Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:05:30 AM
712939 Posts in 53041 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Carrie Remake....Why Do They Bother? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Carrie Remake....Why Do They Bother?  (Read 7774 times)
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 12:25:56 PM »

I saw the original and thought it was pretty average.  So I don't mind the remake.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 06:10:42 AM »

Remakes are ok if it's done entirely different.
DRACULA (1931) and FRANKENSTEIN (1931) had both been done as silent films,and even Chaneys HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1923) had been made in 1905,1911,and 1917.

Small | Large

And the 1939 version,I thought,was the best.

Christopher Lee's DRACULA was good,and Carpenter's the THING was excellant.

But of course you get lotsa crap-such as the PSYCHO,the DAY the EARTH STOOD STILL,INVADERS FROM MARS,GODZILLA.....

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »

Remakes are ok if it's done entirely different.
DRACULA (1931) and FRANKENSTEIN (1931) had both been done as silent films,and even Chaneys HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1923) had been made in 1905,1911,and 1917.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOclcQDRSUo&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL3463C3E16CB7E4B5 And the 1939 version,I thought,was the best.
Christopher Lee's DRACULA was good,and Carpenter's the THING was excellant.
But of course you get lotsa crap-such as the PSYCHO,the DAY the EARTH STOOD STILL,INVADERS FROM MARS,GODZILLA.....

I agree with everything you said (er, stammered...) except I thought the INVADERS FROM MARS remake was pretty good... but I haven't seen it in a long time. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »

Yeah I thought the Invaders From Mars remake was half-decent too. Yeah half-decent that's what I think of it. The original remains far superior. Technically Godzilla has been remade several times - 1984, 2000 aside from the 1998 Americanized Zilla version. Carrie was technically remade already in its sequel which is pretty bad. I have my doubts about this remake but you never know. Still I'd be very surprised if it measures up to De Palma.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »

I just don't get it! Don't people in Hollywood have any imagination anymore? Lookingup

They have as much imagination as they ever did, it's just that you can't bank imagination. People will pay money to see remakes of stuff they're already familiar with instead of taking a chance on something new. If people stopped buying tickets to remakes Hollywood would stop making them.

The other side of this same coin is the reaction film makers get when someone DOES do something original.  It's rarely successful and often hated, derided and ridiculed.

So, I'd go so far as to say it's not enough for people to stop buying tickets to crappy, unimaginative movies, but we have the added criterion of people need to start buying tickets to riskier movies by unknown film makers and small/independent studios.

That is, of course, only if people really want imaginative, original movies.  I doubt this to be true.  Art is weird this way - look also at music.  What sells is what sounds or looks like everything else.  Once in a while something comes along that is truly different that catches on, but it's soon copied and the same-soup continues just with different ingredients.

I LIKE watching independent films that were artistic risks.  That means I watch a few that don't work for me.  Generally, I don't complain about those; I can still admire what the makers were trying to do as it's own merit.  But, I've observed over the years that "the masses" are not like this at all, not one single bit.

They want, and pay for, same-same.  Day in and day out.  Pop music, pop movies, tv, books, photographic art, etc.  "Same" sells, or at least "same to the current fad" sells.

Bringing it back to remakes in particular, if it's a new, creative, imaginative adaptation it's fine with me.  If it is the same movie as 20 others currently on the rental shop shelves but with a recognizable name, I've got no use for it at all.

I vote with my dollars, which also means 'rewarding' the little guys when I can, even if for technical reasons their movies are not as "good."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »

I tell you what, I rented this last night and watched it and was pleasantly surprised by just how good it was!
Julianne Moore chews up the landscape as Carrie's twisted, psychotic mother, and Chloe Grace Moretz, better know as Hit Girl in the KICK ASS franchise, is perfectly cast as the lonely, lovely young outcast with a gift for moving things with her mind.
The plot was believable, the characters well fleshed out, and the effects amazing!
I think the haters will be amazed at how faithful to the original it is, and yet how original it is at the same time.  HIGHLY recommended!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »

I tell you what, I rented this last night and watched it and was pleasantly surprised by just how good it was!
Julianne Moore chews up the landscape as Carrie's twisted, psychotic mother, and Chloe Grace Moretz, better know as Hit Girl in the KICK ASS franchise, is perfectly cast as the lonely, lovely young outcast with a gift for moving things with her mind.
The plot was believable, the characters well fleshed out, and the effects amazing!
I think the haters will be amazed at how faithful to the original it is, and yet how original it is at the same time.  HIGHLY recommended!

I'm a big fan of the Hit Girl character, which made the Kick-Ass (2010) movie the awesome film that it was, because she actually made Nicolas Cage look good as her dad in the movie because you could see the bond between the two. Well, that and how she slaughtered all the bad guys in the movie! I might give this one a shot.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »

She is even more BA in Kick Ass 2!!!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Carrie Remake....Why Do They Bother? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.