Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:48:18 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation  (Read 12127 times)
Conf
Dedicated Viewer

« on: June 12, 2012, 07:06:58 AM »

When I was a kid, I liked Chevy Chase for movies like 'Spies like us' or 'Fletch' (or so I remember). Not being american, I didn't know he was a star in the US, nor I knew about SNL or the Griswold movies, that appeared in italian theatres just for a few days some years later. He was just a funny face doing funny expressions. Anyway, last night I stumbled upon the first Vacation on tv and I couldn't stop asking myself what was so funny about Chevy Chase and why that movie is regarded as one of the funniest 80s comedies. It raised just a few smiles on my face, never a full laugh. Please explain to a poor european. Thank you.
Venomx73
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:18:19 AM »

Hello. For me, I just love this movie for it's nostalgia.

If you watched it in the early 80's like I did, I'm sure it would be in your top 50 nostalgia flicks list too. Smile

Russ: "Hey you got Pacman?"
Dale: "No."
Russ: "Uh, you got Space Invaders?"
Dale: "Nope."
Russ: "You got Asteroids?"
Dale: "No but my Dad does. Can't even sit on the toilet some days!"
Conf
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:07:16 AM »

Actually, nostalgia can be a bum. When I watched movies like Re-Animator or Return of the Living Dead in recent times, having loved them as a kid, I was slightly disappointed, as I remembered them better than they were.
Back to Chevy Chase, not having seen any SNL sketches, was he famous for a particular gag or catchphrase or just for his "rubber face" ?
Oh, I just remembered that we had two kind-of-ripoff of 'Vacation' in Italy about italians goin' coast to coast in the US, both entertaining and funny (provided you're italian, of course). Bo Derek starred in one ('Sognando la California - California Dreamin').

Small | Large
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:09:34 AM »

National Lampoon's Vacation is one of those movies where you just had to "be there" I guess. I loved it as a kid, but I'll admit that now, almost 30 years later, it has its moments but overall it hasn't aged particularly well.

I actually prefer the "Christmas Vacation" sequel over the original these days. Still catch that one at least once every Holiday season.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Venomx73
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:13:12 AM »

When I was a kid, I liked Chevy Chase for movies like 'Spies like us' or 'Fletch' (or so I remember). Not being american, I didn't know he was a star in the US, nor I knew about SNL or the Griswold movies, that appeared in italian theatres just for a few days some years later. He was just a funny face doing funny expressions. Anyway, last night I stumbled upon the first Vacation on tv and I couldn't stop asking myself what was so funny about Chevy Chase and why that movie is regarded as one of the funniest 80s comedies. It raised just a few smiles on my face, never a full laugh. Please explain to a poor european. Thank you.

Btw. Do you know about National Lampoon's European Vacation?
it's funny. but... Imo it misses something.
It's my least favorite... Christmas Vacation takes 2nd place.
Conf
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:15:53 AM »

yes, it came out as "Guarda un po' sti americani!" ("Look at those Americans!") but I have never seen them. I remember a review on a magazine that despised the movie for its abuse of stereotypes about europeans (french=dirty people, italians=latin lovers/mafia and so on).
Venomx73
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:18:14 AM »

LOL. Very good. Wink

"Look at those Americans!" Yup. Thats 'National Lampoon's European Vacation' in a nutshell.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »

I guess it pokes fun at the average, middle-class American family.  So, maybe some of the humor doesn't translate well if you've never been part of such a family.   

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Conf
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:36:59 AM »

I don't know if it's just that...I grew with every kind of sitcom (from Happy Days to Archibald to the Jeffersons to The Nanny...), so I guess I should know how life is like in a US family (of course in a fictionalized way). Some were very funny, some were not. Then again, maybe it's just me not "gettin'" Chevy (though I liked him in 'Spies like us'...he was perfect as the slacker spy).
akiratubo

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »

Vacation is a movie that has not aged well.  It was very fresh when it came out and deserved to be such a hit.  However, by now so many other movies have ripped it off so many times that someone watching it for the first time today probably won't get anything out of it.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:02:31 AM »

I've never found Chevy Chase funny. I really wanted to like the vacation films, but they just kind of washed over me. Not terrible, but I just didn't laugh.

Hammock Rider

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »

I saw it in the theater when it first came out and it was hilarious. This was only a few years after SNL & Animal House pushed the envelope in some areas so that kind of irreverent humor was still pretty new. And it did a good job of exagerating the cross country trek that was a pretty common vacation style back then.

Nowadays it gives me a double shot of nostalgia. It reminds me of both the vacations I took as a kid and the movie going summers of my youth.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »

I hated VACATION when it came out. I probably would like it better now as I'm much more tolerant as an older person. That said, Chevy Chase is not particularly funny, and looking back I'm not sure anyone can say why he was so popular in the 80s.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »

I've seen all of the "Vacation" films (yes, even the godawful, grasping-at-straws "Vegas Vacation"). I found "European" particularly funny when I first saw it cuz I had just spent a month in Germany as an exchange student. But like the original, looking at it now it hasn't held up particularly well.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:59:24 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »

I actually do enjoy these old 80s Chevy Chase films but yeah in the Vacation films, he's a selfish jerk a lot of the time. What I find funny about the Vacation series is he's pretty much your stereotypical dumb American tourist amped up to slightly ridiculous extremes.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Chevy Chase and National Lampoon's Vacation « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.