Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:06:29 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  whats wrong with society? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: whats wrong with society?  (Read 5662 times)
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 05:41:29 PM »

lack of personal responsibility is a major problem these days. yeah, bad things have always been happening, were constantly reminded that the end is near and blah blah blah, but  i really do think that people are acting more hostile and self absorbed than ever. there are so many things that are affecting us physically and mentally.  convenience is a big one too, instant gratification. its definitely made us lazy and unappreciative. nobody even likes to really think about anything, they like to be told what to think.  i also think that we are being manipulated more than ever because of this. just look at politics, its just a stupid mess. i really dont see much difference between any political party or candidate, but we go right along with it, taking sides. if you talk negatively about any politicion, somebodies going to get p**sed! i wonder about conspiricies sometimes. were easy to control because were so busy being distracted by crap that really doesnt matter. sorry, went off on a rant. atleast i didnt quote anything from fight club. caffiene.

exterminate all rational thought.....
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 01:52:43 AM »

I honestly don't think humanity has ever been great to begin with.  I think in some cases we think back to our youth, and we believe things were better then.  That's mostly because we hadn't developed a sense of world view or politics or a perception outside of playtime or school, and therefore didn't notice the evils around us.  As we came to understand that human nature, as everyone has put it, is pretty much screwed up, we began to think that the world was degenerating.  The simple truth is it was never great to begin with.  It's just that we finally took off those rosy glasses.

I remember reading that this quote was taken from an Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BC:

“Our earth is degenerate in these latter days; there are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; every man wants to write a book and the end of the world is evidently approaching.”

If this truly was written on an Assyrian tablet, then the process of becoming aware of the world's ills is just another part of human nature and culture. 

The way I see it, the more we take off those glasses, the more we're given an opportunity.  Do we do something to alleviate the problems and evils that we see, or do we just give up because it's bigger than we are?  Most people, understandably, pick the latter.  There have been some, though, who have risen up and taken the former.  And thank goodness for them.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »

Well, let me interject a slightly different opinion here. You always hear this argument that something has gone wrong with society, and it's predicated on the belief that things used to be better.

It's not true.

Human nature is just that, human nature, and it has always had its nasty side. For example, the '50s are always presented as the last wholesome period of American history. At least that's the way it's presented on television, but then you'd have to ignore the rampant racism and misogyny that was present during that era.

Things have always been bad, and they will always be bad. My advice, become a decent person. You're the front line in the battle for a better society. You will always be the front line for a better society. A better world starts and ends with you.

I completely agree.  I get tired of the whole "things were better in X" sort of arguments.  I mean, I've made them myself, and I'm only 28.  It's a little silly sometimes.  But hey, let's look at it statistically.  Crime is a hell of a lot lower in the US of A now than 25 years ago.  Teen pregnancy is waaaaay down.  Drug use, on the whole, is also down.  Life expectancy is up.  Today I can research and learn about almost anything from any computer.

Yeah, there's bad things too, like we're working more and arguably less happy.  But, just keep some perspective.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 12:46:51 AM »

A lady born under a curse
Used to drive forth each day in a hearse;
From the back she would wail
Through a thickness of veil:
"Things do not get better, but worse."
--Edward Gorey

(I kinda think Gorey's lady was onto something there.)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 02:59:57 AM »

"Yesterday upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
Oh how I wish he'd go away."

We must beware of men who aren't there.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »

Yeh!  And how old is that?  50 years ago?  If one looks at early 1930s FRANK CAPRA movies, you see his characters often encountering indifference, greed, corruption, cynicism... I think human beings have always been capable of wonderful consideration, and abject cruelty and selfishness.  It's our nature.  I think we live in a time where regular instances of such low behaviors are just easier to find or witness.  We all slip.  We all fall.  Yet, it is each individual's responsibility to rise up, take the high road, and care. 

Agree so much with this. We've always been the same. Its just the bad is a lot easier to see.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 07:02:11 PM »

In days of old when knights were bold and toilets weren't invented...
Y' left yer load on the side of the road and walked away... contented. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 10:02:17 PM »

What's wrong with society?

Original sin.

'nuff said.  :)
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:30 AM »

A vast number have gone from self-reliance and independence to a herd of lemmings keeping pace with the slowest buffalo hiding behind a screen in a world that does not exist.

Cthulhu

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »

Original sin.

'nuff said.  :)
Seriously? Come on.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »

I'd shorten it down and just say . . . sin.
Selfishness.  Putting your own desire above all else.
It is the root of all evil.

And Cheeze - GOOD TO SEE YOU POSTING!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  whats wrong with society? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.