Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:05:00 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  David Lowery (Camper van Beethoven) rips NPR intern over "free music" blog post « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: David Lowery (Camper van Beethoven) rips NPR intern over "free music" blog post  (Read 1484 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: June 30, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »

http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/letter-to-emily-white-at-npr-all-songs-considered/

My favorite quote: "Congratulations, your generation is the first generation in history to rebel by unsticking it to the man and instead sticking it to the weirdo freak musicians!"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:36:49 AM »

I read this article and I must say it does change the way I look at the situation. I understood the people's frustration when the music industry went to CDs, which then seemed and largely were very fragile, while doing all they could to prevent people from making copies, even legitimate ones. To a kid who made enough in a full day of work to buy 2 Cds at most, it seemed like we were being set up. (especially considering how cassettes could be thrown around with little to no damage). But it's all gotten WAY out of hand for WAY too long. Unfortunately, some of the people in the music industry fighting piracy just seem like douchebags and make it hard for some to care about the artists as a whole. That Metallica knucklehead that was so vocal was probably their side's most counterproductive figure. I know for years whenever I'd hear people speak out against music piracy I'd think of him and not really care.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:24:13 AM »

You're right in that the anti-piracy people have often been douches and that helped turn public opinion against them. The RIAA's strategy of suing random grandmas for tens of thousands of dollars backfired mightily.

ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »

True, but looking back, what else could they do to make it a personal issue with people? I remember back in the Commodore 64 days, people really thought there was nothing wrong with copying games as long as you don't sell them. It was the "I wasn't going to buy it anyways, so how am I hurting the maker?" mentality. People just simply did not look at stealing music as a crime, and when it was pointed out that it was still stealing, it was the old "everyone is doing it so it can't be THAT bad" line of thinking.

One place where the piracy advocates almost made sense was when people blamed gangster rap on the proliferation of street violence, I have to say I sympathized with them: Some A-holes were glorifying violence while making huge money off it, all the while living in gated communities with private security teams protecting them from the exact thing they are glorifying. I truly feel those people owe society something, I'm just not sure what or how.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »

I copied LPs and CDs onto tape when I was young, and so on, without thinking about it; it never occurred to me that it was wrong and selfish. The difference between then and now is that it took time to make a copy, and you could only do one at a time. Illegal copying cut into profits, sure, but it was limited: it took time to make the copy, you had to have a physical copy of the CD and some physical media to record it on, and if my friends didn't own a recording I wanted I would have to go out and buy it. Now people can rip a CD in seconds and share it with millions of people, not just a single friend, and you can download whatever you're interested in with just a simple search. It's way too easy.

A further irony is that people like the ones who ran the original Napster or the current Pirate Bay aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts or their belief that "information wants to be free." They're making thousands off of advertising. They're basically big corporations, no different than the recording industry corporations people claim to hate except that they're even more dishonest and unscrupulous.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  David Lowery (Camper van Beethoven) rips NPR intern over "free music" blog post « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.