Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:54:32 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Piranhaconda (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Piranhaconda (2012)  (Read 3494 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: July 01, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »

For starters, I think there is something to be said for the fact that the Syfy channel originals have given up ANY pretense of being anything other then shlocky cheap films and in fact seem to be embracing it.  One of their latest Piranhaconda  is no exception.

There's two sort of main plots; one involving Micheal Madsen as a herpetologist who is trying to get an egg back to civilization and the other is about a group of kidnappers who have taken a film crew hostage. There also seems to be several smaller plots going on-but they are often introduced and dealt with in the same scene.

The acting is mediocre at best, most really aren't that good. And poor Rachel Hunter. She goes through this entire movie with the expression on her face that tells you she realizes that she was one one of biggest supermodels in the world and is now starting in a bit part in a movie about a giant killer snake creature.

The titular Piranhaconda-to me was not all that interesting.  It really is just a giant snake with a piranha's head and teeth. Its the same problem I have with the glut of movies about killer sharks and spiders.  I'd like a more original looking monster- or find some new animal to exploit.  Anyway, despite being nearly 70 ft long, it has the amazing ability to get a few inches from some of the characters faces before its noticed.

A few good bad movie moments though. Like when some people are supposedly in the deep jungle yet are clearly walking on paths from the resort, and in a few shots-roads and other man made structures could be seen.  Also that people seem to explode like balloons filled with fake blood when eaten.

In the end all I can really say about it is that  "It's a Syfy movie".  You should be able to figure out all you need to from that sentence.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »

I'm afraid these Scyfy aquatic monster movies jumped the megashark about a year ago.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »

I actually enjoy these stupid things, and there's like...two or three dozen of them now   BounceGiggle  They're fun, they're littered with babes in bikinis, they're...fun.  At least they're more entertaining than a lot of those older SyFy movies that were just dull.  If your antagonist is a bargain basement CGI snake, you might as well just drop the pretense and go with it.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »

I'm afraid these Scyfy aquatic monster movies jumped the megashark about a year ago.
agreed, I vaguely enjoyed the octopus one with debbie gibson from a few yrs back (on an ironic level of course), but since watching a couple more the phrase "flogging a dead horse" almost seems too kind..

If these things are supposed to be our modern day 'bad movies' then I'm afraid they just don't measure up to 60s/70s/80s bad movies in terms of enjoyment factor, for me. they have none of that innocent charm or bizarre randomness that makes old bad movies special. total reliance on CGI doesn't help either

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 07:39:07 AM »

To me what separates these things from the bad movies of the past is intent. Ed Wood, Phil Tucker, Andy Milligan, Larry Buchanan, etc. didn't think at the time they were making 'bad movies' - they were doing the best they could with very limited resources and talent. Of course, the results were usually pretty funny.

The SyFy folks are now intentionally trying to make schlocky bad movies and it shows. Some of their older ones like SNAKEHEAD TERROR, FRANKENFISH, ABOMINABLE (with the cartoony bloodthirsty bigfoot - A favorite!), and SAVAGE PLANET (that one about the alien planet of bear stock footage! An Andrew favorite!), back when they were at least pretending to make quality films, can be actually quite effective and are still fun.

SAVAGE PLANET
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:47:50 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »

To me what separates these things from the bad movies of the past is intent. Ed Wood, Phil Tucker, Andy Milligan, Larry Buchanan, etc. didn't think at the time they were making 'bad movies' - they were doing the best they could with very limited resources and talent. Of course, the results were usually pretty funny.

The SyFy folks are now intentionally trying to make schlocky bad movies and it shows.
I agree with this to an extent, but it implies the SyFy people could make a genuinely good film if they wanted, and I don't believe this is the case.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »

I dunno, the NAMES are enough entertainment.  I'm holding out for
Squirrelopus
Crocobunny
And the immortal
Pirhanagatorsquid

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:52:32 PM »

The SyFy folks are now intentionally trying to make schlocky bad movies and it shows.
I agree with this to an extent, but it implies the SyFy people could make a genuinely good film if they wanted, and I don't believe this is the case.

Actually what I meant was the SyFy folks could try to make a genuinely good low budget film about a giant former sitcom star-eating octorangutan and come out with a entertainingly bad movie.  TeddyR

Again: some of their earlier, more serious-minded attempts like RAPTOR ISLAND and PTERODACTYL are actually quite a lot of fun.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Piranhaconda (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.