Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:15:43 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Metropolis: Early Sci-Fi Blended With Horror « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Metropolis: Early Sci-Fi Blended With Horror  (Read 6349 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: June 29, 2012, 08:58:18 PM »

I know not many people think of the classic Metropolis film in terms of being an Horror film and clearly it's much more in the realm of futuristic Science Fiction yet I cannot help but notice all the elements in it that are also present in many of the horror films that followed it in the following decades, not that Metropolis was necessarily the first in this regard either. Still there's some undeniable horror imagery present in this film. In the film, there's a mad scientist of sorts with Rotwang, a female soulless doppelganger robot that nevertheless undertakes obviously evil and immoral actions and seemingly delights in them, the "evil machine god" sequence with Moloch, the pentagram constantly behind the robotic Maria, and I'm sure others I'm forgetting. Anyone else have any thoughts on this and how Sci-Fi and Horror were so closely intertwined in the early silent era of films and even into the 30s and 40s and beyond. Feel free to expand upon and discuss this.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »

Very interesting....I'd never actually thought of that but I have to agree. "Metropolis" blended Science Fiction with some truly frightening images/concepts which made it a true classic of both.  Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 03:45:57 PM »

There's something about those old style effects and setting that make things seem far more unsettling than if they had been done with modern affects. 
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:52:24 PM »

Another great image from the film. Obviously the film was influenced by the Gothic Horror of the period.

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 12:24:37 PM »

There's something about those old style effects and setting that make things seem far more unsettling than if they had been done with modern affects. 

Very true. Smile

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 12:12:11 PM »

I didn't notice, but your right it has alot of horror elements.  Society being destroyed.  The end fight on the top of a cathedral.  Its all there.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »

METROPOLIS is a true classic.
Why did you post it in the BAD movies section?

Metropolis has everything-social commentary-a prerun of FRANKENSTEIN with the creation of the Robotrix Maria,Rudolf Klien Rogge-(who is CLASSIC!-check hinm out in the DR.MABUSE FILMS!!!!)...and it was directed by Fritz Lang-in my opinion a master. Hitchcock learned all he knows from Lang.
M
The DR.MABUSE series
SIEGFRIIED
WOMAN IN THE MOON

Lang was a f**king master.
Forrest J.Ackerman said METROPOLIS was his favorite film of all time.
I can see why he would feel so.

It's a bonafide classic.

And call me strange-( Lookingup like that would be the first time),but I think Brigette Helm is dam sexy!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 07:04:22 PM »

To be honest with you RC, I didn't intend to really post it in the Bad Movie section. I just happened to be there when it popped into my head for a thread idea. And honestly I do feel some of the very eary horrors/sci-fi  have a lot of similarities from the 20s through the 30s and 40s with Universal. Before the fifties, sci-fi and horror seems so very married to one another. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein, The Man Who Changed His Mind, etc. etc.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »

So O.K. technically the 50s and beyond had a lot of sci-fi merged with horror as well but the focus seemed to shift more towards the sci-fi in the 50s I felt what with werewolf and vampire films even given scientific explanations of sorts.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 08:40:25 PM »

To be honest with you RC, I didn't intend to really post it in the Bad Movie section. I just happened to be there when it popped into my head for a thread idea. And honestly I do feel some of the very eary horrors/sci-fi  have a lot of similarities from the 20s through the 30s and 40s with Universal. Before the fifties, sci-fi and horror seems so very married to one another. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein, The Man Who Changed His Mind, etc. etc.

I would agree with that statement 100%.
The Universal films borrowed heavialy from-well-
FRANKENSTEIN from the CABIENTof DR.CALIGARI.
Look at the sets of MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE(1932)-It's CALIGARI...

Thing is-silent films were very infulamtual on popo culture-Batman came from the BAT (1929)

...and the Joker-yeah-

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 12:58:40 PM »

And call me strange-( Lookingup like that would be the first time),but I think Brigette Helm is dam sexy!

SHE might be, but that pic is not.  Thisi s one I really need to re-watch, I saw in back in the 80's, and don't remember a lot of the stylistic stuff.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »

I would agree with that statement 100%.
The Universal films borrowed heavialy from-well-
FRANKENSTEIN from the CABIENTof DR.CALIGARI.
Look at the sets of MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE(1932)-It's CALIGARI...

Thing is-silent films were very infulamtual on popo culture-Batman came from the BAT (1929)

...and the Joker-yeah-

Virtual karma to you RC for that. Everything influences everything else it seems as times goes on although each new era adds something new for better or worse.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Metropolis: Early Sci-Fi Blended With Horror « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.