Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:30:42 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Badmovies.org Food Tours « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Badmovies.org Food Tours  (Read 5441 times)
claws
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:46:24 AM »

Let's say I'd came for a visit in your town and you have to guide me to your favorite places for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Where would you take me and what's on the menu?

Keeping it strictly local (if possible), I would take YOU for ...

breakfast at BackWerk (BakeWorks). It's a German self-serve bakery/snack chain with fresh, high quality food. I would recommend their tasty 12 inch beef sausage wrapped in cheese and puff pastry. Warm and delicious. Or their classy Panini sandwich.

It's mozzarella or turkey on Ciabatta with a creamy, home made dressing! For dessert: a Coconut Vanilla Banana smoothie across the street at the mall.

Quick snack before lunch: coffee to go (best in town) and the best (yes!) strawberry glazed donuts ever, both at Café Baier. The donuts are expensive but totally worth it.

Lunch at my favorite Turkish hole-in-the-wall deli Obstkorb (Fruit Basket). Their hearty and huge but cheap doener platter are great. People stand in line during "lunch hour".

Dinner: If its carp season, I would recommend deep fried pepper carp with shredded green salad and tater salad. They are equally good at every restaurant in our area.

or may an XXL schnitzel with a creamy cheese gravy and fries would tickle your fancy:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:31:00 AM by claws » Logged
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:14:27 AM »

In Preston, for breakfast we'd go to Brucciani's for a full-english breakfast.

We'd go for lunch at my favourite biker pub, The Dog & Partridge and probably have a curry burger with side salad. We'd have a hobgoblin dark ale too.  Drink

And for dinner, to the Café bar for a penne diana (pasta, chicken, mushrooms, french mustard sauce, parmesan)

claws
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:47:49 AM »

Always wanted to try a full-english breakfast, though I had similar (minus beans) at brunches. It looks fabulous.
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »

Oh god we're a foodie city so I wouldn't know where to begin.

It depends on the person coming over, as I'd try and open their minds a little to some interesting places outside of their normal comfort zone.  If you're from overseas, going to see the Australian Rules Football whilst having a meat pie is probably on the list [last time I took an American, he kept questioning why we make such things]  Not exactly a feast but still.

+

We destroy brunch in my area, so many good places.  A good chicken parma is a pretty stereotypical Australian meal.

I've also been obsessed with a Pulled Pork Burger from a pub around the corner.  It is absolute heaven.

[I swear there are actually healthy, quality options available but I haven't had dinner yet and am craving meals like the above.]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »

Too many good places, I really don't know where to start! But I'll try.

For breakfast, we'll go to PJ's Coffee for treats and drinks (If you're not into coffee, there's always tea and other beverages)

For lunch, we would go to Adam's Street Deli and Grocery for some po-boys TongueOut

Dinner, we would....geez, that's really a hard one. TeddyR

yeah no.
Venomx73
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »

Papa's Tomato Pies, Trenton New Jersey Thumbup

Delorenzo's pizza, Trenton New Jersey

The Jerzey shore has alot of good food as well.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:25:37 PM »

Breakfast?  How about the Black Bear, just west of me in Beaverton.
Good chicken fried steak!  Yummers!

For lunch we'll go out to Helvatia Tavern for their knockout burgers, just off of 26W.
(this is one of their smaller burgers, but they all taste wonderful)

Dinner?  If I didn't have to go strictly local, the Olive Garden is awesome.  Bottomless soups!  Great pizza!  Hell, everything I've had there is great!
But local..?  Hmm, I'll spring for an expensive but crazy good steak dinner for ya at The Ringside.  With a big ol' potato cheese soup too if ya like.

The Portland metropolitan area really has everything you could possibly want.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »

Curse you! I feel fatter and hungrier just lookin' at that stuff!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
claws
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »

Breakfast?  How about the Black Bear, just west of me in Beaverton.
Good chicken fried steak!  Yummers!

I grew up with hot breakfast but its totally not the norm in Germany. Usually the only thing hot is coffee, and maybe an boiled egg. Different cultures indeed.
Germany has adapted over the years though. Some places now serve breakfast "American Style" consisting of eggs, bacon (very thin sliced), toast, orange juice and if you are lucky, sausages or ham.

I can't even imagine the reactions when serving chicken fried steak for breakfast here  TeddyR
Venomx73
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »

Claws, can you recommend some good German food? Please, danke!. < 'thanks' right? Smile

There's a German restaurant at the shore, if you recommend something and they have it, we'll try it.
My girlfriend is half German and I want to surprise her. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:12:17 PM by Venomx73 » Logged
claws
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »

Claws, can you recommend some good German food to us? Please, danke!. Smile

I have a German restaurant right near the shore, if you recommend something I'll try it.
My girlfriend is half German and I want to surprise her.

http://www.thedutchmans.com/

menu

Please Try a TASTE

TeddyR

I hope the food isn't as bad as the writing on the menu  Wink

I noticed that pretty much every restaurant in the states offering German food always seem to add red cabbage to every dish. Nice bonus addition maybe, but not correct. Red cabbage is served in Germany only with the accompanying main dish that it was meant to be eaten with. They do not serve red cabbage with schnitzel, chicken or (yikes!) bratwurst (seen that on many US menus).
If you view the addition of red cabbage as part of some sort of sample platter then it's ok. But still not authentic.

Basically you can never go wrong with Schnitzel, but the addition of spätzle (some sort of dumplings) as seen on the menu is mostly unheard of in our region. If you should decide to order the Wiener Schnitzel (or Jäger Schnitzel) tell them to remove the red cabbage and ask for lots of fries instead of spätzle. That's how most Germans enjoy their Schnitzel.

Knockwurst and Bratwurst dish seems to be authentic, and both are also recommended.

Huhn Zigeuner sounds weird, since they are using chicken breasts. Zigeuner Schnitzel is a real dish but I guess that restaurant was aiming for some variety and threw in the chicken breasts instead  Lookingup

Sauerbraten is always recommended but the addition of spätzle is (again) very distracting. I have nothing against spätzle but they do not belong with Sauerbraten. There should be Klöße (Potatoballs) to go with Sauerbraten. Seems like that restaurant does not offer Klöße at all (the number 1 German food) so technically that is a huge fail. If you should order Sauerbraten ask them to make you some friggin' Klöße to go with it, and that they should shove their spätzle  Wink

Konigsburger Klopse (should be Königsberger Klöpse *sigh*) and Maultaschen sound about right as well.
Venomx73
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »

Cool. Thank you, claws. Thumbup

Yeah, I had to edit my post, it seems that's the wrong restaurant anyway. I needed the one by Wildwood, NJ.

K. We'll try Schnitzel or Sauerbraten and Klöße maybe some Bratwurst. Thanks again. Smile
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Badmovies.org Food Tours « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.