Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:36 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Nessie > Evolution? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nessie > Evolution?  (Read 13605 times)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 27, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »

Oh, my.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:33:22 PM »

If you're a six-day Creationist (as I am), and believe in the world-wide flood spoken of in the Scriptures (as I do), then this makes sense.

Google Ken Ham, and his work.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/outreach/speakers/ken-ham/bio/

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »

I am an old earth creationist.  I do believe that "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth," but the Bible never says specifically when the beginning was.  I have dug a lot of fossils and artifacts and am firmly convinced from my personal excavations that  the earth is WAY older than 6,000 years.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »

Teaching stuff liek this does a disservice to the kids I think. i'm all for religious freedom and so forth, but how are you going to get a job in the sciences when you study Nessie?
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:19 AM »

I spent most of my youth reading every book I could find on Nessie and other cryptids, and it is still a subject of great interest for me.  But while I do believe large unknown creatures may reside in some out of the way corners of the earth, I have concluded that there is nothing in Loch Ness and most likely, never was.  A shame really.  I WANTED Nessie to be real SO BAD!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 02:21:32 AM »

Steve Alten also makes a good case against Nessy in The Loch.  Well, at least the idea of Nessy being a plesiosaur.  One thing he mentioned is that the lake is too cold to sustain a large reptile. 

I also think cryptozoology is neat, but not something I would go for a career in or throw money at.  I think many cases of cryptids are either mistaken identity--because let's face it, most of the people who spotted these animals were not professional biologists--or rare instances of mutations.  The sad thing is tracking down a rare mutation is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 04:18:34 AM »

I don't believe this article in any of it's claims. It's garbage designed to incite anger.

Are there really schools promoting the Loch Ness Monster as an antithesis to "evolution"? I haven't done the actual research, but I'm pretty sure there aren't. That being said, this article seems to me as "stupid Christians" propaganda.

Do not get me wrong, I am all for the leagues and leagues of evidence that proves speciation by evolution. It isn't a matter of trying to prove Christian's wrong, it's science, which is, and should be, endlessly debated.

This strikes me as an assault on Christian beliefs, just to be ornery.

That being said, I think the Christian belief of intelligent design is wrong. Fundamentally so. But I am not a fan of this shortcut bulls**t.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »

Steve Alten also makes a good case against Nessy in The Loch.  Well, at least the idea of Nessy being a plesiosaur.  One thing he mentioned is that the lake is too cold to sustain a large reptile. 

I also think cryptozoology is neat, but not something I would go for a career in or throw money at.  I think many cases of cryptids are either mistaken identity--because let's face it, most of the people who spotted these animals were not professional biologists--or rare instances of mutations.  The sad thing is tracking down a rare mutation is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I am also a creationist and that's what I've thought for a long time....that Nessie was real and is a Plesiosaur. I saw no reason why they couldn't have survived the Great Flood. It is also possible that they could have easily adapted....not evolved... to different climates. As we can't capture Nessie is isn't possible to do the necessary physical tests. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my humble opinion. Smile

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »

I can tell you that, in New Orleans, this is bogus. Besides, it's actually summer time here in Louisiana. Also, this seems to be suspicious:
publicly-funded vouchers for the next school year to attend private schools
Yeah, that's not happening. If they knew anything about the private schools in Louisiana, they would see that it's actually for the extremely wealthy brat kids around my area. The smart kids would go to Franklin, which, in 2009, was voted 26 out of 100 of the BEST SCHOOLS IN THE FRIGGEN NATION by Time Magazine if I'm correct! My school is Franklin's rival, though we have yet to appear on Time.

yeah no.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »

For starters, a living relic like a plesiosaur being discovered isn't going to disprove evolution.  There are plenty of "living fossils" that have gone unchanged for millions of years-sharks, crocodiles, turtles. etc.

Secondly, Nessie isn't really accepted by mainstream science. So this is try to prove something with something you can't prove either.

Like some of the other members of the board, I've got an interest in Cryptozology. I love the idea that there are actual monsters in the world. I've read plenty of books, articles and watched plenty of tv shows devoted to the subject. BUT, as I heard the evidence for and against it I too have come to the conclusion that most cryptids aren't real.  There might  be the one or two exceptions, but most are mis-identification.

As for my spiritual beliefs, I guess I have what is called a theist view of the universe.  That is, I believe in the big bang, evolution over millions of years-but that God is "behind the scenes" if you will. And that the Bible is meant more to be take figuratively rather than literally. I went to Catholic schools all they way up to college and we were taught evolution in the science class (and never told we had to reject it), and religion was taught in the religion classes.   There's room in my life for reason and faith.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »

That article's a parody, right?

I've actually been to Loch Ness and had a good time there, but lemme tell you, while it's a lovely place, the entire area is a tourist trap that makes I-75's "See Rock City" seem classy in comparison.

There's the "Original Loch Ness Monster Museum" and down the road its hated rival, the "Official Loch Ness Monster Museum". (The way they talk trash about each other is hilarious! "Ooch, yer din wanna go thair, we're the real deal, we are, but thair a lot of crooks...") If it wasn't for the legend of the monster bringing people in, the entire local economy would crumble, and I wouldn't for one second put it past the people who live there to lie and fake morning, noon, and night to keep the tourist buses coming.

Don't get me wrong, I love Nessie! But if you want the real story, just follow the money.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »

This seems a lot like something out of the Onion. It wouldn't be the first time a parody/satire article has been mistaken for actual news and "reprinted" by a non-parody news source.

As for Nessie, I don't think it exists. How many times has Loch Ness been searched?
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 11:17:58 PM »

This seems a lot like something out of the Onion. It wouldn't be the first time a parody/satire article has been mistaken for actual news and "reprinted" by a non-parody news source.

As for Nessie, I don't think it exists. How many times has Loch Ness been searched?
And how many times has the two behind the mystery say it was all a hoax? TeddyR

yeah no.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 12:38:54 AM »

You want a real cryptid?  Go to Lake Champlain.  Much more appropriate environment for a giant fish eating beastie!

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »

Are there really schools promoting the Loch Ness Monster as an antithesis
I first read this as "Are there really schools promoting the Loch Ness Monster as an atheist."

I think I like it better that way. 
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Nessie > Evolution? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.