Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:15:05 PM
713360 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012)  (Read 8895 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« on: June 22, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »

So I saw this today, it's....alright, kept my expectations low (AS YOU SHOULD!!!!) and was fairly enjoyed. I'm not posting spoilers, but I will say this- The people who made this used way toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much slo-mo, and I mean Way Toooooooooooooooooo much slo-mo. It's fine for a few times, but it was over done, not like Sherlock 2 did though.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:40:39 PM by El Misfit » Logged

yeah no.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »

I just got back from this one, and I thought it ROCKED!!!!!
There were a few minor historical inaccuracies, but overall I thought it to be a compelling and sympathetic portrayal of our sixteenth President.  The casting was excellent, too.  It did depart significantly from the book, but the deviations were basically in the interest of making a more compelling action film - the book is a good deal less fast-paced.  And I will say the ending is considerably different than the one in the book - but still pretty doggone good!!!
Definitely worth seeing on the big screen.  And, Mrs. Indy, who does not always share my taste in movies (I have yet to convince her of the virtues of SUCKER PUNCH), also thoroughly enjoyed it.  This is a top notch film, folks!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Venomx73
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 11:48:30 PM »

Small | Large

For El Misfit
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 03:22:25 AM »

There were a few minor historical inaccuracies

Is Wyrewizard hacking accounts now?   Twirling

I still think it looks fun, but I'm not holding out hope for a genius plot or anything.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »

There were a few minor historical inaccuracies, but overall I thought it to be a compelling and sympathetic portrayal of our sixteenth President.  The casting was excellent, too.  It did depart significantly from the book, but the deviations were basically in the interest of making a more compelling action film - the book is a good deal less fast-paced.  And I will say the ending is considerably different than the one in the book - but still pretty doggone good!!!
Definitely worth seeing on the big screen.  And, Mrs. Indy, who does not always share my taste in movies (I have yet to convince her of the virtues of SUCKER PUNCH), also thoroughly enjoyed it.  This is a top notch film, folks!

"Minor historical inaccuracies".....? Gotta luv ya, Indy! TeddyR

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »

I thought it was fun. ****Possible Spoiler***The idea of Jefferson Davis cozying up to the vamps in return for vampire shock troops was pretty wild, I thought.

Overall I came away satisifed. I give it 4 score and 7 thumbs up.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:12:42 PM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 04:30:07 AM »

There were a few minor historical inaccuracies, but overall I thought it to be a compelling and sympathetic portrayal of our sixteenth President.  The casting was excellent, too.  It did depart significantly from the book, but the deviations were basically in the interest of making a more compelling action film - the book is a good deal less fast-paced.  And I will say the ending is considerably different than the one in the book - but still pretty doggone good!!!
Definitely worth seeing on the big screen.  And, Mrs. Indy, who does not always share my taste in movies (I have yet to convince her of the virtues of SUCKER PUNCH), also thoroughly enjoyed it.  This is a top notch film, folks!

Hey Indy, just curious if you've heard any students making reference to Lincoln genuinely being a vampire hunter?  My brother-in-law is a high school librarian, and there are kids now who really believe this.  

I don't know what to make of that.   Drink seems appropriate.

That said, I saw this film at a drive-in.  That seemed appropriate, and it was my first time at one.  Double feature with Prometheus.  Enjoyed it.  Not a lot to add other than that.  I did appreciate how seriously it took itself - the only way to approach the subject matter, I think.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »

Tongue in cheek references, yes.
Actually believing the movie's premise? No.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
EstherBlodgett
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »

I have yet to see this movie, but I intend to as soon as I can.
I'm serious about historical accuracy, for the most part, but I
can suspend this if a movie is really good. Look at The Untouchables
with Robert DeNiro and Kevin Kosner. It is full of wrong info, but
come on...it was WAY cool !
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 12:50:20 PM »

I have yet to see this movie, but I intend to as soon as I can.
I'm serious about historical accuracy, for the most part, but I
can suspend this if a movie is really good. Look at The Untouchables
with Robert DeNiro and Kevin Kosner. It is full of wrong info, but
come on...it was WAY cool !

I enjoyed it...

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »

Surprised that this one is getting some praise here: I see it as a mediocre action picture with a gimmick that never really clicks. Historically, I can accept that Abraham Lincoln fought vampires in his youth, but I can't accept Mary Todd as a hottie. 2/5 stars.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »

Okay! I finally saw it on the 4th of July.

We sometimes complain about how much the people in Hollywood get paid, but there is a reason they get paid so much, and one of the reasons is "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter." But first . . .

It was a good idea for a film. No. It was a great idea for a film.

And it was a good looking film. One can certainly see how they spent the $69 estimated budget.

And as long as Abe was vampire slaying, any problems in the film were papered over by the action, but once he got away from vampire slaying, the film needed . . .

better actors
a better editor
a better writer. Some of the dialogue was really clunky.
and especially a better director.

That was the first half of the film. The second half of the film . . .

"Now it gets personal."

Whether the second half came across as being a more intimate film or whether the film was shot chronologically, so everyone could grow into their role or whether the second half had seemingly more action or all above or none of the above, I did like the second half much better than the first half.

Overall, while at the beginning I came out diliking the film, but by the second half, I came out liking the film, and thus I enjoyed it overall.

One wonders how it'll play overseas, as the foreign boxoffice becomes more and more important to American films. Almost half of American films now earn more money overseas, then they earn at home. The domestic boxoffice becomes less and less important. Already there are American TV producers who run an idea for a TV show past their foreign counterparts to see how it'll play overseas, and then adapt the idea to make it more acceptable to foreign audiences.

I did see the film in 2D, but it is one of the few films that may actually look better in 3D.

And before the film, I did see the trailers for the upcoming "Sinister" and "Django Unchained," which opens at Christmas time, which is prime time film release time. I wonder how those two films will play with audiences and critics, as at this time I have no interest in seeing neither one.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »

My daughter has been dying to see this, so we went and watched it last night - second viewing for me.  Excellent film!

Archivist

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »

Grrr, you guys have been making me jealous.  It still hasn't been released in Australia yet.  Buggedout

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 06:53:50 AM »

I read the book when it came out last year, and I was pretty much blown away by it.  The history contained within the book was fantastic.  Grahame-Smith basically wrote a biopic of Lincoln and just happened to throw in some vampire slaying.  It was one of the most enjoyable reads I had last year. 

I have stayed away from the film due to the fact that it looks far removed from the book.  I know that Grahame-Smith wrote the screenplay but it just doesn't look anything like the source material.  None of the scenes shown in the previews/trailers matched the book.  I have heard that the film is decent though.

Timur Bekmambetov is hit or miss for me.  His love of slo-mo can grate on my nerves like few other directors.  I'll wait til it hits video.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.