase among them.

I wish SNL would apologize. Chase, I never found particularly funny outside of Christmas Vacation and Vegas Vacation.

What's the appeal of the first? Not sure. I was too young when it came out...just seems to be a satire of a typical American vacation.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Venomx73
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 10:23:56 PM »

Clark: "Excuse me, could you please tell me how to get back on the express way?" Twirling
claws
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 03:56:08 AM »

Though he was good at playing dumb, but I never got the overall appeal of Chevy Chase. That said, I still enjoy most of his 80's movie. To me he was at his funniest in ¡Three Amigos! (1986), and I have a huge soft spot for Funny Farm (1988).
I couldn't get into the Fletch movies and he was rather forgettable in Deal of the Century (1983).
I'm in the minority here but Christmas Vacation is my least favorite Vacation movie.
Whenever I watch Vacation it brings back great, nostalgic memories because we used to do the exact same thing (except my dad isn't as selfish and dumb).
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 04:05:35 AM »

I'm a huge Chevy Chase fan and still love all the vacation movie particularly European.

I still think he is really funny in the Community series. I think his character is hilarious.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 04:41:53 AM »

I'm not really a fan of Chevy Chase, but the appeal of the National Lampoon Vacation series is that Chase lampoons a very specific brand of middle-American a***ole. The stereotypical "ugly American."

I don't know how well it translates to other countries, but Chase's character is pretty instantly recognizable to anybody in this country. Funny? Depends on your viewpoint.

I will say, in deference to European Vacation, that I think the word "pork" as a verb should come back into common parlance.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Conf
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »

Today I've watched John Landis' Three Amigos (after more than 20yrs) and unfortunately it's another bland comedy with no stand-out moments for Chevy (Steve Martin always steals the scene). It's not a bad movie, but it lacks punch.
mrsskinner
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 05:24:39 PM »

Conf, did your family ever take long car trips? Mine did and while we didnt  drive off the road or anything my dad did lock his keys in the car with the engine running. Thats what makes it funny to me -my mom taking bad video shaking the camera back and forth and things like that. Also every family has a "Cousin Eddie" who we like to think we're better than-kind of like Chevy Chase's character but really we're not. My personal favorite is Christmas Vacation Ive had holidays like that myself-last Christmas I actually dropped the turkey, stuffing dinner rolls and a plate of cookies on the floor and after we wrestled it from the dogs it was delicious. I dont think its just an American thing because really we're more alike than we are different in the world.
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »

Like many of the ppl in this thread i have never found chevy funny. Christmas vacation is ok but the original is completely devoid of humour imo. I think of all genres comedy ages the worst tho which could be a factor. Honestly i dont really find caddyshack that funny either, but this could also be a generation issue (i am in my early 20's).
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 01:34:44 AM »

I enjoy the first three Vacation films, but Chevy Chase as a whole... not so much.  I find that he essentially plays the same character in every movie, and that his shtick gets old incredibly fast in some movies.  Case in point, Nothing But Trouble. 

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »

It could be a generational thing indeed as personally I do find Chase funnier than a lot of modern day popular stuff like "Family Guy", "South Park" and some Adam Sandler films (although I guess he hasn't really had a popular film in a while either).

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »

Nothing But Trouble is likely Chase's best work outside of Caddyshack.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.